“Nice resort, large rooms and proximity to hiking” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Summer Rates from $149
Ranked #29 of 46 hotels in Sedona
Bucks County, Pa
“Nice resort, large rooms and proximity to hiking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Sedona for 3 nights in June as part of a 2 week trip through the west. We choose a suite for our family of 4 and were very happy with the choice. We were travelling with another family whose experieces and opinion were identical to our own.
Location first: We found the Hilton Sedona great for access to (and a beautiful view of) the Bell rock and Courthouse rock areas for hiking, climbing, and cycling. You can get your required Redrocks parking passes in the hotel giftshop. The hotel is outside of downtown Sedona - which helps avoid a lot of the traffic and construction currently in that area. We were told the construction is at least a year away from completion, and can really snarl traffic. Downtown Sedona can be as short as 15 minutes or as long as 45 and seems unpredictable. Allow plenty of time. The area seems to be growing, and besides the hotel itself, there are a few shopping and dining establishments nearby - ranging from casual to higher-end. We liked breakfast at "Desert Flour" just up the road - much cheaper than the hotel breakfast buffet.
Hotel and staff: Our room was ready before posted check-in time - staff was friendly and efficient though we did find the concierge was incorrect on a few things (eg: the Lowell Observatory is not open Sunday evenings as he said they were. Fortunately we had him call to verify before we drove to Flagstaff). Meanwhile, the lobby and common areas all looked clean and well maintained. Icewater carafes and cups in the lobby were a welcome touch in the desert! I did see Internet was available in the lobby but I didn't see Wifi. My verizon Aircard worked well however.
Outside: The pool area and landscaping were very nice - with heavily cushioned lounge chairs that were a step above and a view of Courthouse rock in the distance. We ate lunch by the pool several days and the food was good, the wait/bar staff were also very friendly.
Rooms: The spacious rooms worked out perfectly - two queen beds in the bedroom with a flat-screen tv, a dressing area and sink that were separate from the bathroom. The living room had a sofa, fireplace, and another TV - (great for separating CNN from Nickelodeon). The main room also had a kitchenette area with a microwave, nice newer coffee maker, cabinets, and a small dining table for 4. The rooms looked well maintained or possibly even recently renovated
Only two odd things about the room. One, the kitchenette was ok but basically useless - no flatware, cups or plates and the under-counter fridge is a mini bar - with instructions not to store personal items inside. So I'm not sure how much value it actually provides - other than a bit of extra storage space.

The other was the overall design and layout of the rooms make for small, mostly-shaded windows. The balcony was also tiny - two people would really have to squeeze to sit outside. I suppose all this shade helps save on air conditioning (it is the desert after all), but it gave the living room and kitchen a very DARK feel. I kept wanting to open more windows. Our view was basically a parking lot view - with some interesting desert beyond that. Our friends view was equally dull on the other side of the hallway - though if they craned their neck they could see some of the golf course.

Food: We only did breakfast at the hotel once - I just felt $19 a person for a scrambled egg buffet was excessive - even by downtown New York City standards. A "cold buffet" was available for $12 I believe. I think the buffet quailty was only average. For the rest of the stay we got takeout from Desert Flour - very good. We also had a few snacks/lunches by the pool - no complaints there. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner - we ate in town.

Overall a nice hotel in a beautiful location. No real complaints other than price of breakfast. I would definitely consider staying there again.

• Liked — proximity to Bell/Courthouse rock, large suites
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

1,287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

A nice enough place but I wouldn't stay here too many days if it was coming out of my pocket. I could see where it would do very well for splurging on a romantic weekend but I don't have a feel for the local competition - with the generic, corporate vibe at the Hilton I'd like to see if I could do better. Otherwise, not having the benefit of great gobs of money to drop on lodging I tend to look for places that don't charge extra for internet, health club, etc etc. Suites are always nice but is the space really needed such as when traveling with the kids. The kitchenette feature would be nice but as noted earlier - no utensils, flatware or refrigerator? I did see they would provide one but didn't need it bad enough to ask if there would be an additional charge for that too.

I liked the location, away from the Sedona traffic mess, a few good restaurants covering a wide spectrum available in the village, just right on the corner is the Cucina Rustica for nice, and the Village Griddle for everyday. Easy access to hiking also. But again I don't have a feel for the competition right in Sedona - I could see where some of those might provide somewhat of sense of buffering from all the activity of Sedona while offering convenience of proximity.

