“Split decision with Sedona Rouge” 4 of 5 stars

Broken Arrow Adventure
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waldwick, New Jersey
“Split decision with Sedona Rouge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is my 4th stay in Sedona due to business. I've previously stayed in the Best Western across from Airport Rd as it's "good enough" and a short work to the office complex I spend all day at. My company was having a small 20 person meeting here and I decided to bring my wife along since Sedona is a gorgeous place to visit and she hadn't been here before. The hotel we all stayed at was the Sedona Rouge.

I contacted the hotel to see if the room I was going to get had a nice view of the red rocks of Sedona and since it didn't, and with my wife along, I upgraded to a room that had a view. It was a $50 upgrade per night but figured it was worth it this one time I had my wife along.

The overall hotel is nicer then the Best Western I've previously stayed in with a much larger pool area and nicer room decor. They have a nice restaurant (though no free breakfast) and open air waiting area/lobby. The room we received was in the Spa section which is detached from the main set of rooms. When we arrived and went to the room, there's a view of sorts but not what I really expected. The room was a corner room with windows/sliding doors on 2 sides with one side facing the parking lot of the shopping center that is across the street (has a Starbucks in the grocery store if that's important to you) and the other window/sliding door looks out over the back parking area more into a hill then a view of the mountains. You can see the top of Thunder Mtn and if you look off to the side you can see the top of another mountain, but it's not a view like those you have at the Best Western where you have a 180 degree view. Now, I can't blame anyone for their hotel's location and maybe it is the best view in the entire hotel, but it's not a great view and really not worth $50/night additional. There's a "balcony" outside the sliding glass doors that is maybe 1 ft wide contrasting again with the Best Western where there are large terraces outside your rooms with patio tables and umbrellas to sit at and enjoy the gorgeous views.

With the above behind me, the rest of the hotel was fine. We had a group dinner in their restaurant and the food was good. I didn't hang out in the bar at night since my wife was there and we did other things but co-workers that did frequent the bar said it was fine. The room was comfortable though not huge and the bathroom was a good size where we could both be in there and not get in each others way. The bed was comfortable and the service my wife and I received was fine. My wife hung out at the pool for the days I was in business meetings and she said the pool water was surprising cold since it was very warm in Sedona.

Wifi service in the room is included and worked well and there were lots of TV channels to choose from.

I filled out an online survey I was sent after we checked out and provided similar comments as I provided here. Within a day the hotel manager contacted me via email regarding my comments though I haven't yet heard anything further when I followed up via email with the manager.

So for me, it's a split decision when i compare it to the Best Western. Pros = Pool and overall quality of room interior. Cons = view and no free breakfast/coffee useful for grabbing something quick before heading out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I took my family including my dog for a one night getaway and enjoyed everything that Sedona Rouge had to offer! The ground floor room with a patio that leads to a grass area for my dog was a pleasant surprise! Check in was easy and fast. The roof top deck was fun for stargazing. Safeway was next door for our after dinner ice cream cravings!

The spa was a treat!! Kerri was so helpful in getting me all set with the perfect massage and William was terrific!

We will be back a few more times this summer to escape the heat of the valley!

Room Tip: If you have a dog ask for ground floor by the lawn. The even provide dog waste bags!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was our first trip to Sedona and it was all we could have hoped for. The Sedona Rouge is a nice, smaller resort that backs up to Red Rock. It is only minutes from hiking trails and downtown. We ate dinner and breakfast more than once at the resort. Both menus had numerous items that we would have to have loved to try, but the food we did pick was great. The service was also great. They have a pool and spa that is tucked away and private along with a third floor balcony which allows you to watch the sunset. Honestly, we couldn't have had a better experience and definitely plan on returning next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We spent three nights here and were very satisfied with our stay. Overall, this is a small, boutique style hotel. Staff was extremely helpful and courteous. We had a suite which had a living area and a bedroom area. Since we were traveling with our two boys, we asked for blow up beds ( the pull out sofa was horrible- springs were poking out of the entire mattress). They brought us two blow ups but both were damaged and needed to be replaced. The staff was very understanding about this issue but it was a little frustrating to have this issue repeated multiple times. The first night, both my sons' mattresses deflated completely. They were very uncomfortable. We asked them to replace again and they did so with no issue. However it happened again so we had to call them again to replace the blow up! Anyway- long story short- this was the biggest issue with the hotel. Seems like the air mattresses they use aren't very durable.

Pool area was nice. Hot tub was warm and pool was very cold. Didn't see any type of pool service while we were there, but we didn't need it so it didn't really effect us.

Lastly, the AC units are very noisy so bring ear plugs if you are a sensitive sleeper!

Would recommend staying here!

Stayed June 2014
Prescott, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I kept hearing "No..." -- one of the most impolite hotel manager I've ever spoken with. I set-up a reservation to have a few friends of mine stay there as a gift. My friends never stayed due to unforeseen personal /family matters; Because of the circumstances they forgot to call the hotel /myself and cancel /move the reservation. The following day my wife received the email 'Thanks for your stay...' and called our friends to then find out they never stayed at the hotel -- they forgot :( We immediately called the hotel, anticipating the accommodation for our situation, but all we kept hearing was "No..." The Manager (come to find out it was the General Manager 'Ed') mentioned how it was our fault, suggested our guest pay for it, and there is nothing he can do, so sorry... (went on for 10 minutes) The hotel seems like a beautiful, quaint place to stay, however, The Management Was Extremely Discourteous... 0% hospitality service.

Room Tip: FYI - most of the rooms face a Safeway parking lot....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ed_conwayCornvilleAZ, General Manager at Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Mark,
As we discussed, your friends booked their reservations using the credit you provided them and twice they changed their arrival date within our no cancellation period. We were flexible both times and allowed the change to be made. On their 3rd date change we communicated and they agreed that no additional changes would be made. Unfortunately, they were a no show on day of arrival. We were 100% occupied and as we do not over book the hotel the room could not be re-booked as you inquired about.

You asked about any benefit in future for your friends or yourself and I did offer, based upon our availability, a special "Friends & Family" rate could be offered during this year.

I am available to talk further and or via email,
928 340 5304 hotel direct or econway@sedonarouge.com

Ed Conway
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I won a night at Sedona Rouge and I took my dog up for the night. The staff was wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised to walk in our room and see that they put a set of dog bowls and a dog bed in our room for her. We enjoyed walking and sitting around the grounds. My dog was friendly with everyone and I enjoyed reading my book. We spent part of our evening hanging out around in the pool area.

We came up here to get away for a few hours and it was a wonderful experience. It made me want to get out of dodge more often.

You can read more about our adventure at Sedona Rouge, with pictures here: http://bit.ly/1oAbBoB.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

If your looking for a room with Red Rock views, cute boutique hotel feel, and helpful conceirge service then you would like the Sedona Rouge hotel. We wanted to do a couples massage, go ATV riding and visit the Grand Canyon and the conceirge at the Sedona Rouge helped us book everything before we even arrived. Her suggestions were very helpful and we felt it made our visit more enjoyable. The happy hour at the hotel is pretty good and the staff is very friendly giving us tips on what sites we should see and visit. The hotel is close to a lot of shopping and restaurants but you will have to drive as it is too far to walk. Our room was a nice corner room on the 2nd floor with beautiful red rock views. They also have a viewing deck on the rooftop of the hotel that gives you spectacular views of the whole area. The couples massage was great and very relaxing but only a limited choice of massages and I was confused as to what Reiki so I got the swedish massage.

Room Tip: Get a room with a Red Rock View. Our room was in the corner and it seemed like our balcony was a bit...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple