“hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Fairview Park, Ohio
“hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary while staying at the Amara. Very nice boutique hotel. Young vibrant staff willing to please. Some very nice ammenities: free valet parking, free shuttle bus to take you anywhere within a mile of hotel, free wine tasting every afternoon and very picturesque albeit somewhat small pool with a wonderful view. Also, nice courtyard exrtending from the outdoor seating at the restaurant all the way down to the pool. Adirondack chairs spread about and outdoor brick gas firepits. Very good location in the heart of Uptown Sedona. To be noted it is at the bottom of a small road with a pretty steep grade. I bring this up mostly for the elderly, it is a pretty good climb up to the main road and action. I'm sure, however that the very helpful valet guys would get anyone to the top who had doubts about the walk uphill. The property backs up along the creek to the L'Auberge Resort just for a geographical reference. Property is pet friendly and part of the Kimpton Hotels group.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Pelham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Amara resort is situated in the most idyllic setting in Sedona - the view fr the pool and lawn patio is of gorgeous red rocks that make Sedona such a stellar place to hike, walk and drive. Our room was very nice - not exciting but a comfy bed and terrific shower I loved so much remembered the name - speak man any stream - we had two delicious breakfasts that combined standards like waffles and eggs Benedict with southwestern spice and herb touches that were so tasty , service provided great touches like planning our hike and having a plentiful daily newspaper selection - daily yoga also welcome and relaxing as was our massages - julie was one of the best therapists I've ever had - my only complaint? One of those boxed in bed frames that you will kill your calf bone or knee on at Least once just walking - coming back a little beaten up by the bed frame - why do hotels have these anymore? But not to detract from a beautiful, serene experience - really loved it

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

After an unfortunate vacation rental experience in Sedona, my husband and I decided to try and end our Sedona trip on a high note by booking a last-minute room at Amara. It was one of the best decisions of the trip! From making our reservation over the phone to checking in with the valet, the staff was among the most sincerely friendly and customer-service oriented I have ever encountered.

We were able to book a creekside studio suite, which I HIGHLY recommend - one wall faced out directly onto the creek and the other wall featured a very large, very comfortable patio with lounge seating and a small patio dining table for four. The views from the patio were of the creek and beautiful red rock formations as well as excellent views of the pool and hotel resort. It made for perfect sunset and people watching. (note to hotel management - the deck is in dire need of resurfacing).

The room was very clean and comfortable with excellent bedding and bathroom amenities. It was the first time we were traveling with our dog, a 75lb Golden Retriever, but the Amara staff never blinked an eye. They give 'pet friendly' an entirely new meaning (most hotels only allow small dogs). Our room had a doggie bed and food/water bowls ready and waiting, along with an excellent mini bar for us! Side note, we forgot the dog food in the car and the bellman without hesitation went to get it as if it were no big deal (even though our room was at the very end of the property and he had to run back up front and into the garage to get it from the car). P.S. even though the property allows dogs of all sizes, the property did not smell like pets - good housecleaning!

We had lunch and dinner at "SaltRock," the hotel restaurant and both times, it was very, very good. Lunch was made to order guacamole and a huge egg salad sandwich with rosemary garlic fries that was light, delicious and filling all at the same time. Dinner was braised lamb shank over southwestern style grits and a large, very, very, very good cheeseburger of excellent quality. Overall outstanding food quality, taste and portions. We dined on the patio both times as the restaurant bar was under construction, which made for a bit of noise inside. The service at dinner was exceptional - again, some of the absolute best customer service I've ever experienced (and I travel/dine out significantly). Kudos to the management and staff of this property - they are definitely doing something right!

This was our first stay at a Kimpton property but we are now huge fans and have already booked a Kimpton property for our upcoming San Francisco trip - all due to our experience at Amara in Sedona. Because I joined as a Kimpton Karma rewards member prior to booking, we received 20% off our stay at Amara because it was my birthday (a Kimpton Karma perk), plus a wonderful note greeting us and wishing me a happy birthday with two glasses of champagne and dessert for two in the restaurant. I felt so pampered! Kimpton hotels, thank you so much!

