“Rundown place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Rock Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sedona
Red Rock Lodge
You added Red Rock Lodge to your Saves list
901 N. State Route Highway 89A, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Phoenix, Arizona
“Rundown place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here during Labor Day weekend in the Montezuma suite. The place has its potential, but the owners need to invest. Frankly, I think it's sad that a place with potentials is allowed to get so rundown.

Pros - it is close to town, yet just enough away so that it's very quiet. Nice get away. The lady at check-in (forgot the name) was nice and tries to do her best with what she has. Price was ok, but then you get what you pay for.

Cons -

The Montezuma room is rated for 7 people, but has only 1 bathroom. Not very handy.

The unit was rundown and dirty. My kids found dead cockroaches in the room. The room mirror is detached from the wall, and left on the floor leaning against the wall. Bathroom tub is peeled. Toilet is old, with peeled coatings. Windows are hit and miss - some can be opened, others look like they will fall apart if you even touch them. A/C unit causes the wall to vibrate when it comes on, making it quite loud when trying to sleep.

The lodge advertises BBQ grill. It is so tiny as to be useless unless you are cooking for no more than 2 people. We ended up going to picnic spots in Sedona and using the grill there. WIFI signal strength was so weak that the internet is pretty much useless.

Since the Montezuma unit was on the second level, we were told to park on the little road (driveway) that runs up the hill to this unit. That road is not wide enough to turn the car around, so to get out it was very inconvenient to back all the way out the driveway trying to avoid rocks and bushes from scratching the car.

My recommendation - go camping if you want cheap accommodations. It's more fun, cheaper, and you are not sacrificing much. Otherwise, pay a little more for a cleaner place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lodge M, Owner at Red Rock Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
*PLZ READ OUR RESPONSE - WE AGREE* The location is perfect and our manager Ingrid is amazing, and yes the OLD OWNERS let this iconic place become run down. We took over in January and have been renovating it ever since. For that reason we have been offering very low prices and even an extra 20% of those while we are still improving the property. Because we are on over 3.5 acres and back to the national forest we do have critters around, but in all likelihood what you saw would have been from exterminating (although truly nobody should ever see a single bug in their room, so if that occurred I am sorry indeed). We are working very hard to restore the original lodge here in Sedona...it is historic, beautiful and has the best location - period! So, while we're renovating we encourage folks to come check out what we're doing, enjoy a clean room, a cozy bed, a friendly smile and rates that you just cannot find in Sedona while we're still making things better. Thank you for reading our response and happy travels to you all.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This place is a little worn down, below average on the eye because of the courtyard renovations and right off the sometimes noisy highway at the entrance into downtown...and I loved it! For the amount it cost to stay here versus anywhere else in town, it is a great bang for the buck. If you want luxury, don't expect it when you pay $60. If you want to stay in your room all day while the glorious scenery awaits you, don't stay here. If you want a cheap place to crash that is close to downtown and many hiking trails, this is it! My opinion is based on the value of this room in comparison to the rest of the area. Happy travels!

Room Tip: They allow pets, but make sure you notify them prior. There is a $20 surcharge...I think.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Glendale, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Was in desperate need of a hotel room for one night during Memorial weekend and got very lucky to have found a place to stay. Was very hesitant to stay mostly because I had no idea how the hotel looked. We booked over the phone threw a service that provides hotel accommodations so it was a mystery.No pictures could be found online or on the direct site. My family of 3 stayed in a Kokopelli room very basic one T.V Queen bed and a table. Was small but charming until we checked out the shower area. The size was about 3/2 feet wide this was the most smallest shower I have ever seen and uncomfortable. The hotel it self looked like it was in process of renovations but very quiet at night. I would stay here only as a romantic get away without kids. Definitely want to come back in winter and book a room with a fire place next.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
missoula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

A little rustic, but Ingrid;s friendlyness and helpfullness, made up for the lack of some ammenities. The atmosphere was restful and lovely. The price was great, beds comfortable. Ingrid was so accomodating about anything we asked for. I wsh I could have stayed the whole week.

Room Tip: closer to back, less traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
littleton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am staying here as I write. Ingrid is very sweet and accommodating, but this is far from a 5 star place. I couldn't find a picture of the rooms anywhere on the net. There is a reason for that. This place looks like it was built in the 50's and not much has been done in the way of remodeling it since. It is quaint and rustic. Could definitely use a coat of paint and a new floor (still has the square foot lanolin tiles that have definitely aged over 60 years. I loved the wood burning stove (which you can only burn duraflame logs you buy in the store.) It came it really handy since the furnace didn't work, but Ingrid was right there with an electric heater to plug in. She works extremely hard running the whole place but the owner could put some money back into the place. As far as a review above goes I am wondering "what coffee and tea" there is a coffee pot and empty cupboards. But to be fare there is a separate kitchen which has a fridge, a microwave, coffee pot and a table and 2 chairs. There is a separate bathroom (so it is kind of a 3 room place). The shower a 2 ft x 2 ft box with 2" tiles from the 50's. Think rustic cabin and you wont be disappointed. The place does grow on you though by the night I was thinking it was really cute. I did love that it is just outside of town. Not far so that it is very convenient, but it feels a little secluded which I love.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lodge M, Owner at Red Rock Lodge, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello. First of all I'd like to thank this guest both for their business and for their review. We became the new owners of this historic lodge in the last couple months. It is the original lodge in all of Sedona. As such, it has the best location and incredible views! We are currently making improvements and renovations to the property (and because of that are giving 20% off all room rates). The reason we do not have any pictures up is because we are still finishing improvements and have not gotten to taking new pictures for the website yet (the linoleum tile is newer though and was not cheap as we purposefully meant to portray a historic look). Anyone staying here will enjoy a wonderfully clean place to stay, with many new furnishings, and in the premiere location! Thanks for reading our response and I wish you happy and safe travels. :)
Naperville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our experience was almost like that of going to a bed-n-breakfast without the breakfast (though tea and coffee were wonderful). Our rooms were quaint and clean. True, the lodge is a little close to the highway, but noise wasn't a bother at all.

The reservation lady (I am sorry I did not catch her name) was extra nice and even called me back with suggestions for a family restaurant (we had all 4 kids in tow).

Also, Ingrid is absolutely outstanding at her job. My children were actually sad they didn’t get to say goodbye to Ingrid. We only stayed one night, but we will remember it. She taught us names of the surrounding peaks, about the sunset,…Certainly, if we are lucky enough to get to come back to Arizona, we will stay at Red Rock Lodge. We hope we someday get to do the trail you are making up the mountain behind the lodge.

Most of all, I am thankful for our experience at Red Rock Lodge. You see, we live in suburban Chicago, and as much as we try to raise kids who don’t look for sterile chains with new facades, they often do. Red Rock Lodge really opened their eyes—Red Rock Lodge was our favorite. Thank you.

Lori Moriarty

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went for one night with a couple of friends to hang out. We had a blast! There are tons of shops, food, and entertainment VERY close to the Red Rock Lodge. And the views are awesome! It was so beautiful. Also, the manager on the property was very sweet and helpful. If there was anything we needed she was happy to help! I will definitely go back and soon!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Red Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!