“Cosy and Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Sedona B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Cosy and Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

When visiting Sedona, we wouldn't stay anywhere else but El Portal. It is one of a kind. The craftsman lodge style lobby and the garden is like being in someone's private home. The owners Connie and Steve are always around caring for their guests. They built this small hotel with love and it shows. A big plus- El Portal is dog friendly! Great way to make new friends from all over the country. The breakfasts are absolutely gourmet. Each room is different in style but not in quality. Very centrally located to all the sights and shopping. And the best part is you have great access to local knowledge from Connie and Steve. A lovely Sedona experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at El Portal - and we love it when our guests bring their four-legged friends! Steve and Connie love visiting with guests, and have great insights on the area and what to do. Thank you for choosing El Portal and we hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Sagamore Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just got back yesterday from a wonderful stay at El Portal with my two sisters. Steve and his wife Connie could not have been any more gracious and caring about their guests. Thanks to both of you. My sisters and I saw ten of the twelve rooms and each was charming and welcoming. Each morning and night Steve lit a wonderfully scented fire in the courtyard where guests could chose to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee or some quiet time. We were there for their tenth anniversary of the opening and Steve and Connie invited all quests to their celebration party for food, drink and bluegrass music. What a funl memory. I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They are so friendly and welcoming and try their hardest to make you feel like a guest in someone's home. Breakfast is not included in the price, but treat yourself to a delicious meal in lovely surroundings. Also, between 4 and 6 each day, complimentary iced tea and lemonade, plus a variety of snacks are provided as a courtesy to guests. Coffee, tea and cookies are available at all times. Treat yourself, stay at El Portal, you won't be sorry. Thank you for a wonderful, relaxing stay. Kudos to Steve and Connie.
Loraine
Sagamore Hills, Ohio

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We were so happy you could celebrate our 10th anniversary with us! Glad you enjoyed your time at El Portal and in Sedona - we hope to see you all soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

WOW! I am SOOO very excited that we discovered this place. I just moved to the North Phoenix area and was looking for a fun spot to take my dog for the night....and boy did we hit the jackpot! This hotel is truly one of my new favorites. Not only did they have it set up perfectly conducive to a dog but still had the luxuries of all the finer things for the humans. We stayed in the Juniper room and I can't wait to go back, this room didn't have it's own fenced in yard, but many of the others did which made it even nicer for the dog. Just down the way there is a fun little park and creek you can walk to. Also, upon arrival they give your dog a great little welcome basket with blankets, towels and treats. Another great addition was a welcome letter that included many of the local restaurants and activities that are dog friendly. I have told so many people about this spot and can't wait for my mom to come visit from CA so we both can bring our dogs and have a pampered weekend. I have done a lot of traveling but this might be one of my new top places! Thanks to Fran who was especially helpful and friendly, really made us feel welcomed and ensured we enjoyed our time in Sedona. Well we did and we will be back!

Room Tip: Juniper didn't have a fenced in area for the pooch but still a great room and close to the desig...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay at El Portal Sedona Hotel! We love dogs here! Can't wait to meet your mom and her pooch!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at El Portal for our anniversary (with our 3 month old baby) mid May.

Top aspects about El Portal:
- Rooms are amazing! We stayed in room 11, but were able to view a few of the others. All of them were unique and decorated in an amazing way (old indian rugs, decorative furniture, unique art, interesting vaulted ceilings, etc). Our room had an awesome balcony area overlooking the courtyard area. very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing.
- LOCATION! located right in the Tlaquepaque Village it is within walking distance to those shops and places to eat. Even the shops in the main part of town are within a short walk.
- Snacks are set out by the staff in the evening (chips, cheese, salsa, tortillas, etc)
- Large DVD movie selection on a hallway book case upstairs for viewing in your room.
- Beautiful courtyard with tables/chairs, nightly fire pit, vines and flowers
- Friendly staff.
- small bed and breakfast feel
- We didn't have a dog, but the El Portal is very dog friendly

