“Cozy, Clean, Great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Kestrel Circle, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Ranked #21 of 45 hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amarillo, TX
“Cozy, Clean, Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My friend booked this condo for us and it was better than we expected! The photos WE saw were very outdated. Our room was very nice and modern. There were 4 of us, so 2 of us slept on the sleeper sofa (it was decent) and 2 in the bedroom. The kitchen was stocked with settings for 4, and we cooked several meals during our 3 night stay. There were basics like knives, can opener, blender, toaster, cheese grater, bottle opener, pots and pans, baking dish, cutting board, coffee maker, dishwasher!....the double sink vanity and separate tub/shower was also nice for the 4 of us. There was a BBQ and picnic table outside our room and the views were beautiful. The hospitality desk was very helpful and the price was definitely right for this location! There was a DVD player, so we rented a movie from the hotel one night. Lots of channels on the TV and they also called to let us know that various performances, etc were happening in the main events room. It was better than all of us expected! They only "complaint" I have is that there wasn't a lot of extra room to put luggage, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Even though we had stayed at Wyndham Sedona before, I decided to check out their reviews on TripAdvisor, just to see if there might be anything new. I was surprised to see a recent, very negative review. Let's just say that someone might have been having a bad day when my own experience and the experience of the vast majority of other reviewers is highly positive. BTW, I am not from Wyndham. I know its hard to prove that here, but I can say I bought my ownership off of ebay, and I don't think a planted review from Wyndham would say that.

Anyway, about the sales pitch. YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO A SALES MEETING. Is it that hard to just decline the appointment? It isn't for me. And if you do decide to sell your time for whatever they are offering (like we all have at least once) of course you are going to get a hard sell, and of course it is going to run long. They are professional sales personnel who are good at their job. JUST SAY NO. Enough said about that.

BTW - Kudos to the woman checking us in. The couple before me was having a real hard time deciding who to list as an emergency contact, so she started checking me in parallel to the slow couple before me. I didn't even have to roll my eyes to get her attention. She was able to efficiently check me in before the other couple. Winner! They also had our room ready before the 4 PM official check in time. Double winner.

The room was the typical high quality that I have seen in other Wyndham's (Vegas, San Diego, Heber, etc). Obviously the upgrades need to occur over time, not all at once everywhere, so it doesn't concern me that only the main TV set was a flat panel, and the two in the bedrooms are still the old CRT style. I saw no evidence of poor workmanship or unfinished remodels like at least one other owner did (thanks for posting those pictures). Hopefully the property manager is fixing those issues.

TV tip. The free internet is a high enough speed that I could start a Netflix movie on my Android tablet, and then connect the HDMI output of the tablet to the TV (need to bring your own cable). Not sure if iPads can do that also, but we only experienced minor pixalation throughout the movie, so the quality (internet speed) seemed pretty good.

That's all folks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed in an almost-renovated one bedroom deluxe unit for a week. The DVD wasn't plugged in properly and one of the lamps was out; the maintenance man fixed the issue immediately. He also let us know that our unit needed only a replacement couch and the lighting replaced before it was completed. The upgraded items were spot-on: granite counter tops, new appliances, new furniture, the patio furniture still had the tags on it. Some visitors that may have felt that the units were outdated will appreciate the renovated units.

We had a large balcony with an exceptional northern view. Loved waking up each morning, and heading over to the gym to watch the sun rise over the mountains. Landscaping, common areas, gym and other amenities were very clean and well-maintained.

