“I agree. Overpriced. Underwhelming and a bit run down” 1 of 5 stars

Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Amara Lane, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
“I agree. Overpriced. Underwhelming and a bit run down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed in a basic room with a family of four. Very small. A bit dirty as well. We had to move the bed over to fit an extra cot. It was filthy under both beds. Dust everywhere. They haven't moved these beds ever. Same for the end tables. Disgusting for a room that's over $400 a night. It's completely unacceptable. Bathroom was dirty as well. Very disappointed. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We had better expectations.

Stayed March 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
Sedona, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I am a very frequent travel booking and staying in over 30 hotels per year. I am staying at the Amara right now, and I've never been treated so rudely by restaurant staff. The property is too small for the number of guests, our room was never cleaned, and about the only positive is the valet attendants. I wish photos would reflect the crowds around the pool area. I've seen more serene settings motels by the highway next to Disney World. Very disappointed. Definitely my last Kimpton stay. As far as Sedona is concerned, pretty setting, but the town is not much more than western wear tourist trap. You can tell I am enjoying this trip.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Gene,
Sorry to hear your Sedona experience has been disappointing. Sedona is a magical place; some may say a bucket list destination for its magnificent views, amazing hiking, and proximity to the Grand Canyon. This is one of the most popular times of the year due to spectacular temperatures and many folks on spring break. The Amara is a boutique property with 100 rooms and a small footprint. The weather is absolutely wonderful and it appears that everyone is talking advantage of it. We do not tolerate the behavior you described regarding your dining experience. That is unacceptable and will be addressed appropriately. I hope that you can enjoy the time you have in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Patrick Gaskin
visitor70
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Positives: Great location, excellent views (with red rock and creek in the back), fun firepits, relaxing 5-6pm complimentary wine (including non-alcoholic) hour, speedy complimentary wi-fi, free coffee and hot-chocolate in the lobby in the mornings, fruit infused water all day, free shuttle bus service within 1 mile which covers many great restaurants, great staff especially the valet guys and concierge.

Negatives: The non-alcoholic beverage ran out constantly during the time, when we called for one of the items that was mentioned in the room as being "Forgot your supplies? Please call us anytime", we were told they were out

Greetings Visitor70,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The views and location are spectacular. Wine hour and the activities in the courtyard are certainly a lot of fun and a great place to meet other amazing guests. The Sedona Sunset (nonalcoholic) beverage is certainly a big hit and we need to keep a closer eye to ensure it is always replenished. I am glad to hear you enjoyed all of the little touches throughout the day and throughout your stay. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Twin Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My teenager was supposed to go to Sedona with me but she bugged out at the last minute and I went alone.

The Amara is more or less shaped like a V with the widest part having a beautiful view of the Snoopy rock formation. The public areas are within the V -- the narrowest point is the restaurant then a pretty red rock fountain with a sitting area, then a games area on astro turf and then the pool. The rooms are in six buildings running the sides of the V and the best rooms are at the very ends. The hotel is two stories.

I had a view of the pool. With only two stories, you hear any noise in the common area, so if you are looking for quiet or solitude you won't find it at Amara. The room itself has some strange sounds during the day and evening, some of it being the AC system. In my particular room, if you didn't close the bathroom door completely when you left, it swung open and you hit it with the door when you came back in the room.

The valet parking men are adorable and they are hiking gurus. The life guards of Sedona. :-)

Sometimes the front desk is helpful, other times not. I arrived before my room was ready. The first front desk person acknowledged I was there. When I talked to another one, she actually called the cleaning service and asked specifically could they clean my room ASAP. Also, there's a large infused bottle of water on a table in the lobby across from the front desk. How does it ever run out of cups? It's such a small perk, it should be a priority.

The restaurant was okay, but not a standout. The huevos rancheros were good, but the ones in the Phoenix airport were better and even a bit less expensive.

It's quite a hike up to the main drag, but I enjoyed it. However, traffic in this part of Sedona is crazy and I always left early when I used my car to avoid it.

I've stayed at several Kimpton hotels. I love the Argonaut in San Francisco and also that one on King Street in Alexandria, VA that is closest to the Metro and the Masonic Temple. This hotel is not in the same league.

Room Tip: Ask for an Oak Creek view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Jannel43,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and being such a loyal Kimpton guest. Great to hear you seek out Kimpton properties on your travels. Sedona is a certainly a bucket list destination and one of the most magical places on earth. I’m sorry to hear that your daughter did not make this trip with you. Uptown Sedona is very popular and does see quite a bit of traffic. The location of the Amara allows you to be close to that action either by foot or the valet giving you a ride in the shuttle to the top of the hill or anywhere within a mile of the property but allows the serenity and peaceful From the courtyard you can view Snoopy Rock or just relax and enjoy the natural beauty. Amara is a great property for a single traveler or a family. You can start the day with one of our yoga classes, then a steam, or pamper yourself with treatments as well. The team will share their favorite hiking spot with you and upon your return from the day join us for wine hour from 5p-6p. It is a great deal of fun and more of a social hour with everyone sharing their adventures for the day or what they plan on doing the next day. Our guests and employees are eager to share their favorite spots with everyone that is interested. I appreciate the honest feedback regarding where we stand in regards to our Kimpton counterparts. I will share with the team and we are striving to be the best. The valet team appreciates the recognition and shout out .