Cons:
- no pool or hot tub (if that is what you're looking for)
- service with breakfast could have been a little better, but the food was tasty. We were in no hurry so it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: We loved room 11 which was large and has a balcony overlooking the courtyard which was very nice! w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for celebrating you anniversary with us! We hope you had a wonderful time in Sedona. We think our location is perfect too - just steps from Tlaquepaque and all it has to offer! We hope you come back and visit again!
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at El Portal May 7-9th and loved the place. They designed and built a real Classic in our view. We had our two dogs with us and it was a perfect situation for us and the pups. They obviously love pets and the owners were involved in the Pet Industry for many years before building El Portal and moving permanently to Sedona. It was our first trip to Sedona and we fell in love with the place and El Portal. The location really couldn't be better. No real views of the red rock areas but that didn't detract from the experience in our view. Our room was very comfortable and very well appointed. The only "Cons" I can come up with is that breakfast was just OK and we thought a bit overpriced. Next visit we would probably choose to go elsewhere for breakfast. Would be nice if a limited breakfast was included in the price. Also, given the price of the rooms, I thought charging for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. in the Great Room area was unnecessary and creates a real "nickel and dime me to death" feel. Would suggest increasing the room prices a few bucks a day and making those items complimentary which they normally are at most high end establishments. But, all in all, we loved it and hope to return soon for another visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you - we appreciate your ideas and review! We enjoyed the pups too, and hope to see you again!
Clayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had 3 of the beautiful rooms; each decorated so uniquely and well appointed. All the normal amenties were at the hotel, as well as, cocktail snacks and the 24 hour keurig coffee maker and cookie jar with the excellent ranger cookies--my brother's favorite.
Another feature that we all enjoyed immensely was the fire pit in the middle of the courtyard burining every evening with a wonderfully fragrant juniper wood.
We found the owners and staff very friendly and customer focused. The breakfast was very good (omelets, cowboy potatoes, french toast, pancakes) and all seasoned so well.
The grounds are simply stunning with blooming flowers and bushes everywhere and all well kept. The hotel is located in an artsy part of Sedona with great restaurants within walking distance. Our 10 day trip covering the lengh of AZ lasted 10 days and El Portal was the highlight of the trip. It just felt like being home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy everyone enjoyed their trip to Sedona and through Arizona. Glad you enjoyed the little touches too. Please come and visit us again.
Peoria, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel grounds, room, and location were exactly as described with a luxurious feel, southwest charm, period detail and superb location. I traveled with my dog who was very welcomed and comfortable during our stay.

In contrast to the setting, the service was extremely lacking. At breakfast, after waiting 15 minutes after being seated, I flagged down the server who had seated us to place an order. The omelet arrived looking like a scramble but was very flavorful. Toast was not with order and I was asked what I would like, "tortillas or toast" when the omelet arrived even though I had placed an order for toast at the onset. The restaurant was not busy, but by the time the toast arrived, it was cold and I was nearly finished with my meal.

Again, we waited 10 minutues for the check. When it was obvious the server was nowhere in sight, (she never checked on us/or how the meal was) I got up and went over to the owner to ask for a check. I received the check but was charged for coffee that I did not order. Though the lemon pancakes looked like a great choice for the next day, my dog and I went to other local eateries within walking distance where we received great table service, warm dog welcome and delicious food the following two days.

Service was lacking regarding the room cleaning as well. At check in, another dog's "business" was in the outside room trash can, so it appeared as if the can was not emptied with each guest's checkout. The outdoor bistro set for this room was very dirty. I scrubbed the tile grime clean myself before using it.

On the first night, I spilled powder on the bathroom floor. The next day when returning to our room, it was obvious the floors had not been completely cleaned as the powder was still on the floor along with dog hair and cottonwood tree debris.

On the second day, we left for breakfast and were assured the room would be cleaned promptly. Returning at noon, the room was not touched. We left again to return at 2:00 pm. Again the room was not serviced. I went to the front desk to request that the room be made up. The woman at the desk informed me that "they have many, many rooms to clean." (They have a total of 12 rooms and they were not all occupied the previous night). She further stated rooms are cleaned from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm and then again from 2:00 to 4:00 pm after the staff return from lunch.

I gently let her know that I had previously requested to have the room cleaned while we were out. She then made an effort to send two cleaning staff persons to make the room up. They arrived with windex and towels but without a cleaning cart, broom or vacuum.

While there, they spoke Spanish to each other (which I felt was rude in my presence). When I pointed out the need for vacuuming. A vacuum was brought down and a very minor section of the room was vacuumed.

On the last morning, housekeeping knocked at the door an hour before checkout to clean the room. This was sorely disappointing and I asked them to return after checkout.

When checking out, no staff persons were at the desk or in the Great Room. While this does speak to the informal relaxing atmosphere and honor system among guests, I was not able to express my staff concerns.

We left the key on the desk and departed. Not sure I would stay here again due to the service. However, the location, dog friendliness aspect and rooms are exceptional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We're sorry for forgetting your toast, and generally people like to have the bill on their room account, this lets people sit and relax for as long as they would like to. We do offer room service as well, so even though the breakfast room may not be busy, we are serving breakfast to our guests who have requested it in their rooms.
We do apologize for the inconvenience of the room cleaning. We clean the rooms from 11am-3pm, and we do do our best to satisfy our guests. With cottonwood season if full "bloom" it does take extra time to get everything done.
Thank you.

Been to El Portal Sedona Hotel? Share your experiences!