Room Tip: Ask for a creekside room.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed for three nights earlier this month as part of a two week western trip. Sedona was our last stop and we were thrilled with our hotel choice. Kimptons always have that special look but what really made the Amara standout was the wonderful staff. All of our encounters were first rate. I emailed in advance requesting a coffee machine in the room and an empty refrigerator. Needless to say, both were done. The pool is lovely and the servers were excellent. As others have pointed out, the valets are the best! We look forward to returning.

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My mother, sister, and I recently stayed at the Amara and truly enjoyed our stay. The hotel definitely has a modern, boutique feel. I was thrilled with having a yoga mat in the room which I could bring to the free early morning yoga class in the spa building. (There is a class at 7:30 and another at 8:45.)

While the hotel has such nice amenities as the yoga, plush bathrobes, exercise room, 1-mile radius shuttle, water bottles when you are getting your car from the valets, etc., it is the staff which is the true standout. The front desk people, the valets/shuttle drivers, and maintenance worker were all super-friendly.

The manager, in particular, deserved special recognition. My mom and sister, who attended the free happy hours, became quite friendly with the relatively-new manager. He went out of his way to be helpful. For example, when my sister mentioned she'd hurt her knee at the airport, he made sure to give her an ice pack to bring back to her room as soon as she was finished with dinner. When he heard a few days' later that my mom had a sore neck, he obviously told an employee to go to Walgreen's to get a hearing pad, because a concierge had one for her when we returned to the hotel.

The manager is living at the hotel temporarily while awaiting his move to his new home. That helps to explain why this gentleman works such long days/seems to be about all the time, be it helping guests after dinner or helping to serve breakfast!

So why did I give the Amara 4/5 stars? Plumbing issues. My first night, my shower water suddenly ran cold twice, although it would come out of the faucet. I reported it, and the maintenance man fixed it the next day. Then that night onward, I could not get hot water out of the sink. I reported it; but, the note left by maintenance said that I just needed to let it run a while! I do not know how long he let it run. But, after a few days of washing hands, washing my face, etc. for over a minute each time, I can tell you that I still had NO hot sink water.

Stayed September 2014
Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Friends had recommended the Amara to us, and it did not disappoint. The resort itself is luxurious, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The amenities were outstanding.
1) The free coffee bar in the lobby in the morning was great. The hot and iced coffees were rich and tasty.
2) The spa was tremendous. My wife and I had deep tissue massages there, and we were both extremely pleased with our therapists. Ask for Jill or Darren.
3) We loved the hotel restaurant - the newly opened SALTROCK. It was positioned in the middle of the resort with unbelievable views one of the iconic Sedona rock formations. We enjoyed two breakfasts and one dinner, and all three meals were great. The dinner menu is quite unique and will appeal to those eager to try something new and different. (I'm not an adventurous eater, but, in the spirit of all that is Sedona, I gave some new dishes a try - and I was glad I did!)
4) In order to have perfect views of the landscape, the Amara was built down a hill from the main street in downtown Sedona. Consequently, the resort provides a free shuttle (car) service throughout the day/night to get to and from downtown. While my wife and I used the shuttle to get up the hill, we walked down the hill to the hotel a few times with no difficulty.
5) The pool and hot tub spa are located in the center of the u-shaped hotel adjacent to the restaurant. We thoroughly relaxed by sitting in the infinity pool and staring at the landscape. Life can't get much better than this!
6) Our room was attractive and comfortable. The king bed and pillows were ultra plush, and the bathroom was large and well laid out. The room was on the first floor. We had sliding glass doors that led to a small patio with a table and two chairs near the courtyard, restaurant, and pool. Again, a great place to sit, drink coffee, meditate, and/or just enjoy the spectacular view!
In summary, the Amara is a perfect place to experience all that Sedona has to offer. The peace, serenity, and energy of Sedona is so enticing that we will go back again. When we do, we will stay at the Amara!

Room Tip: We had a first floor king room with a patio door that opened to our own patio. We had views of the...
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We enjoyed a getaway trip in September. The weather was perfect. Spent a couple of hours each day poolside enjoying the quite pool and tremendous view of "snoopy" red rock.

We took the cat b/c of the short notice we didn't have a cat sitter. The hotel accommodated the pet without a beat.

Room Tip: You may want to request main floor. We stayed here before and were is a room on the second floor...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!