Singapore/San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

TL;DR: The ability to get a room with a view here is much harder than at other hotels in the area. Many rooms are loud, have no privacy, and could be anywhere in suburbia. The person who handled our reservation was dishonest. The Best Western next door has views from many of the rooms, is cheaper, includes breakfast and allows dogs. Unless you want to book a suite, the Best Western and other hotels in the area are probably a better option. The desk clerks handled our problems well and deserve props for singlehandedly making this rating higher than a one. Check out the hotel restaurant, it's pretty good. Most rooms are *not* a good value for money.

The longer story:
My husband and I booked this hotel for the beginning 4 days of a desert road trip in February. We were traveling with our small dog, so we were somewhat limited to hotels that allow dogs. We found this hotel on Trip Advisor, and due to the pictures and the high rating, we thought it seemed like a good potential option. Even though we are usually internet bookers, online we couldn't book a specific room, and it was unclear what the view situation was. So I called their reservation line and talked to someone who turned out to be a HUGE liar.

Based on reviews, I was only willing to stay at this hotel if we could have a view of the red rocks and a quiet second floor room. I told the reservation person this and she said "we can't guarantee exact rooms, but I will put a note in the account." I told her that if we weren't able to have a *quiet* second floor room with a view we would be happy to book a different hotel and she said, "oh, don't worry about it, I have the note in your account, that should work." That should have been a big clue. What kind of hotel can't guarantee and charge more for a room with a view? We talked about our dog, made sure it was OK that we brought her and thought we were all squared away.

We arrived to a crowded zoo of a lobby, only to be assigned to a dark first floor room right next to a swinging door with a patio facing onto the central area where people were constantly walking right past the window/door. No red rocks in sight. We could hear every word said by everyone in the courtyard whether or not the window was open. Since everyone could see right into our room, if we wanted any privacy at all, we needed to keep the doors, windows and curtains closed, thus making it pointless being in Sedona at all. Yet, our hole was a loud one. Every time someone walked to a room on our side of the hotel, the hallway door outside our room would swing open with a creak. I asked about the requests in the booking notes and the desk clerk found them, read them, and then said, "oh, sorry, dogs aren't allowed on the second floor." So, the reservation person COULD guarantee that we would, in fact, not have been able to get the room I requested, since their hotel policies were against my request.

We stuck it out in that room for one sleepless night and then walked around the town in the morning looking for alternatives. It turns out the Best Western next door was cheaper, allowed dogs, and was designed so that many rooms had views - also - you could book the view rooms explicitly. I have always had a bit of a bias against large hotel chains so we hadn't really considered it before the crisis point, but we had to admit, it was a better option. So, we spent our morning mustering up the courage to ask for early check-out. BIG PROPS to the desk clerk who was on duty, because he upgraded us to a quiet, private suite with a view, one of the few view rooms in the hotel, it turns out. Because it faced the creek, we had privacy and were able to keep the curtains open. That room was comfortable, spacious and light - what we had expected our original room to be, and since the weather was terrible (heavy rain and snow), we really needed a room that wasn't a dark hole so that we could have some sense of being in Sedona when hiking wasn't an option. We were even able to watch Oak Creek surge to fifty feet across as the rains caused it to swell.

After the room switch our stay improved immensely, and their rating from us was upgraded from a one to a three. We ate at the restaurant twice and had good, fresh southwestern food both times. They have a special tequila tasting menu that is a really good value for very top shelf tequilas, worth every penny for the tequila aficionado.

The reason we are stuck at a rating of three is that this hotel has a terrible architectural design that means that most people who stay here will probably suffer in one way or another from these same issues. We walked around the property trying to identify where the view rooms even were, because most rooms are dark and facing something uninteresting - either the loud courtyard area or a small grassy area facing a fence. Most rooms, except the creek ones, which are a small % of the rooms on the property, have no privacy, which means that you need to keep your curtains closed at all times. Even the ones facing away from the courtyard are facing lawns where people are walking dogs at all hours. The doors are not properly sound insulated which is always annoying, but especially so when there are dogs barking - it creates barking chain reactions, and as dog owners who work hard to keep our dog quiet and respectful, this added extra unnecessary stress to our stay.

Other hotels in this area are designed with most rooms facing the red rocks, and certainly allow you to book rooms with views explicitly, but this hotel isn't really angled properly for views except from the suites, the restaurant and the pool area. If you want a room with a view, you are better off either booking the creek suite explicitly (expensive) or staying at one of the MANY other hotels in this area that have a better design to capture the view and allow you to book those rooms explicitly. Don't depend on the "account notes" for anything relating to your room booking.

