“WOW..Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Star Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Star Motel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

WOW...Yes awesome place.
Very clean.
Very comfortable.
Great location...parked my car right in front of room and walked everywhere after that.
Everyone is very nice, helpful and want to do whatever possible to make your stay the best!
I was there over Thanksgiving weekend, 4 nights.
Would never want to stay anywhere else!
Ever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Hi MRBIZ,
I want to thank you for writing a review of The Star. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you stay with us more than once!
I hope to see you on your next visit to Sedona.
Anne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I arrived late on the 6th of October, and Ann came out from her home to give me the key and welcome me, She had left a note on my door with her cell number.The room was clean, and welcoming....very comfortable!!! She had made sure I had a coffee pot waiting for me there!! I went on to the Grand Canyon on the 8th and was touring the state, enjoying the diversity of the nature and loving it! I changed my trip around a bit, and Ann was always very understanding of my date changes, and I spent my last two nights here on the 18th and 19th. I had a room behind the motel with my own little patio and it was very enjoyable!!! I will definitely come back to Sedona and in my mind, this is the ONLY place to stay. Everyone is so very nice, and the location is withing walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants in Uptown Sedona, making it very convienent for everything!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
lulapineflat, Owner at Star Motel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
DLKS,
I was so nice to have you return to the Star at the end of your holiday and hear about your grand adventures. I am glad that we had a room for you. I look forward to your return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in the upstairs suite, Room 10 which allowed us to sit on the balcony and watch people strolling up and down the main thoroughfare. Of course, we strolled up and down ourselves. This suite has a well-stocked kitchen and lots of room to spread out and hang out. This was a quick trip, but we'd love to go back when we can stay a while!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a kitchen or room to spread out a little, room 10 is perfect and you get the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brenda C
I am pleased that you enjoyed the people watching from the balcony at unit 10. It has always been my favorite places to sit and watch Sedona "happen" and to watch the rocks change color at sunset.
I hope that you make it back soon.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was my first trip to Sedona. I had not made reservations, did not know October was one of their busiest tourist months and had no clue where to go or what to do. I got the name and number for the Star Motel from the Tourist Information Center. I knew instantly that I was in the right place when I heard the owner's voice on the phone.
Anne put me at ease and took away all my concerns immediately. She had a room, told me how to get there and even met me at the door of her office when I arrived. From the moment we shook hands I knew I had a friend in this wonderfully kind lady.
While there I witnessed time and time again her thoughtfulness as she helped anyone who stopped in. Even if she did not have a room available she would help them in whatever way she could and always with a smile.
The rooms have a retro charm that fits with this 1950's motel. The furniture was custom made. The rooms were spotlessly clean and in great working order. Outside each room there are comfortable chairs and a little table where you can sit and enjoy the view. There are rock formations, such as Snoopy Rock, the Three Bears Rock and others, that great you as soon as you step out your door.
The location is directly behind the main drag of Uptown Sedona, which means easy walks to shopping, dining, entertainment and tours. I can think of no better place to esperience the charm of Sedona than the Star Motel.
If I thought I could, I would have just moved in and lived there. But alas, I could not. However, I intend to ALWAYS book all future visits to Sedona with STAR MOTEL! I cannot imagine Sedona without Anne. She is the best feature of that wonderfully magical place!

Room Tip: All rooms I stayed in were comfortable, clean and quiet. I stayed in three different rooms so that I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Adrianne,
Thank you for your thoughtful review of the motel. It was a pleasure having you stay with us during your first (but not last) visit to Sedona. I look forward to seeing you soon.
mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Read all the excellent reviews and booked this hotel for one night oct 6 -wished we had stayed a little longer in sedona,This is aperfect spot,we parked and checked in and never moved the car. excellent kept motel like things used to be.GREAT value

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
dch,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our location. We are situated in a perfect spot for parking the car and forgetting about driving for a while!
Thanks for taking time to post a review for the motel. I hope to see you again.
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is really a two and a half star rating.

I am perplexed as to why this tiny motel rates as high as it does. No doubt, the location is good -- right in the uptown neighborhood. But unless you plan to do nothing in Sedona but drink prickly pear margaritas at the Cowboy Club and take a Pink Jeep tour, you pretty much have to have a car anyway, so the "good" location only means navigating through that crowded, tourist trap part of town in your vehicle.

The greeting by Anne on our arrival was great! She is very friendly, outgoing, and eager to engage her guests. Honestly, this initial 30 seconds was the bright spot of our stay. She showed us some highlights of the town on the generic tourist map, which was fine. At that point we indicated we would want to do some hiking. This would have been the perfect time for her to mention to us that many hiking locations require a Red Rock (or other) parking pass, and where to get said pass. (We later drove 6 miles on a dirt road only to find that that particular hike required a pass. We hadn't purchased one and ended up rolling the dice and hoping not to get ticketed.)

After getting old school keys -- haven't seen those in a while and are not the safest -- we went to our room. Immediately I was struck by an overwhelming smell of rubber or vinyl or something. It was strong. Eventually I identified the smell as a brand new shower curtain. Brand new shower curtain is good. Zero ventilation and asphyxiation by vinyl fumes is bad.

We love to stay in small motels (Austin Motel, Blue Swallow, etc.) and know what to expect from a motel built in that era. However, this motel room had no charm, no cute quirkiness, no personality whatsoever. In fact, the cinder block walls and lack of color were down right dreary. The room did have a flat screen TV and fridge (and also a microwave, which we did not use). There was no safe. Even though it was minimalistic and technically clean, it FELT dirty, if you know what I mean.

Our first night was spent utterly sleepless -- both of us. I felt itchy all night (have no idea if it was the sheets or what) and my boyfriend said the AC unit kept him up. The room felt stuffy even with the AC going -- again, zero ventilation. The second night was better, but perhaps only because I was running on no sleep and had hiked over 10 miles that day. For the record neither of us noticed particular noise from the street, other guests, or garbage trucks.

On our second afternoon, Anne knocked on the door and proceeded to tell my boyfriend that his card had only been charged for one night instead of two. This was incorrect, and my boyfriend had to go down to the office with his receipt. Not a huge deal, and it seemed to be cleared up quickly, but a strange disruption nonetheless.

As a plus, the evening receptionist (not Anne) was very helpful when my boyfriend went to the office looking for a bag to put some ice in for my sore knee.

Something to keep in mind -- we decided to book this hotel knowing that it didn't have a pool, and we missed it after hiking most of the day.

To be honest, I'm surprised we actually stayed two nights. For our third, we moved to the other end of town to a chain motel. I hate to recommend a chain and like to support local, small businesses as much as possible (my boyfriend and I both have small businesses). However, the chain offered more comfortable rooms with more personality (hard to believe, I know), a pool, AND was noticeably cheaper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and loved it. It's very clean and staff is friendly. It does not have a lot of amenities which was fine with us. The view from there was amazing. Loved sitting on the patio at night relaxing and watching people walk the shops. Will definitely stay there again, price was great too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Star Motel? Share your experiences!