Front-desk staff was very friendly. As with other reviewers: Yes, we were pressured to attend a "discussion" (which we, of course, knew would turn into a version of a sales presentation). We declined, since we didn't want to expand our program. But had to endure several voice mails and another conversation from the concierge/manager to continue declining. If you have difficulty saying "no" to a presentation, you will not appreciate these tactics. Other than that, would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have best views. Renovations expected to be completed January 2013.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Abilene, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is our second time to stay here and shame on us. We are Wyndham VIP owners and found this to be a very substandard property. Upon check-in we were asked to attend an "Owners Update" meeting. Of course we all know this is going to be a sales pitch for 45 minutes. What it turned out to be was an inquisition and an "Update" of all the things we had done wrong with our ownership. My advice is don't go to the "Owner Update". I asked to have the sales manager call me about the incident 4 days ago and have yet to hear from him. They really have no concern for their owners from the sales stand point. As far as the room we were told we were the first guests in the newly remodeled room. Upon arrival to the room, we were missing a baking sheet, frying pan and most importantly a fire extinguisher. Maintenance/Housekeeping personnel indicated that those items had been accidentally removed when the old cooking stoves were removed and he did not know where the fire extinguisher had gotten to since the remodeling was completed. These items were promptly replaced that day or the very next morning. Also as an owner of this property I was very disappointed in the remodeling. The quality of the work was terrible. It appears there was no management involvement in the construction process. Lastly, we were placed in an ADA room since my mother is immobile. For the most part, the unit is compliant, however, if she were here by herself, she would never be able to reach the dishes which are 4 to 7 feet off the ground. I would never recommend this resort to a disabled person unless they are accompanied. When I was allowed to finally meet with the resort manager, his first words out of his mouth was "Does everybody have a problem today?". With that attitude I refused to discuss the issues with him. I should say that the Resort Manager did call and apologize for his actions and I was refunded my points for this stay and given an additional 7 day stay at this resort. This is a wonderful location to visit, this is probably not the best place to stay while here. We expect more out of Wyndham for the amount of money we have and will pay in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Green Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here a week and enjoyed the resort and its location. Our clean, spacious one-bedroom deluxe suite was in great shape even though it was scheduled for remodeling soon. We like the West Sedona location because it is close to many decent restaurants and grocery stores. The New Frontiers Natural Marketplace is our favorite for groceries. The activities center is equipped with computers, exercise equipment and game room along with an outdoor pool and large hot tub, which we took advantage of. Try to avoid the timeshare meeting no matter what they offer you.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite close to the activities center because you will be using it frequently.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a beautiful resort - very well kept - and the units are beautiful too. There is a restaurant within walking distance just off the western edge of the property - decent food. There are lots of restaurants within a short drive. There is a Safeway grocery store immediately across the street from the resort.

You are not very far from one of the most interesting shopping areas you will ever see that has lots of local artist displaying their work: Tlaque Paque. You really must go there - and while you are there, treat yourself to lunch at Rene's, right in the middle of Tlaque Paque, and have lunch out on their beautiful, cozy courtyard.

You would also want to take the Red Rocks jeep tour of the red rock canyons. We took the Cowboys and Canyons Sunset tour and it was wonderful. While you're at it, drive up on airport hill and watch the sunset. That is a special experience.

You really should treat yourself to this resort.

Room Tip: Units on the west side are a short walk to a restaurant. Get a two bedroom, or larger, unit for adde...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The grounds are nicely kept, the rooms are clean. If I had to give any suggestions it would be to add more shelves and safety handles to the showers when the rooms are remodeled. The staff was helpful, booked us a nice tour to the Grand Canyon and provided a map of the town and restaurant recommendations. The kitchen is fully stocked and there is a Safeway right across the street. All in all the Wyndham Sedona is a lovely resort.

The only reason I can't give it an excellent rating is the same reason most people have issues with Wyndham resorts, the time share meeting. Our concierge told us the meeting would only be about the new point system, not true. She said it would last no more than 45 minuets, not true, it went well over an hour. And she said no one would try to sell us anything. Also not true. Our representative started by trying to sell us his book which I thought was kind of cute. Apparently Wyndham doesn't consider this to be a conflict of interest? After that he did pretty well up until he told my mother that the representative from Kawaii that told her she could will her time share and points to her kids was wrong. He then acted very offended when my mother suggested they all get their stories straight. Well....you know... At this point he had his manager look up some information and came back to tell us that while she could will her actual property, her children would have to buy into Wyndham to use it. They both then proceeded to try and sell me time share points for when my mother dies. Just a little tacky. I had to explain to them both for about 15 minuets that I simply could not afford anything like that and was not interested.

If you are used to dealing with Wyndham's shenanigans or are good at saying no to time share salesmen, by all means, stay at the Wyndham Sedona. It's a wonderful place. If you are unaccustomed to strong arm tactics and just flat out being lied to, you may want to reconsider.

Room Tip: Second floors usually have a better view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Sedona? Share your experiences!