“Not quiet, not relaxing” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Amara Lane, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not quiet, not relaxing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked three nights at the Amara Resort and Spa thinking I would have a quiet, relaxing stay. I have been here one night and my stay has been anything but quiet and relaxing. The view from the pool is beautiful, but the pool is constantly filled with kids and their pool toys. There are not enough lounge chairs and the noise level at the pool is unlike anything I've ever experienced. The pool opens at 7am and would be wonderful if there were adult only hours. However, families rush down to the pool first thing to secure chairs and cabanas (which have fans and TVs of all things!) so there is really no time for someone to enjoy the beautiful Sedona scenery with a little peace and quiet. I was quite disappointed with the view from my room which looked at a cabin behind the hotel.

I guess this hotel was just nothing like I expected. When I think of Sedona, I think of a peaceful, relaxing place with breathtaking views. Unfortunately, if you want those things, do not stay at the Amara Resort & Spa. You will get a gorgeous view from the pool but are likely to be splashed by a kid doing a cannon ball into the water. The pool is also small and really only comfortably accommodates 15 people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
MargieV,
Greetings from Beautiful Sedona,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about the property. I am sorry it was not the experience you expected. Kimpton recently purchased this property and will certainly doing renovations of the guest rooms as well as add seating to the pool area in the next year. We are certainly a very family friendly property, as everyone wants to share in the beauty of Sedona. Your feedback is certainly helpful and we will use it as we move forward to improve upon service levels and our guest experience. I certainly apologize your stay has not been relaxing. The spa is a great place to relax and rejuvenate the mind and body.. There is daily yoga every morning at 8:30AM,, you can take a nice hot steam or even just relax and read in the relaxation room.

Amara Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the beginning of July. It was everything we expected and more. The room was great - we requested a ground floor room on the courtyard and that's what we got. Everyone was friendly and helpful, the views were fantastic, the service was top rate and the kids loved the pool. We never had a problem with finding a spot to sit at the pool.The food was excellent and the free wine and music outside at night were a nice touch. We will definately be back.

gfedorick,

That is certainly high praise. Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family had incredible time and will be back. The chef and the team are appreciative of your comments as well.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I would agree with other reviewers that this isn't really a resort. It feels more like an updated motel with a small pool and it really doesn't feel like other Kimptons I've stayed in - more like a sub-brand.

What I realized is a good number of the rooms have really no view at all - you may have a balcony but facing a huge tree - and that's an "upgraded" room. Or a window from the room next door might look right your room!The pool situation is very cramped and we didn't even get any pool time because of it. Those are fundamental problems that can't really be changed so it's hard to give this place high marks.

The food (three different meals) however was outstanding and I wouldn't recommend leaving the property to eat because you'll find nothing better. And the staff we encountered were all exceptionally friendly.

One gripe: two female hotel "executives" were having lunch next to us talking about the property. Not sure their roles but they really need to move around the hotel more because the bottled water sitting out in 120 degree sune for hours leeching BPA and everything else is just poor management.

Don't think I would return here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
herculepoirot,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about the property. I am sorry it was not the experience you expected. Kimpton recently (June 11th) purchased this property and will be renovating the guest rooms, lobby, and adding seating at the pool over the next year. Your feedback is certainly helpful and we will use it as we move forward to improve upon service levels and our guest experience. The Chef thanks you for your wonderful comments about the food and I concur it is the best in Sedona. I hope you will change your mind and offer us another opportunity in the future
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family spent a weekend at the Amara Resort & Spa in Sedona, AZ. The staff was great and very cooperative. We liked the rooms, but they do need some updating to the quality of other Kimpton hotels. New drapes, carpet, paint, etc. I realize that Kimpton just purchased this facility and so need time to make changes. Food was very good and wait staff excellent. I would recommned a stay there. Clean, comfortable and very convenient.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and quiet
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This resort is only considered a 4-star but it should be a 5-star. The staff is exceptional - front desk, restaurant, bar area, poolside. They even found glue to help me fix my broken sunglasses and brought them out to me at the pool. The bartender offered to make a normally 'dry' drink sweeter by adding their homemade grenadine. The one server came out to the pool and spent about 10 minutes with us telling what sites to see in the area and gave us directions. The valets gave us bottles of water on our way out. They remodeled their pool area in the past couple years but I think they could have made it just a little bit bigger. We arrived early afternoon so our room wasn't ready so the staff told us to go to the spa and get changed and use the pool while we waited for our room. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Amara Resort is located just minutes away from the heart of the main strip of Sedona. The caveat is that it's down a very steep hill so walking to the street level can be daunting for some. They do offer a shuttle service but I find that slightly inconvenient since I would rather walk. However, the location allows for the hotel to be secluded while very close to the action, which makes the overall location great.

