“Love the resort--not the timeshare presentaion” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Up to 15%
Ranked #41 of 47 Hotels in Sedona
Albuquerque
“Love the resort--not the timeshare presentaion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed at the Los Abrigados for one week---March 13th thru the 20th. We had a two bedroom, two bath with a small kitchen area that was just great. The room was a little dated but everything was clean and worked properly. The grounds are just outstanding and you are right next to Oak Creek and next to the shopping village at Tlaquepaque. The ground were very well kept and the location of the resort puts you right in the middle of everything in Sedona. My wife went to multiple exercise classes that were offered though out the day for free and the resort has a full spa and exercise room. The resort has been purchased by Diamond resorts and we went to timeshare presentation for the gift and that is when the vacation went bad. The presentation was scheduled for 90 minutes but lasted for almost 3 and 1/2 hours. We said no at least 6 times and were told to just wait while our voucher (gift) for the Verde Canyon train was completed. Our primary salesman, Richard, was very nice and professional but when we declined twice to him, the closer for the sales team, Phil was called in to offer us a little better deal and we declined. We were told to stand by for voucher and Phil returned with a better deal and again with a better deal---by then we were getting very annoyed with this entire process but we felt trapped because the "voucher" was being competed. After we rejected the last offer by Phil, the Diamond corporate representative had his turn at us and offered a trail offer to schedule one or two weeks at a Diamond resort for a fee and we declined again. Finally, we were escorted down to the lady who had our voucher ready. I have attended may timeshare presentations in the past and we currently have many weeks of timeshares that we love to use and trade, but I will NEVER attend anything having to do with Diamond resorts again. I will have to give you one positive about Diamond, the tour of the resort rooms showed a wonderful set of rooms from a large studio, to a great one bedroom and then the 2 and 3 bedroom units--just great rooms. I am not saying I would not trade into a Diamond resort, I am saying that I will never attend another timeshare presentation for Diamond resorts.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Somerset, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

After a trip to Grand Canyon National park in November, my Boyfriend and I decided to stay in Sedona at Los Abrigados. We picked that resort due to all the wonderful reviews that were shown. Upon check in I was a little dissappointed with the sevice at the front desk. We had read about discounted spa packages or a free treatment with the purchase of a stay, the woman at the front desk blew us off and pushed us on a woman who tried selling us a time share. When we finally got to our room we were very happy with the cozy set up and the fact that it had a fire place. After a nice relaxing dinner out we came back to the room and lit a fire, well be warned it doesn't look like Los Abrigados cleans their chimneys. Our entire room filled with smoke and when running to the front desk the same woman at the front desk seemed un interested and didnt even know we had a fire place. After asking someone what to do she slowly came to the conclusion to call a maintenance worker. When he arrived on the sceen he seemed very angry at us for bothering him and just told us to keep the dorr windows and fans on and then he left. I have to say after all that we went through I enjoyed the room (sans fire place) but HATED the horrible service there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Folsom, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

My wife and I came to Los Abrigados on an RCI exchange for a week. This is an older Mission-style resort that in a previous life was a hotel & conference center. We enjoyed the quiet of our large one-bedroom suite. The kitchen included a refrigerator, conductive range, microwave, blender and a full set of kitchen utensils.

The WiFi connection varies widely throughout the resort. In our first room we had zero connectivity. After four days we were told the room was in a "dead zone" and we were moved to another suite which had 5-bar connectivity. No charge for the internet connection. (There are also 2 computers available for guest use in the lobby.)

The resort includes a sports bar -- the Stakes & Sticks -- which serves lunch and dinner (no longer breakfast). During our stay the management hosted a very fun Super Bowl party with $2 and $3 beers and some delicious sandwiches. The Caesar salad warranted a return trip on another occasion.

Our favorite part of the resort was the full spa -- which is open to hotel guests for free and to locals on a membership basis. There is an outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi. The men's locker room and the women's locker room both had a whirlpool bath, steam room and dry sauna. The spa includes a weight and exercise apparatus room and a trained staff. My wife enjoyed the complimentary yoga and pilates sessions.