Also, one extra annoying side-note - wifi isn't free. You have to pay for it with your data. You have to sign up for the hotel's rewards program, fill out pages and pages of personal info, and then it's "Free." This day and age when it is SO easy and cheap for hotels to offer free Wifi and so many of them do, I find this type of data mining offensive and so should you.

Room Tip: Only book a suite. Forget every other room, stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Greetings Singaforian
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry that your trip got off on the wrong foot but thrilled our team was able to make it right for you. My apologies that we didn’t get it right from the start.
The Amara, as a Kimpton property, is extremely pet friendly from the Welcome board, treats and water on the front drive to the pet amenities we have for our guests (beds, bowls, bags, treats, etc.). Many of our guests prefer the first level as it is much easier to take your pet out or for a walk but I realize that is not everyone. Not all of our rooms have red rock views but the courtyard is a great place to congregate, have some fun, and maybe even a few beverages. Wifi is complimentary as a Kimpton Karma member which only takes a few moments to join. As you travel across the nation to other properties as a Karma member you will receive $10 towards raiding the Bar (honor bar or in Bar), great deals, as well as free wifi. It’s a great program. Chef is ecstatic you had several great meals and that the beverages were top shelf.
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Though I loved almost everything about this hotel, I couldn't help feel disappointed by the hosts of "extra" costs. For that reason only, I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

The location is wonderfully central to downtown Sedona, and the resort will provide a free shuttle to anywhere you'd like to go within a mile radius. There are hundreds of spectacular hikes nearby, and "downtown" Sedona is walking distance. The hotel is wrapped around a courtyard overlooking the Red Rocks. In the evening, they offer "free" wine (More on this later) where you can bliss out looking at the sun setting against the Red Rocks - truly spectacular. The Courtyard Patio is the heart of the hotel, with its infinity pool, hot tub, lounge chairs, patio dining, and games. For this reason, we were so glad to have a ground floor room with direct access to the patio - our children were in and out of our room, playing games (like giant connect four, giant jenga..) with new friends in the courtyard.

The rooms are clean, luxurious, and quiet. Though this hotel accepts pets, we didn't feel any left over allergens or see any stains in our room or the hotel. There were no hidden or masked smells, just clean.

The hotel charges an extra $22/night resort fee which includes valet (though not the tips!), free yoga morning class, local and toll-free calls (which seems like an obsolete offering with mobile phones), free coffee/tea in the morning (for an hour) and free wine in the evening (for an hour). Then there's a resort fee tax on the the resort fee! (Become a Kimpton Karma Member for free wifi, otherwise, extra fee). Even if you don't take advantage of any of these services, the fees aren't optional. I don't understand why they don't include all these fees in the price of the room and find the word "resort" misleading.

Once we found out that we didn't have an option, I was determined to take advantage of my extra $22/day...I went to yoga every morning - EXCELLENT!

We didn't enjoy spending over $100 for breakfast at the only restaurant option - so we went to Wildflower Bread Company in town, which served the most delicious bread I've had in a long time. Breakfast there was unpretentious and delicious: $35 for our family of 5. (the "free" shuttle will take you, but we chose to walk)

My daughter and I enjoyed a service at the SPA, which is small but really enjoyable. Our esthetician Robyn was excellent! Here again, my expectation was that a spa at a "resort" has a fee that's inclusive of all service. But Amara's fees do not include gratuity, so an additional 25% was suggested by the receptionist - and when you've had an excellent experience, how can you say no?

Room Tip: Lower floor, courtyard accessible rooms have the most ease to fully enjoy the pool and social activi...
Greetings AcuV,
I am thrilled to hear that your family had such a great visit. The Amara is in the heart of uptown but far enough away that you feel the peace and serenity. The views are amazing with so much to do and explore in this beautiful destination. The courtyard is a great place to gather, soak up the views or sun, have a beverage or two and maybe play a game with your new best friend. The resort fee includes valet parking, daily yoga classes, access to steam and relaxation rooms at the spa, and shuttle service within a mile of the property. In addition, morning coffee from 5:30am-9am and nightly wine hour from 5p-6p are a few more amenities to enjoy each day. Thank you for recognizing Robyn in the spa. She truly is an amazing esthetician and she was thrilled to hear you had such an amazing experience. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great 100 room hotel. Front desk staff was awesome! Ryan was very helpful and attentive to our needs. Resort fee includes fitness center, Yoga classes and access to the steam rooms. Complimentary coffee, tea, hot cocoa with toppings and ice cold citrus infused water. Infinity pool looked nice, but did not use. Great lawn games like Jenga, Connect Four and Cornhole. Complimentary wine hour from 5-6pm and blankets to keep you warm on a cool night.
Again, staff was amazing and top notch!
Totally recommend the Amara! We will be back!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to spend your birthday getaway with us, we are honored. Ryan appreciates the recognition and was so happy he could have such a positive impact on your stay. The courtyard games are a big hit and bring everyone together to socialize whether before or after wine hour. Yoga is a great way to start the day and if you have some time to be pampered visit the spa for some of the most incredible treatments in Sedona. We look forward to your next stay.

Patrick G

Been to Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!