“Interesting location- lodging not so much” 3 of 5 stars

85 Defuniak Street, Grayton Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459   |
Offers & Announcements
Two Free Weekdays
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Interesting location- lodging not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Stopped here based on tripadvisor reviews. First impression- owner made me stand and shuffle my feet for quite some time while she continued a personal call on her cel. They want to trade on we're casual. Pointed up toward the room. No key to lock the room. Casual. Never traded more than a "Hello" with the owners. Room is kinda diy b&b casual. Kinda noisy intersection if you open the windows. Gals working in the Cafe seemed depressed and avoided eye contact. Owners very distracted by other onsite events never noticed we came and went. Casual.

1904 structure but nothing much left of that.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
I was looking through our old reviews on Trip Advisor, and saw that no one ever responded to yours.
My name is Stephanie, and I just took over as manager of Hibiscus in November 2011.
I am so sorry you had that experience here. I would love the opportunity to make it up to you, and possibly change your mind.
If your ever in the area again, PLEASE, come in, and ask for ME personally...... I will buy you breakfast.
Hope all is well, and again, my sincere apologies for such a negative impression.
Stephanie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We met relatives here for a 2-night stay. Our rooms were large, with nice bathrooms and kitchenettes. The Funky Bird room was a hoot. Down the road is the popular Grayton Beach Red Bar for dinner and Shorty's was accommodating while we watched our Butler Bulldogs capture the Horizon League title. Eden State Park which has a nice garden with camellias and sculptures is a short drive. Nearby Seaside was a nice 1/2 day visit with lunch outside at the Great Southern Cafe. Lots of State Parks are in the area. Breakfast at the Hibiscus didn't disappoint. Almost every dish was piled with fruit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
THANKS!!!!!
Pensacola, Destin and Panama City are fantastic vacation cities for people, but we thrive on being that "undiscovered treasure"
I am grateful it's being recognized.
Stephanie
New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Hibiscus House has a laid back, funky atmosphere, the breakfasts are filling, and the beach and several outstanding restaurants are nearby. (Don't miss Fire or Borago.) The common areas are lovely and plentiful, and there are many nooks for relaxing. One of the rooms is pet-friendly, and a pet-friendly stretch of beach is nearby. My main complaint was the bed, which was lumpy and sagged in the middle. For just a little more per night, I've found private homes on vrbo.com that offer more space, closer proximity to the beach, and a better night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Stephanie V, Manager at Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Looking through old reviews... found yours! Thanks. (Come back and see us)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

This was the perfect spot for my boyfriend and I to stay. We stayed here for 5 nights and it was wonderful. The hibiscus is very close to the beach and only about a 30 minute drive from Destin or to Panama City. It's cute, comfortable and so charming. We were so glad we stayed here instead of a crowded, boring hotel. The breakfast was delicious, the room was adorable and just big enough. We weren't in there much during the day anyway. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My wife and I decided to take a last minute trip to Grayton Beach for a long weekend. After searching the internet for several hours, we found many rental properties in the area to choose from, but none could match the value of the Hibiscus guesthouse.

Often you get what you pay for, but this is definitely not the case here. The property is set up so that the rooms have separate entrances (although some rooms share a common kitchen area). I personally preferred this to other “Bed & Breakfasts” I have stayed at. The room in which we stayed was very spacious and had a small kitchenette. The breakfast was fabulous and by itself is a reason to stay here. There is a restaurant and general store located next door to the guest house which was very convenient. The only drawback that some may find with the location is that it is about a 1/4 mile walk to the beach. Not a particularly big drawback for us as there are many outlets to the beach a short drive away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Steuben ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

Travelling on business in Pensacola with a weekend off, I decided to check out the Emerald Coast of Florida. I did not make an advance reservation at the Hibiscus, but with good fortune I found this peaceful haven in Grayton Beach. My room, the hibiscus room, was the cheapest at $120 a night. As a budget minded traveller, I found this area overall to be quite expensive so the rate was a pretty good value considering that a filling, healthy and yummy vegetarian breakfast was included. If you are not an early riser like me, I would recommend that you do NOT choose one of the rooms above the cafe. The cafe begins bustling at 7am and may disturb those who enjoy sleeping late or seeking quiet space. The facilities (bed, bath, internet connection) were all good. It was a little chilly the first night as my room did not have its own heater. Fortunately, I had the place to myself so I turned up the heat in an adjacent room. I found my room to be the perfect size for a solo traveller, maybe too small if you are travelling with a spouse or friend. The mature, natural landscape that surrounds the inn is fantastic. The friendly staff are available during the day. After hours is available by phone. --- Grayton Beach is sandwiched between Destin/Miramar beach to the west which is bustling and crowded. Watercolor/Seaside/Rosemary Beach are to the new exclusive communities to the east which seem to sterile and plastic for my liking.

• Liked — grayton beach location, natural surroundings, free bikes, breakfasts!
  • Disliked — stretched my budget.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mywntime3
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We recently spent 6 days at the Hibiscus Cafe and Guesthouse
It does not get any better than this.
The room was clean, cool and comfortable. The Bathroom let me just say One of the best showers I have ever had.
Breakfast at the Cafe is prepared fresh with flavors worth savoring.
Offering a choice of gourment Coffees.
Cheri & the Staff are outstanding, They make you feel relaxed and comfortable from the moment you arrive.
Hibiscus Cafe and Guesthouse is the perfect location for those seeking a simple peaceful enviornment .
The beach is just a short walk past beach cottages ,and friendly folks.
Grayton Beach and the surrounding community is beyond words It really is " A little piece of Heaven "

• Liked — Relaxed CmmunityLack of indoor seating area
  • Disliked — Lack of indoor seating area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hibiscus Coffee and Guesthouse? Share your experiences!