“wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Cincinnati
“wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed for a girlfriend getaway. We love the cozy rooms with the gas fireplaces. Continental breakfast is nice. Very healthy choices to prepare us for a day of hiking. No sweets, which was fine with us. All the staff were very nice. We like it because it is on the edge of town so lot less traffic. We were in one of the rooms closest to the highway, so you can hear the highway traffic, but it wasn't a big issue either time we stayed there. MIght be a bigger issue if we had the windows open. Nice hot tub. Many good restaurants close by. Convenient to the hiking trails on the south end of town. Definitely plan to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your positive review! I am glad to hear that you chose us for your girls getaway and had a great time. It always puts a smile on our faces to hear of returning guest. We always try to do something special for our return guest. If you let us know next time that you are a return guest you will find something special in your room!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Southwest Inn. The breakfast was nice and the room was just fine, although we found the bathroom to be very cold (it was December). Nothing special or anything to write home about, but for the price is was just fine. Sedona is quite beautiful. The location of this hotel is slightly away from the main tourist area which is good, but very close to everything by car with a number of restaurants around. These are individual rooms that enter from the outside with their own key (which could explain the cold) and the lobby is in a seperate building. I would recommend staying here for short stay in Sedona unless you want to spend more for the Enchantment Resort up the road.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your positive response. Makes me happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. I hope you got to try our amazing breakfast burritos!
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked a room for one night from Expedia and was chared $181.48 for one night on 31 August 2012. In the hotel information, it looked fine, a nice resort hotel. We noted many positive reviews in Tripadvisor. On that day, we arrived the facility and could not believe!!: it was a road side motel, a typical check-in reception in front of the motel facility. The pool did not look very attractive, and worse, the doors are facing streight the outside (no covered corridors) which we felt unsafe. It was also very far from city center. Even we asked a reception person if we made a mistake. My husband even misunderstood it was a construction site. I thought the place costing something close to $200 could not be like that. I could not believe what I was seeing.

I immediately left the place and contacted the expedia customer service, explaining all incidence and asked for their help. After 30mm,the customer service told me that the hotel owner (who was very unhelpful and did not return to our call for several days) did not agree to authorize cancellation UNLESS the room would be sold no matter the price to someone else. When I arrived the motel, it was almost empty and I thought it would not be likely. Worse, the place does not have anyone in the night so even if guests come, no one can take care of them.

The customer service manager was not even helpful and telling me they could not do anything due to the cancellation policy. But from the expedia website, it looked like a nice resort hotel in a quiet but still city center location. But in fact it was a simple rod side motel in a remote location and completely different what I expected (Particularly the original price of the experdia was more than $200

I have been staying many hotels and using several booking services, but this was the worst experience ever. I never had this problem in the past. I would like to request for the customer service assistance to get the full refund. I found the better place less than half o the price (and realized many equivalent places are less than half with better facilities.

I do not know why the place is so highly rated in Tripadvisor, but based on my experience which was terrible, I do not recommend this place to anyone. Since the summer, I am still trying to get my money back (they charged taxes and fees even I did not stay there) through my credit card company, but I was told that the owner is not cooperative. This kind of experiences never happened to me in the past.

If you really want to enjoy Sedona which is beautiful place, stay in a city center, and adoid the place like this they are cheating and overcharging you. Terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2dumbpugs, Owner at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We are very proud of the 94% of our guests who have a positive experience with us, and we work very hard to obtain those positive reviews. In a recent New York Times article, the President of Trip Advisor advised followers to ignore the "extremely positive reviews" and to ignore the "extremely negative reviews", and to follow the middle ground for a good feeling of the experience that you should expect.

Your review appears to be aimed at Expedia and not the Southwest Inn. We do not control the prices that Expedia charges.

Our guests love our location, which is 2 miles from the hustle and bustle of the City Center (lots of tourist shops). We are on the western edge of Sedona, in between several of the Vortex sites. We are next to Dry Creek Road, which is the access to the wilderness canyons; and we are the closest hotel to Red Rock Crossing (you have to see it in order to believe it) and Buddah Beach.

Respectfully,

Craig Phelan
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Coming from somebody in the industry this place is excellent! Free breakfast, free wifi and a very attentive staff. We had the top floor, corner unit closest to the lobby. The view from the front patio was breathtaking in the morning, took some amazing photo's. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and even gave us some coupons for local eateries. The front lobby does close at a certain time and can be reached by phone; some people might find this irritating at times but the resort I work at in Scottsdale does the exact same thing. The breakfast was a very nice plus, make it yourself waffles, yogurt and mini burritos. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and appreciated. The beds and pillows are of better quality than most other resort's in the valley- makes for a great night of sleep. My only suggestion would be to get dvd players in the rooms! Besides that, hands down my favorite place to stay in Sedona on or off a budget, check these guys out! Keep up the great work guys. Cheers!

Room Tip: Top floor, corner units. Ask for an upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2dumbpugs, Manager at Southwest Inn at Sedona, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I am very pleased that you loved your stay at the Southwest Inn and had a great time in Sedona!

We try very hard, and love it when we connect the value of what we have to offer to those travlers who appreciate us. Thank you for staying with us and made us part of your amazing trip! Hope to see you in the future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights, including over New Years. We loved the location as it intersects 89 and Dry Creek Road, so for hiking this part of Sedona, it was perfect. It is close to many restaurants and the local movie theatre in case you want to go to the movies for a night.

Breakfast was good, nothing fancy, could use some mixed fruit, but plentiful and enough protein.

The outdoor hot tub was perfect after a day on the trails, it was large, very clean and the perfect temperature.

All staff were friendly and knowledgable about the area, both for places to eat as well as local fav hikes.

All in all, we know where we are staying next time in Sedona.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a great review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Southwest Inn and a great time in Sedona!

Going down Dry Creek road is by far my favorite place to drive to get a better feel of how beautiful Sedona is. There are a lot of hiking trails and also a great place to take amazing pictures up close to the Red Rocks.

Once again thank you!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed one night at the Southwest Inn on our way back home to Los Angeles. We wanted to stay in Sedona and the Southwest Inn seemed to offer the best value and had some pet-friendly rooms available for our 2 cats. The room was great with its own gas fireplace and large bathroom with whirlpool tub and separate shower. The upper level rooms have better views of the red cliffs, but we were only stopping here for a night and the lower level room was fine. The free breakfast was very good and included some delicious breakfast burritos as well as hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, bread and muffins. The small breakfast room was very clean.

Room Tip: Pet fee was $30.00/night for our 2 cats. Upper level rooms have better views of the red cliffs sur...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review! I am pleased to hear that you and your pets had a great time at the Southwest Inn and in Sedona!

Our property is pet friendly, but we only have certain rooms for pets. You had a great room! The jetted tub is amazing after a long day and im sure your cats loved the warmth of the fire place. I hope you also got to try our great bean burritos. The bean burritos are a great way to start your mornings. They are a great energy boost!

Once again Thank you!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Southwest Inn. I chose it based upon user ratings, and I was not disappointed. The room was clean, neat, and comfortable, with a beautiful view of the red hills of Sedona. The grounds were very well manicured, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located on the south-end of town, away from the tourist-congested areas. The room was equipped with a gas fireplace, refrigerator, coffee/tea maker, and wi-fi. Every morning, there is a continental breakfast equipped with Make-it-yourself waffles, black bean breakfast burritos, and oatmeal. I found the young man who works the night shift particular helpful, and Kenny the groundsman to be welcoming and warm. I will be returning to Sedona, and the Southwest Inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Southwest Inn at Sedona? Share your experiences!