Next door to Los Abrigados is a fun small complex of shops and restaurants, patterned after a "traditional" Mexican market place. There are many walk paths around the resort grounds and fun places to explore next to Oak Creek. One evening we participated in a Native American drum ceremony, where we learned from two native Americans about their two different Native American cultures (the Cree and a different band from Wisconsin). In an hour we learned about their social customs and the challenges they faced when growing up. They showed us some basic drum beats and, after practicing, we then participated in the "Paths to the Ancestors" ceremony.

And, of course, the highlight of our week in Sedona was the sunrise ascent in a hot air balloon. This was my wife's first ascent and she was very apprehensive. Afterwards she was one big grin -- ear to ear! We lifted from a spot within the national forest and spent more than an hour drifting and admiring the red rocks for which Sedona is rightly famed. After landing we were served the traditional glass of champagne and fresh blueberry muffins and fruit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I am an owner at Los Abrigados and watched with trepidation when it went through bankruptcy and was bought up by Diamond Resorts. Even more trepidation when they raised the maintenance fees this year and went with great concern after reading the very negative reviews here. And I am most happy to say it seems about the same to me. The pluses are: friendly, helpful staff; really beautiful grounds, great access to Oak Creek, some rooms pet friendly, adjacent to Tlaquepaque Art Village (which has restaurants, galleries, shops, boutiques, and a fabulous sculpture garden.) Negatives are small kitchens, rooms a bit dark as the patios and balconies are overhung so not that much natural light comes through. Beds are comfortable and sleeper sofa is hideous. If you plan to use it, call ahead and make sure they have memory foam mattress to put on top. There was such a mattress on my bed and I could have put it on the sofa if necessary, but I think they have extras.

The rooms are very spacious - I was in a one bedroom this time with my dogs. Very comfortable sofa and chair, good sized dining table with six chairs, decent but not full sized refrigerator, two electric burners, coffee pot, toaster oven, microwave, blender, and a decent array of dishes and flatware. Towels are decent but hardly new and fluffy, heat is excellent (it was 10 degrees out, a good test!), hot water fine. Plenty of closet and drawer space. Furniture and general room furnishings are comparable to a midrange Best Western - and most units definitely need refurbishing, though some are quite acceptable. What you are paying for is a suite and grounds, in my opinion. And a fantastic spa - and gym. Spa includes lovely massages, and the usual spa therapies. There are several swimming pools, including olympic sized lap pool and kiddies pools. Miniature golf for the kids - regular golf is arranged for you but is off site. Tennis courts on site. Wireless internet is free but there is something wrong with it in the rooms. It cuts out frequently - perhaps not enough connections for the number of rooms. It works very well in the lobby - where there are two compuers available, that are old and slow.

There is a Sedona shuttle that comes by regularly but it is pretty easy to walk to uptown Sedona and galleries and other restaurants are a stone's throw away across Oak Creek. I sometimes read negative reviews of timeshares that puzzle me - and I think it is because - perhaps - people who pay for a suite expect it to be as nice as a hotel room would be for the same price. A timeshare, except sometimes in a major city, is an apartment and a $200/night one bedroom apartment is not likely to be as nice as a $200/night hotel room. The tradeoff is in additional space in the room and in the grounds.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Pros- The resort is in a great location and the grounds are nice and well-maintained.
The fitness center is fine and kept clean and maintained- same for pool and jacuzzi.
Cons- older units, small bathrooms and tiny kitchenettes.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We had been looking for resorts in the Northern Arizona area for awhile. I was very sceptical to book this resort based on the varying reviews. Everything about the resort exceeded our expectations. The staff was friendly & helpful; the workout facilities & programs are large & well kept; the pool is large, heated & clean; & lastly our room was clean & everything worked fine. I noticed that there were constantly staff cleaning around the resort - I am wondering if the recent buyout by Diamond Resorts has been a positive influence. Sedona is a beautiful town with lots of things to do - sight seeing the beautiful Red Rocks, ATV riding, horseback & of course the Grand Canyon is only 2 hours away. I would come back in a second!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed in suite 214. It was an RCI exchange. Our suite smelled of mildew/mold. The resort should have it checked because there was water dripping from the fire detector on our last night. We are now home, and we found the smell was in our luggage and clothing. All clothing required washing/dry cleaning and the luggage was placed outside in the sun to get rid of the smell. It was a great facility, well located, with a great staff, however, the smell spoiled the vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Los Abrigados Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!