• Liked — Lcoation away from Sedona
  • Disliked — No refrigerator in 'kitchenette', extra charges internet access etc
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

The hotel was very nice. The room and view were great. The only minus was that the hotel is about a twenty minute drive from downtown sights and shopping and tours.

Sandy Springs, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

The hotel was nice, typical Hilton, but we were expecting more. First, it's supposed to be a spa, which they do have, but it's in a seperate building behind the hotel. The spa's we've been to in the past were more integrated into the whole property which really gave the hotel a spa atmosphere, this was not. The property is well kept and the scenery is absolutely amazing. The pools were a lot smaller than we expected. Our room faced the family pool which was heated (good thing since it was in the 70's while we were there). The hot tab was nice, but it would be better if they would take out some of the bushes so you actually have a view from the hot tub. The adult pool looked green which kept us away from it. Our room was nice, King Suite, so we had a seperate living area and a small kichenette. One odd thing, the kichenette had a lot of drawers that were all empty. Not one dish, fork, spoon, glass...nothing; so why have it at all? The conceirge was very helpful on where to go hiking, etc. The restaurant. We did eat at the on site restaurant, Grille at ShadowRock, one night. It was very disappointing. The food is very overpriced for the quality, and the menu seems like the chef is trying to cover the food with every kind of sauce they can think of. I got the Elk Chops which were very fatty. The menu would be better if they made it simpler. Tone down the sauces a bit too. As for the hotel not being in Sedona, yeah it's in Oak Creek, which is 7 miles from downtown Sedona, but who can complain with the view!!

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The view from our room, 3060
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is the most charming hotel we've stayed at in years!

Keeping in mind some of the reviews we've read here, we were surprised that anyone would complain that the hotel isn't actually in Sedona. Everywhere you drive in and around the hotel is absolutely breathtaking so the ten minute drive from the hotel to Sedona is enjoyable.

As for the Hilton itself, we couldn't have been more pleased. This hotel is charming from the lobby with its fireplace and comfy sofas, to the professional and friendly staff. Everyone there was totally responsive to any questions we had such as a good place to eat or the best way to the Grand Canyon. One of the girls at the desk told us we should go to the Grand Canyon one way and return another. We are so happy we followed the routes she suggested as the drive there and back was just so beautiful.

We stayed in a small, one bedroom suite with a fireplace and this was the cleanest hotel room we've ever stayed in, period! The furnishings looked new and clean so maybe there's been a recent remodeling? The balcony was little and cozy and we enjoyed sitting, reading and talking there as we looked out at the red rock formations.

The pools are heated and there are lovely firepits to sit around and talk in the evenings. The spa has everything you could possibly want and has great hours.

The restaurant is pricey but as Hilton Gold members we had a complimentary continental breakfast which was very good. Fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea, pastries, oatmeal and cereals. Also, there are plenty of other places to eat nearby.

The walls are thin enough that it's annoying listening to doors slam if people enter and exit their rooms continuously. However, what hotel doesn't have this problem?

We highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a charming place to stay in Red Rock country. And we will certainly return many times in the years to come.

• Liked — Absolutely charming, clean hotel and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — No free internet.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

Our seven day stay at the Hiton Sedona Resort and Spa came with some mixed reviews. First, the Hotel itself is not in Sedona. It is located in The Village of Oak Creek, about 5 - 6 miles south of Sedona which is really not a big deal unless you factor in the road construction between The Village and Sedona. It is set in a lovely location looking out over Bell Rock and Courthouse Rock. Quite magnificient. The hotel was very nice. We were told it had recently been remodeled. We had a King Suite with a separate living room overlooking the golf course. It was quite a nice view and very quiet. We enjoyed sitting out on the small patio at night looking at the stars. The room had a gas log fireplace, dining table and microwave and coffee pot and sink. The separate bedroom was large and had ample closet space. The bathroom had a separate lavatory area with the tub/shower in a separate room. We only had a couple of problems with housekeeping. One day after returning to our room, I noticed that the housekeeping staff had left pillow cases on my suitcase. Another time, we were not left any clean towels. After calling twice, they brought up one towel even though we requested an entire set. Other than that, the concierge staff was most helpful; the doorman was delightful and the desk clerk was efficient.

