“Good value.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Seligman
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We are always interested in a good bargain when it comes to accommodations, so the nightly rate of $54.90 per night caught our attention. ($58.93, with tax) All we needed was a comfy clean bed, air-conditioning, a TV, and hot water. This is a no-frills place, but it had the basics we required. The owners were very neighborly when we checked in. The place is old, but was clean and repairs were kept up. If we ever need a room in the small town of Seligman again, we would return here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #6.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I parked my car at around 8:30 PM at the romney having just driven in from Sanfrancisco...So I was kinda of tired.. My first impression is , parking is a bit tight and be prepared to back out of your spot onto 66. Second, the place is a bit of a dump. it's an inexpensive dump ,but a dump none the less. You go to the office and you have to open two doors ;one a screen door the second a security door? I checked in and the office person offered two suggestions for dinner, and I was told to just go, not even bother checking into my room, because the restaurants closed at 9. So that was nice. (I don't go to any restaurant just before closing, because it peeves off the wait staff to have diners that close to the end of their shifts). So I just moved my car to infront of my room and was prepared to open the door, when a youngish kitty cat , gray and skittish rounded the corner to great me. It seemed like it wanted to enter my room but didn't. Off to the left (west side of the building) there seems to be piles of junk everywhere , so maybe little kitty was looking for mice or rats.

Nice little kitty though, meowed a quick greeting but scampered away when I stepped closer to it.

The room is beat up, old as the motel is and needs up dating. but it's a 1 star motel not a 4 star hotel and not anything special. It's certainly not quaint by any stretch of the imagination..

You do have the feeling of insecurity at this motel and I would say at any of the others I walked by the next morning, a few lower class locals milling about, seemingly wishing to smash a car window... There's one on the far east side of town....that didn't seem too too bad , but its certainly not walking distance to any restaurants in the "downtown" area of seligman...so if you want to be close to the bars or restaurants, it's the Supai or the romney or a couple of other equally disappointing looking choices.

I'd lock the car, take everything into the room then take every thing back out when you go to gas up your car or eat at restaurants. the town itself seems low life ish...people drifting in off the freeway , locals that pick up cigarette butts off the ground and smoke em ...people like that.

Nothing happened.....but you just got the feeling it was simply a matter of time before the sheriff was called. Weather was good though!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had a blow-out on our Budget truck, filled to the max. So we had to make an unexpected stay in Seligman, AZ. What a quaint little town! It is unique, to say the least! We ended up staying at the Romney Motel which was the most reasonable price and the only hotel in that town that allowed pets (we had 2 cats in tow). They do have "pet-free" rooms for those with allergies. The owners are SO nice, friendly and helpful. I highly recommend staying at this little hotel right off I-40 near the Grand Canyon. We also ate at the RoadKill Cafe just down the street and that is another vErY interesting place!! I give this place a 3.75 out of 5! Happy Trails to all! Cindy :~)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here in September 2011. I've read some good and bad reviews, and I guess in the end it depends on your expectations. The owners were friendly, the rooms were clean, internet was free. I don't expect too much staying in a Motel, a clean room with a bed and helpful staff should suffice. The Motel is within spitting distance to the Black Cat Bar, where we met some of the friendliest people on our US trip, and walking distance to the other attractions in Seligman. If you want 5 star accommodation, your looking in the wrong town. On another point, the town is sometimes described as a tourist trap, perhaps, but can I recommend your stay a day or two, and say hello to the locals, a great bunch of people.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Leuven, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed in Romney Hotel while travelling Route 66. Although this is a budget accommodation, it is good value for money. And it is very clean. The owners are so nice and friendly. When we forgot our jacket in the room, they even sent it over by mail. Without any costs! If you are looking for a clean and affordable place in Seligman, than this is what you look for!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

This motel was beyond horrible. TV didn't work, fridge didn't work, dead bugs in tub, bathroom window OPEN and wouldn't close, bed and carpets filthy. Also lied about price and we demanded to not be charged...and were charged more. Woman who works there is extremely dishonest. Don't take your dog because they will become infested. Oh, let's not forget the fire hazard with the cords all being plugged into one extension. Cannot say enough to warn you away.

• Stayed November 2011
San Diego County
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We had need for several nights stay on local business. Room was Very small but adequate. Pros: Had the larger refir/mirco requested. Wi Fi Good..no chrg. Staff: friendly. Ample lamps/lighting in room. TV good. Convienent parking at the door-downstairs. Cons: Many outdated things in room, mostly the elec. outlets. Not as clean as should have been in general. Didn't realize until we were unpacked, Carpet; dusting in general. [Not one of their re-vamped rooms] Pics all are taken of newer rooms. Ours didn't look like them. Bed hard; no chrg. Would I stay again at this motel?: probably look for a higher rating, with more positive comments.[If poss. ck out motels/rooms In town before resvs. vs. online resvs]. Town is Great, we know it well. Eating is good. For an excellent steak and other menu items, go to Road Kill Cafe. Lilo's has a good-different menu as well, and will serve breakfast longer hours. This is normally a "pass through town"..for those not staying long. But getting to Know the area is the fun of Being in the area. Same with the locals, good 'ole regular friendly folks, easy to visit with. Be sure to check your weather info.for area along Rte. 66/I 40. Can get tough, including snow later on. So now, Enjoy your trip through the Great town of Seligman.!

Room Tip: Look at/check out rooms before resvs. made. Some rooms have been renovated evidently...other's n...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Romney Motel? Share your experiences!