The service seemed very good. We were checked in by Teah and she was very friendly and efficient. Kimpton had just recently purchased the hotel so we didn't know if we would get our Inner Circle benefits at the hotel. However, we found that they had taken care to leave "treats" in our room and had even gotten balloons and a card (signed by about 10 staff) for our daughter who was celebrating a birthday that weekend. That special touch is what makes Kimpton hotels stand out in general and Amara met that high standard. However, I would say that the staff friendliness in general seemed a little less than other Kimpton's we've stayed (which means that the service was still very good).

We were a little disappointed with our room, we had a view of a wall and outside storage area with stacks of bottled water (we were on the first floor). Also, there were these three small windows covered with blinds that did not seal out the sunlight so the room in the morning was too bright. The beds were fine, great bath amenities as you would expect at a Kimpton and overall the room was good but could have been better.

My only really complaint was with the pool area. We really liked the pool area but the seating was too limited. When we went out to use the pool at 2pm, all of the spots were taken. There are three "cabanas" that occupy a significant portion of the pool deck and they are available on a first come, first serve basis. While I applaud the generosity of doing cabanas that way (I really do, it's nice to see a hotel not nickel & dime people), it just creates a situation where people get up very early in the morning and claim them. So then there are probably about about a dozen chaise loungers left and a couple of miscellaneous chairs. Those cabanas could be removed and the number of chaise loungers greatly expanded. We found it very irritating to be at a 100 room property and have no spots at the pool available since this is usually an issue only at large resorts in our experience. I would also point out that the staff person manning the towel spot was probably the only example of mediocre service we received at the property but don't weigh that too heavily since we were irritated to have to wait about 30 minutes for an open spot.

The Hundred Rox restaurant was good at breakfast. The service was good and the food was very good. We ate outside on the patio and the morning atmosphere at the hotel with the view was very nice.

We also really enjoyed the live music in the evening. They had a guitar player over the 4th of July weekend and when they lit the firepits, it made for a relaxing evening.

To recap, we would definitely recommend the Amara if you are traveling to Sedona. It's location is wonderful, the overall property is really nice and the staff is welcoming. There is room for improvement but I imagine that Kimpton will "upgrade" some things once they appraise the property. We enjoyed our trip to Sedona (our first time there) and we expect to return.

TudorTravels,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about your stay and the property. We are certainly excited to have a Kimpton property in Sedona and look forward to raising the bar. We are very fortunate to have incredible people like Teah that are able to have such an amazing impact on you and your daughter. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and thank you for celebrating your daughter’s special birthday with us.
I am so happy that you enjoyed your breakfast; I honestly feel we have the best food in Sedona. We certainly have some areas of opportunity but your honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I am sorry we missed the mark on service in a couple of areas but will use this to improve service levels. As we go through the renovation of the property the pool area is certainly an area we want to improve upon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Enjoyed our stay...but have to say they don't meets your needs when you call front desk gor service. Honestly, request some simple like toilet paper and 1 1/2 hrs later still didn't show up...had to go find some on a housekeeping cart. That is what I will take with me as a reminder of customer service. Shame shame!! The guys in the parking area were excellent!

• Stayed July 2013
4louisesw,
I am so very sorry that you had this experience. This is beyond disappointing and upsetting. I appreciate your honest feedback and it is certainly something we will address. Clearly valets made a positive impression on you and the team can learn from that. I hope will give us another opportunity in the future to show you a much more enjoyable and memorable experience.

Amara Resort & Spa

Been to Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!