“Pet friendly hotel with a beautiful view” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Amara Lane, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Pet friendly hotel with a beautiful view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

After a long day of driving, we arrived just in time to take advantage of the complimentary wine reception in the lobby - yes! Free wine is always a bonus. I really like the hip vibe of Kimpton hotels and the fact that they don't charge extra for pets is a huge plus. The view from the back of the restaurant and pool area is breathtaking. We had a delicious meal at the on site restaurant and great customer service all around. If we return to Sedona, we will stay here again!

Room Tip: Sign up for the loyalty program - you will get a $10 credit to use at the bar or the in-room mini ba...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our wine hour. There is not a better hour during the day than 5p-6p in a Kimpton hotel. Four legged freinds are always welcome and Kimpton makes it easy. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Sedona.

Warm regards,
Patrick Gaskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Nothing went right. Arrived and i had had made arrangements to have birthday cake in room. Had to wait for them to get it. No one gave us directions to room. When we asked at restaurant they asked if we were guest why didnt we have luggage. Ever heard of valet parking. Finally got to room no cake . Then they put it in fridge. Not on table so no big reveal to 100 cake. Room suppose to have balcony it was 1 ft deep. Called to get real balcony. Than lost room with view. Got on line to see if i could up grade at cost they said no rooms available even though web site showed it was. They had wedding happening so pool/ht tub closed for wedding. No one cared that weekend was 50th bday and so many disappointments. No we are sorry. No free bottle wine nothing. Wont go back. Stay away not worth hassles to be treated badly by staff. This is Sedona I expect good service. This is not the place. To many other choices. Stay away. Also cleaning carts in hallways. Just not worth it.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear it was not a positive one and we missed the mark with your birthday celebration. The pool did close for 90 minutes so that a couple could exchange their vows on their special day. Wine hour was extended to accommodate guests not part of the wedding celebration and the pool did reopen after the ceremony. Sedona is a truly special place I apologize that we did not make your weekend here a positive one. We certainly want all of our guests to enjoy the magic of Sedona.
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I can't review a stay at the actual hotel, considering I just cancelled our reservations based on just my phone experience with the girls at the front desk. I booked the trip through Expedia and got a decent rate, but had to call two times to confirm some items. Both times I got the snottiest girls on the phone who acted like I was wasting their precious nail-painting time because I, the paying customer, had several questions about our family vacation.

No way was I going to risk having to see their negative attitudes in person. I've been to Sedona 6 times and it's an incredible place, obviously not having any positive effect on those two. Sorry Amara, you lose.

I just cancelled my reservation and we're booked at a different resort that was tremendously pleasant on the phone. I might try you again in the future if you choose to do the obvious and correct thing which would be to hire professional client service people who are presenting a first impression of your establishment.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Greetings from Sedona Mr. Noga ,
I am sorry to hear about your very disappointing experience during your two separate phone calls to the property. I am shocked and disappointed to hear that the front desk receptionist was rude and unhelpful. This is not typical of the service levels we pride ourselves on at Kimpton Hotels. I am extremely embarrassed. I understand your willingness to cancel your reservation and make arrangements elsewhere. I know it will be difficult to change your opinion of our property but I hope you may give us another opportunity in the future. I ask that you reach out to me directly so that I may assist with your reservation. I would like to show you the true Kimpton experience here in Sedona.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location, beautiful setting along the creek. I have been here 3 times and just love it.

Lovely place. You'll enjoy your stay outside your room as much as inside!

Nice restaurant, warming fire pit, delightful pool with a killer view.

Treat yourself with a stay here. Make some memories!

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was not feeling particularly great the morning that we left Tampa; UNTIL we arrived at "the Amara".
Holy s**t, WHAT?!??!?!!', my brain said, as we wandered around the grassy area with tables, chairs, couches, fire pit.....WAIT! COUCHES??
I sat down and relaxed into one of, if not THE, most comfortable outdoor pieces of furniture ever.
Our room was gorgeous, of course, and the concierge and wait staff, impeccable. I couldn't help asking one of guys of immediate Native American descent what the casino on the reservation was like.
PRAYING he wouldn't wish death upon me, he smiled and said, "why you wanna go there?
I told him about my daughter being 1/4 Native American & that wasn't my sole purpose- to walk in her shoes, I was just "curious".
His eyes shifted from brown to gray and he said, "Don't go there; it's just depressing." His look stayed with me through the rest of our trip: Cathedral Rock (a must see), Tlaquepaque with it's mainly art shops and exquisite restaurant, and some of the MANY Oak Creek hiking trails- breathtaking.
I like to be pampered and we were (they do have a "spa" wing with Yoga, massage and the like) but it had that mountain charm I did not have at home.