Now, the bad news is the restaurant. I have no other word for the food and the service but horrible. I have received better service at fast food restaurants and tasted better food in airports. The Tuesday evening special pork tenderloin was so dry and overcooked, I could not cut it with a knife. At breakfast, you almost had to trip a waiter to get coffee.

If you can avoid the restaurant, which we learned quickly to do, then the hotel stay was very nice.

We also took advantage of the spa and it was fabulous. Very clean, serene and the massages were welcome after a long day of hiking the red rocks. The staff was exemplary.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The restaurant
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

I'm having a hard time deciding if I had a 3 star experience or a 4 star experience. The hotel was nice – typical Hilton and typical Southwestern décor. We had a King suite, which gives you a separate bedroom from the living room area and a TV in each room. It was $285/night. It had a good sized kitchen table, a microwave and an honor-bar refrigerator. It also had a nice fireplace, though it was too hot to actually use. Off the living room, there was a small balcony with two chairs and a table. Unfortunately, our view was of the parking lot, but if you can look past that, the distant views in every direction are so beautiful.

The grounds are nice and have lots of beautiful natural vegetation around the property. We saw quail and various kinds of lizards almost every time we walked around. The spa is in the back of the property, just past the pool. They offered several different kinds of massages, and I wanted to try something different so I opted for the Ayurveda style Desert Lotus Journey. It was $140, plus a $25 tip. I thought it was on the pricey side, but the spa environment was very peaceful and buying a service gets you access to the fitness center for the day. We did not use the workout room, but it was huge and had lots of good equipment. I had mentioned to the massage therapist that we were celebrating our 8th anniversary and when we left the spa, they gave us a small bottle of sparkling cider and two plastic champagne glasses.

One very important thing to note, the Hilton in NOT located in Sedona. It’s about 7 miles south of Sedona in Oak Creek Village. I knew this going in, and since we had a vehicle, I didn’t care. I actually picked it because I thought it wouldn’t be as busy as the hotels in Sedona. I was wrong – I learned they were full when we checked in because I tried to upgrade to the Jacuzzi suite, but was told there are only four, so unless you are a 5-star Platinum Hilton Honors member, I doubt you’d ever be able to get one of those.

There was an upscale restaurant within walking distance and a shopping/outlet center just up the road. If you do not have transportation, you’re kind of stuck with all Hilton food and activities. Sedona seems to attract a lot of seniors and a lot of them were at the Hilton. My husband and I are immature 40-year olds and we were a little disappointed that everything shut down around 9 PM. We hung out at the pool one afternoon and found people closer to our age laying out and having cocktails at the pool bar.

Now for the food … we ordered room service twice. The first night, the wings were over-done and even though I asked for ranch, they brought blue cheese. My husband had the club sandwich which came with fries. We also split a piece of chocolate which was big enough for us to share. The bill was around $50. The second night we each ordered the peppercorn flat iron steak. It was PERFECT. However, it did not come with any side dishes. Our bill for the two steaks and a slice of cheese cake was around $75. We provided our own drinks each time.

We drove into town several times for shopping, aura and psychic readings and had lunch at a couple of Mexican food restaurants. The worst was Oaxaca Restaurant & Rooftop Cantina. I loved the décor and the view from the enclosed patio. However, the food was horrible! It was bland and tasted like it came out of a can. The next day we tried Javelina Cantina. The food was much better and it still had a nice view. They offered indoor, covered patio and outdoor seating and had great views from most areas of the restaurant. The rest of Hilltop Plaza was also beautiful … lots of fountains, sculptures and a couple of shops.

Overall, nothing was wrong with the Hilton, I just felt that for the money, we could have stayed at one of the other resorts for a more authentic experience. We drove around and checked out some of the other hotels listed on tripadvisor (well, three stars or better). Next time we’re going to stay at either the Sedona Rouge (much nicer than their web site makes it look), Enchantment, which looked as good as the website states, but it’s around 15 – 20 miles outside the city, but from the opposite side of where the Hilton is located. It’s probably the most expensive place there, but the seclusion, the spa and other amenities sure looked like it would be worth it. I would also have to guess that because it’s so far away from the city lights, you get to see a lot more stars in the night sky. It was practically surrounded by red rock mountains.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The price
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!