“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Dallas, Texas
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very nice hotel with great views of the red rocks. We did not spend alot of time in the room but we were very satisfied with the hotel and it amenities. Front desk was very pleasant and helpful. They gave us great recommendations on what to do and see in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My Husband and I have stayed here several times in the past few years and just love it. It is a casual resort with spacious rooms and very friendly service. The scenery surrounding the place is truly awesome. Love the restaurant and bar. We were fortunate enough to be there on a Wednesday evening when they have an extended happy hour and live piano music. Food was very good and quite reasonable for the Sedona area. Can't wait until the next trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a red rock view---well worth the little extra money.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Considering the price-point of two other popular resorts as possibilities for this 4-night stay, the Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa seemed like a bargain, but once I arrived, I soon realized why (but, honestly, I could tell from the online pictures and a call to the resort before I made the reservation): the place is in desperate need of an update. The Southwest theme is fine; interior design circa the 1990’s is not.

If you’re looking for a place that’s welcoming or inviting, this isn’t it. No valet parking is available. The wide, expansive lobby is a bit dreary with dark brown stone flooring. In fact, the entire place is saturated in dark browns, navy, and beiges. The glacial elevator brings you to the third floor hallway which looks like it’s stuck in last century: tired, dark Southwestern carpeting, plastic-looking room doors (faux wood?), and the dark yellow paint in the hallway adds to the depressing appearance of the place.

I declined my first room which was on the second floor of this 3-story building. The second room was a view to the closed pool which is undergoing a remodel. However, the two windows were blocked by massive trees which prevented natural light from coming into this dark space. The third and final room also overlooked the closed pool, but the view was unobstructed. I wasn’t interested in a view of the red rocks. I’ve spent enough time in the Southwest that such views from my hotel room are unnecessary. Note that the window for the living space is small and the balcony is very small. For one person, it’s comfortable; for two, it’s really tight.

The room? Tired is the best way to describe it. I had a king suite – plenty of space and the layout was good. The dark wood; the dark, Southwestern colors; the beige carpet; the cranberry-colored Southwestern curtains, etc., etc. made the room appear dark, dated, and tired. Also, the room was dusty! It clearly had not been used in a while. A call to housekeeping revealed that the room had not been occupied in several days since it was the low season. Housekeeping confirmed that service the next day would thoroughly clean and dust the room, which they did. The bathroom contained those dated 1980’s fixtures (i.e., the ones with the gold trim). Good news: the exhaust fan in the bathroom worked very well. (Pet peeve: As a Hilton Honors member, they [as many of the Hilton properties do] provided Nestlé’s bottled water, which is purified (local) drinking water; not spring water.)

Breakfast service in the dining room was appalling; both by the maître d and the wait-persons. Each morning was a lesson in patience and bad service. The waiter and waitress I had over the course of 4 mornings moved as fast as molasses - service was bloody awful. After the 2nd morning, I realized I needed to factor in a long breakfast if I wanted to hit a hiking trail early in the morning. The dining room itself looks like something out of a 1980’s Denny’s restaurant: dark carpeting, dark wood, cheap and beat up furniture, worn carpeting, dirty windows, and well-used utensils. I passed on the buffet as I usually do. People pick over the food and on the third morning, a parent let his kid with a cold sneeze on the serving plates.

On the 3rd night, I ordered room service dinner at 8:10 PM. The hotel was far from crowded and I’m told it would be 40 minutes! Really?? And yes, it did take 40 minutes to deliver the food. To their credit, the food was acceptable in terms of preparation and taste (but they did forget some of the dessert).

The spa area has real potential even though the locker/dressing room is a bit tight and seriously needs a makeover. The Jacuzzi was of sufficient size, but the design and layout were challenging - no more than 5 or 6 could fit comfortably in the space. The steam room and dry sauna were acceptable in terms of size and cleanliness; and both worked well. Really – the steam room was great! There were 4 separate showers, but it did get a bit crowded on one afternoon and individuals had to queue in order to use a stall. The gym, in terms of equipment was acceptable; though, three of the treadmills did not properly work (I think there were a total of 6 or 7 treadmills). Plenty of free weights and machines; and the ones I used were working fine. I passed on any spa treatment (e.g., a massage).