• Stayed February 2013
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I were only going to be in Sedona for a quick two-night stay, and, having never been to the area before, we weren't quite sure where to stay. After looking into several places, we decided to give Amara Resort a try, and the reviews we read on TripAdvisor were pretty good, so we booked it. The picture on their website was so pretty, and the reality did not disappoint. As soon as we stepped out into the terrace, outside the restaurant, our breath was just taken away by the view in front of us -- of the Snoopy Rock formation. We arrived in the afternoon, and the light was striking the rocks so beautifully. We were actually going to sit down and order food, but we had to start taking pictures to capture that gorgeous, close-up view. One of the pictures will grace our holiday greeting card. The grounds of the hotel are really nice. We paid a little extra for a creek-side room, but I think even having a room facing the pool/courtyard area would have been just fine. The property is not enormous, but the landscaping is great and the area near the terrace is very modern and sleek. A great place to sit and sip the free wine samples that are handed out in the early evening. There's also a nice infinity pool, which fits in so nicely with the area. The rooms are not super fancy, but they are clean and functional. I guess, having admired the terrace and pool area so much, I had a higher expectation for the room. We had a little patio, which faced the creek, so it was nice to sit out there in the early morning to read a book and inhale the fresh air. The on-site restaurant is delicious. The food was of great quality. We were only in Sedona for a short-time, so we didn't get an opportunity to explore too much near our hotel, but, a short, steep stroll up the hill from the hotel (totally do-able if you are good with walking), you'll find stores and restaurants. Most of the stores closed around 8 pm when we were there. The Amara Resort seems to be right in the heart of the activity, should you desire it, but, being down a hill away from the street, ensures the privacy and charm of being in this beautiful area is retained. Another neat stroll is to the adjacent L'Auberge hotel. We found chairs along the creek that we sat at and enjoyed watching the ducks. The Amara Resort was a great choice for us -- we were pleased with the location, the ambiance of the hotel and area, and the awesome views that this hotel enjoys. It's a gem!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha056,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that one of the pictures will be your Christmas card. Thats pretty cool. We think we have a little piece of heaven here. I will share your kind words with the team. We hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. -We will be renovating our guest rooms next summer (the end of May and June).
Guilford, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I recommended that my son and his girlfriend stay here as I frequently use Kimpton. Boy was THAT a mistake. First, it was raining and cold and their hot air balloon ride and horseback riding were cancelled due to rain. But rain one can understand. Not having a working pool or jacuzzi when there is not much else to do and you're in a SPA, is not something one can understand -- especially when you call the hotel, which I did, and ask what it would be if I paid for them to stay for an extra night so they could recoup some of their lost days due to rain and they offer to charge me TEN DOLLARS MORE than they purchased through expedia and certainly not when you get a very rude clerk on the phone who says, 'and the pool is likely not to be fixed tomorrow either.' I explained that the clerk was not being helpful and no I was not satisfied. I told the same clerk I can get a room at the resort MUCH cheaper than what she just quoted. She told me to go ahead and book that then. Sorry Amara. Sorry Kimpton. There is no excuse for rudeness of your staff. Facilities not working with not an I'm sorry, let alone even a damn voucher for a drink in the lounge in return? Really? Even when I explained that I recommended the hotel to my son for his very first vacation ever and he's dropping well over $200 a night there? You know what, Amara, you just lost a customer in him that you could have had for life. There are lots of great hotels with nice settings in Sedona and nicer staffs who understand the value of good customer service. Forget this one. I am very disappointed in Kimpton which I usually use for both business and personal travel. But, no more.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry the weather put a damper on your son’s experience as well as the lack of assistance from the team here. The hot tub and pool heaters going down were certainly disappointing to all our guests. The inclement weather certainly did significant damage to the heaters resulting in brand new heaters having to be shipped in. It did take longer than anticipated but we did make arrangements for our guests to be shuttled to our neighbors next door to still enjoy a pool and hot tub. Thank you very much to our very kind neighbors for helping us out.

Amara Resort & Spa

Been to Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!