“Delightful retreat and dog friendly to boot!” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Pets Stay Free with Us!
Ranked #15 of 31 Sedona B&B and Inns
Fort Worth
“Delightful retreat and dog friendly to boot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at El Portal in June 2012 and had an excellent experience. I was on my way across country with my dog. They were excellent hosts and very helpful with arranging a jeep tour for me and also an in room massage. Wow!
It's also nice to meet other fellow travelers with their four footed friends.
People were very friendly.

Room Tip: If you have any issues with stairs, might be good to ask for the bottom floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We're glad you were able to stop in! happy to help with the Sedona jeep tour and in room massage!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I live in the Phoenix area and have been looking for a good hotel or b& b for last minute trips and long weekends. When searching on dog-friendly and Sedona I found El Portal. Upon arrival I knew I'd found my new weekend getaway. The rooms are lovely as are the guests and staff. I was honestly wondering if someone was playing a joke on me - everyone was so friendly to my dogs both at the hotel and in the local restaurants. I had a choice of long walks the staff recommended as well as lots of great places to eat. I never touched my car after arriving. I was honestly doing this to escape the heat and found I was able to work quite well fom the hotel. Cell phone access is limited by the thick wlls but the wifi worked well and I was able to get a good cell signal on the property.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, be honest about how much space they need. The patios vary in size.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for making El Portal Sedona your "getaway retreat!"

Being so close to the Phoenix area you would think Sedona is just as hot, but it isn't! With the tall, cool pinion pines and red rocks, Sedona is inviting and cooler than Phoenix; with so much to do and see.

With free WiFi throughout the boutique hotel, doing a little work is a breeze! Thanks again!
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I love El Portal. The rooms that we booked for our family vacation were huge and beautifully decorated with antiques We had the latest DVDS to choose from in the library. The king sized bed was super comfortable and we all slept really well. The shower was so super that I really didn't want to get out. Breakfast are very special, try the huevos rancheros. i loved my view of the red canyons. To get around town is a breeze. Steve, the owner is a real sweetheart and was there every day, always suggesting a great idea for us on where to hike, get a special piece of Indian art, the best way to see the Grand Canyon or simply a restaurant in our price range with great food. The places that he suggested were always spot on!.
It was so good to see that folks with pets are so welcome at El Portal.Steve, Connie and Fran make EVERYONE feel so welcome. I had a FANTASTIC time there. It was hard to say goodbye.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EL PORTAL IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR WAY MORE THAN WHAT YOU COULD HOPE FOR ON A VACATION . EL PORTAL ROCKS!!!

Room Tip: WE STAYED IN 11 AND 12-TOTAL PEACE AND PRIVACY UP THERE. great views of the red rocks and lovely fir...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LuCorp, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We are thrilled you chose El Portal Sedona Hotel for your family vacation. We love it when our guests are happy and feel well-taken care of. Our personalized concierge services are there for you - to help you choose your hike, museum, get you to the Grand Canyon, whatever we can do to make your stay and vacation more enjoyable and relaxing!

Thank you for making El Portal your home away from home!
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place is incredible. It's cozy, it's private, they love animal and respect what gender one loves. My wife and I had an incredible time stay at this amazing place. The rooms are nothing you would ever see at a chain hotel and the hospitalities are remarkable.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing so you have nothing to worry about
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, we so enjoyed your visit. And thank you for "getting" us - we appreciate you!
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