The location of the resort (on the south side of Sedona) worked well for this trip since I had planned to spend a lot of time hiking and visiting areas south of Sedona. If you need be in Sedona proper, you might want to consider another location. The Hilton Resort is not near the hustle and bustle of central Sedona. But, that’s not a problem if you have a car as downtown Sedona isn’t that far.

Overall, the staff is friendly and tries to address issues related to this aging monstrosity. (Except for the breakfast service, which was awful. A call to the restaurant manager went unreturned.) Housekeeping vacillated between good to fair: enough towels left some days - other days, not enough; cups for tea were replenished some days – other days, not.

Other challenges with this “resort:” Headboard was screwed into the wall and it looked like a hatchet job with broken and unsightly plaster where the screw met the wall; the Internet was very slow (best for quick email – any extended surfing was a significant challenge); the gas fireplace had a flame the size of a match; annoying walkie-talkies in the hallway at 8 AM in the mornings and hanging off the belts of maintenance people while walking through the resort; odor in the room – worse when the heater ran or the fireplace was used; and the wet bar area had badly outdated dark cabinetry. The wet bar area did have a sink (a good thing), a refrigerator (better), and a microwave (a good thing, but a huge item that took up a lot of real estate).

A conversation with a bell attendant revealed that the Hilton Resort has been under new ownership for about a year, now. After seeing some encouraging numbers spike upward (whatever that means), management plans to update the resort in late 2013 or early 2014. Another conversation revealed that the last, significant update occurred 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure what they did then, but the motif looks 1990’s to me.

If I had paid in-season prices for this place I would be miffed and annoyed considering the condition of this place. In fact, I’m not sure this place could be called a “resort’ – more like a big hotel with a few extras. If you’re looking for a resort experience, you should seriously consider other options in Sedona. If you’re looking for a faux resort experience, then the Hilton Resort should serve that purpose.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
210edgar, General Manager at Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The views, location, spa, heated swimming pool, service and room size are just amazing in this hotel.
Dinner at the hotel restaurant was also delicious, for a reasonable price you get excellent quality food.
The holiday buffet is not that good, not same quality as the restaurant. I won't recommend it.
Don't try to find the spa by yourself, ask the front desk to take you there. They have golf cars to take people from spa to lobby and back.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Hilton is beautiful and has a great view of the Red Rocks. Our room had a fireplace (gas) which was wonderful at night. We didnt spend a lot of time in the room, but when we did, it was really comfortable.

Room Tip: We had a room on the lobby level but that is actually on the 2nd floor, so when you go to the end, y...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

But a bit tired and sort of dowdy and could use upgrading. Room was clean and staff was pleasant and knowledgeable. The fitness center is a 10 minute walk behind the hotel and while there are many signs in the lobby pointing towards the fitness/ spa ;there isnt a single sign telling you that you must walk or take golf cart to get there.We went around in circles until front desk told us to walk there. Its a well appointed gym with good equipment.
Frankly a bit of a let down

Room Tip: geta room facing mountain
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
210edgar, General Manager at Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your honesty. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest room is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Sedona Resort in early December. The hotel staff that checked me in was a woman from London, can't remember her name, but she was excellent. I had no issues whatsoever, she was efficient and pleasant. The lobby itself is fine, but I felt the room was just OK. For a Hilton resort room, I expected a little more. However, there was a fireplace in the room that worked great, and even a microwave and sink area- so that was very nice too. I think it was the furnishings, they just seemed a bit outdated or something. What I found very disappointing was that you can not use the work-out facility unless the spa is open. Thus, I was not ever able to get in there, since it didn't open until 7:00 am on Sunday morning. The main pool was closed, and I get that it is December- but I wish I knew that before booking the room there. Coming from Chicago, if the pool was heated, we would have found some time to use it. In there defense, though, there was another smaller dipping pool and a hot tub that could be used. I also thought the location would be a bit closer to the main area of town, although that certainly was not a deal breaker, because we had a car. Overall, it was a nice place- I just didn't think it was a Resort place. Not sure if I would stay again or not- could be a completely different vibe during the warmer months.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!