A hidden gem, this place. I used to live in Sedona, and needed Mapquest. But once you find it - such a wonderful surprise! Close to Tlaquepaque, near the "Y" - you're just a few moments from great food, shops, and hiking/sightseeing. The hotel has a great lodge-like reception area, a wonderful common 'green' with evenings by the fire, and nice, over-sized rooms (some with a fireplace). The only thing missing is a stunning 'red-rock' view - but you're never far from that in Sedona. Oak Creek is a short stroll, Rene's (one of the best restaurants in Arizona) a 3 minute walk, and the in-house breakfast is excellent -- in other words, you could come here and not need to 'drive' for days.
Lastly - the hotel is dog-friendly (too few and far between for folks with a pet). Our little one was made to feel welcome and loved by staff - and we enjoyed our stay all the more having a place that welcomes, understands and enhances the 'family with a pet' experience.
We'll return here often, and look forward to our next trip.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed Suite 9 - the Rim View. While the view was a bit California affordable ocean view...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Public Relations Manager at El Portal Sedona Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
We are "tucked away" in Sedona, but close to many activities and attractions just like you said. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you soon!
Sandpoint, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Looking forward to a pleasant long weekend, we booked four nights at El Portal because they accepted pets and we wanted to take our four legged friend with us. From all the reviews I read, it seems like a nice place. They describe them self as a ‘Luxury Boutique Hotel”, We have found that the term “luxury” is used constantly when it just isn’t the case. In April we were at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong, and that is indeed a luxury hotel, but El Portal isn’t quite sure what it is.

First of all, it is stuck behind a parking lot. Our room, # 7 had cars parked right outside the fence. The location is not relaxing, nor pretty. There are no views at all, and lots of noise early in the morning and of course all day with the parking lot to the small artsy mall overflowing with shoppers.

Secondly it isn’t sure what it is. Breakfast isn’t included in the excessive rates, and the first morning our tab was $40 for breakfast. I would say that was pretty steep. Oh, I would like to mention that the same person that serves your breakfast is also cleaning your toilet. Just doesn’t seem right to me. So even though El Portal is listed on the Bed and Breakfast website, it isn’t because you have to pay. The rates are not even correct on their website………….coffee is $3 not $2.

There are 12 rooms, and they do appear pretty on their website. However, ours was dark, the television did not work, the pillows were almost flat, and there was just nowhere comfortable to sit. Like I said earlier if you sit outside on your small patio you are looking and listening to the large parking lot.
The staff was okay, kind of fake, and pretended to be so glad we were there. Other comments have been left about the owner and you can read them if you like, and they are spot on.

Disregarding all the above comments, the two women sharing the room next to us had two very large dogs. The first night they went out to dinner, left the dogs in the room and they barked for at least an hour. I mentioned this to an employee, and was assured this would be taken care of. The 3rd and last night of our stay the dogs started barking at 3am. Much to my surprise there was no staff there, and if the place was burning down I would have had no idea who to contact. So, we got up, and I sent an email to the hotel that we were leaving and to send us a copy of our bill. Little did we know that they all go home and no one is in charge of this “luxury” place. THERE IS NO ONE THERE! I did find out that they are not members of the Arizona Bed and Breakfast Association as the ABBA requires a person there 24 hours a day………Oh, we never received a bill, but they didn’t hesitate to charge our credit card.

It is disappointing to go somewhere and it is nothing but a joke. Stay somewhere nice, you won’t spend any more money and you probably would have a view.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
El Portal Sedona Hotel is located in the heart of the Arts and Crafts District, just a short walk from Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village, with wonderful, eclectic shopping, dining and entertainment. It is close to Oak Creek, convenient for walks, and close to and hiking trails.
It is not in the downtown area, or on the main street, where Sedona is busiest.
Owners Steve & Connie love to help guests plan their day with maps, directions, even making arrangements for the many activities in the area.
There is always someone available if guests need anything, just pick up the room phone and call the front desk.
El Portal is a small, luxury inn, a pet friendly Sedona hotel. They cater to all their guests and pets, even offering free pet sitting services.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My Partner and I stayed at El Portal Inn last week for a, much needed, couple of days of rest, relaxation, quietness, and grieving our friend's passing. The room, the courtyard, the breakfast, and the staff far exceeded our expectations. It was one of the most peaceful, quiet places we have ever stayed. Thank you for having such a beautiful retreat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for understanding what El Portal is all about. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and hope it helped.

Been to El Portal Sedona Hotel? Share your experiences!