“Very nice overall with some room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% off
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Very nice overall with some room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Amara Resort is located just minutes away from the heart of the main strip of Sedona. The caveat is that it's down a very steep hill so walking to the street level can be daunting for some. They do offer a shuttle service but I find that slightly inconvenient since I would rather walk. However, the location allows for the hotel to be secluded while very close to the action, which makes the overall location great.

The service seemed very good. We were checked in by Teah and she was very friendly and efficient. Kimpton had just recently purchased the hotel so we didn't know if we would get our Inner Circle benefits at the hotel. However, we found that they had taken care to leave "treats" in our room and had even gotten balloons and a card (signed by about 10 staff) for our daughter who was celebrating a birthday that weekend. That special touch is what makes Kimpton hotels stand out in general and Amara met that high standard. However, I would say that the staff friendliness in general seemed a little less than other Kimpton's we've stayed (which means that the service was still very good).

We were a little disappointed with our room, we had a view of a wall and outside storage area with stacks of bottled water (we were on the first floor). Also, there were these three small windows covered with blinds that did not seal out the sunlight so the room in the morning was too bright. The beds were fine, great bath amenities as you would expect at a Kimpton and overall the room was good but could have been better.

My only really complaint was with the pool area. We really liked the pool area but the seating was too limited. When we went out to use the pool at 2pm, all of the spots were taken. There are three "cabanas" that occupy a significant portion of the pool deck and they are available on a first come, first serve basis. While I applaud the generosity of doing cabanas that way (I really do, it's nice to see a hotel not nickel & dime people), it just creates a situation where people get up very early in the morning and claim them. So then there are probably about about a dozen chaise loungers left and a couple of miscellaneous chairs. Those cabanas could be removed and the number of chaise loungers greatly expanded. We found it very irritating to be at a 100 room property and have no spots at the pool available since this is usually an issue only at large resorts in our experience. I would also point out that the staff person manning the towel spot was probably the only example of mediocre service we received at the property but don't weigh that too heavily since we were irritated to have to wait about 30 minutes for an open spot.

The Hundred Rox restaurant was good at breakfast. The service was good and the food was very good. We ate outside on the patio and the morning atmosphere at the hotel with the view was very nice.

We also really enjoyed the live music in the evening. They had a guitar player over the 4th of July weekend and when they lit the firepits, it made for a relaxing evening.

To recap, we would definitely recommend the Amara if you are traveling to Sedona. It's location is wonderful, the overall property is really nice and the staff is welcoming. There is room for improvement but I imagine that Kimpton will "upgrade" some things once they appraise the property. We enjoyed our trip to Sedona (our first time there) and we expect to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Patrick G, General Manager at Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
TudorTravels,
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about your stay and the property. We are certainly excited to have a Kimpton property in Sedona and look forward to raising the bar. We are very fortunate to have incredible people like Teah that are able to have such an amazing impact on you and your daughter. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and thank you for celebrating your daughter’s special birthday with us.
I am so happy that you enjoyed your breakfast; I honestly feel we have the best food in Sedona. We certainly have some areas of opportunity but your honest feedback is greatly appreciated. I am sorry we missed the mark on service in a couple of areas but will use this to improve service levels. As we go through the renovation of the property the pool area is certainly an area we want to improve upon.
Amara Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Enjoyed our stay...but have to say they don't meets your needs when you call front desk gor service. Honestly, request some simple like toilet paper and 1 1/2 hrs later still didn't show up...had to go find some on a housekeeping cart. That is what I will take with me as a reminder of customer service. Shame shame!! The guys in the parking area were excellent!

• Stayed July 2013
4louisesw,
I am so very sorry that you had this experience. This is beyond disappointing and upsetting. I appreciate your honest feedback and it is certainly something we will address. Clearly valets made a positive impression on you and the team can learn from that. I hope will give us another opportunity in the future to show you a much more enjoyable and memorable experience.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel has recently been taken over by the Kimpton property line and they have once again turned an average hotel into a true gem. It begins with the valet/bellman that greet you upon arrival and assist you to the front desk for check-in, might I add that the lobby is very fresh and inviting with the recent remodel. We dined at the resturant for lunch and dinner and all of the wait staff were very friendly and accommodating. The Amara resort is on its way to becoming one of the most popular places to stay in Sedona from my opinion. The last time we were in Sedona we stayed at the Enchantment resort which turned out to be nothing more than a well maketed dud in our eyes, we would reccomend to anyone the Amara resort over the Enchantment resort. For us its all about service quality, property condition and attention to detail and they nailed all three. The most important benefit for us is that they are BEYOND pet friendly and since we don't travel without our pet we are able to stay somewhere that doesn't make you feel unwanted. At this point we feel spoiled and will not give our business to any other property line, we hope they continue to grow as it's always refreshing to be able to visit somewhere new. Well done Amara staff you have earned a repeat customer.

Room Tip: Pool View closer to the lobby.
Travelin Dog g
Thank you for the wonderful comments about the team and the property. We are very excited to have Kimpton in Sedona as well. One of the best parts of staying at Kimpton is being able to bring your pet without any hassle which is extremely important for me as well. We always want Sparky to feel as important as his parents. We look forward to your next visit with us. And don’t forget to tell your friends about us. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Warm regards,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed for two nights at the newly rejuvenated Amara Kimpton resort July 4 & July 5.

I was planning a trip to Arizona/Grand Canyon when I received an email as a Kimpton Member alerting me to the newly refurbished resort. I was excited as my previous stays with Kimpton have been extraordinarily memorable (Seattle and DC).

I have to agree with chadz78 - the resort and its location in uptown Sedona is nice, making it walkable to restaurants. The room (101) I stayed in was an accessibility room (why? I never requested for it), was barely average with a view of a wall, and a painful showerhead designed to point only at some one sitting down. When I checked-in, of course I didn't see the shower :( The next morning, on my way out, I asked the front desk to fix the showerhead so I wouldn't have to perform any aerobics to just get a shower. Late that night when we returned from our day trip, I discovered it wasn't fixed. Exhausted, I gave up.

I wouldn't be staying here again. I thought I paid nicely for a good room and a first-rate resort ($387 for 2 nights) however the room was below expectations.

The staff was overall nice as Kimpton staff usually is.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the accessibility room if you don't need it.
ZunairaD
Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback about the property. My apologies that you were placed in an accessible room and your request to have the problem resolved was not addressed appropriately. That is frustrating and disappointing. I am sorry that your Sedona Holiday getaway was not what you anticipated. The property will go under a renovation here in the next year, specifically the guest rooms. I hope that if your travels take you back Sedona that you will give us another opportunity.

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Amara for one night July 1-2. The overall hotel property is very nice, but the rooms were not as nice as expected. The walls were thin, allowing noise from the hallway to travel through. The shower controls were slightly confusing and once we figured it out the temperature didn't warm up. We both felt the beds/pillows were lumpy and did not have a good nights sleep. Those issues aside, the resort was beautiful. Located right in Sedona, there is easy access to main street with food and shopping. The scenery around the resort is fabulous. We were not there long enough to enjoy the spa or pool. We had breakfast at Hundred Rox in the morning and it was outstanding. The staff at the hotel were all great and made us feel welcome. They addressed our concerns when raised and did everything they could to help us enjoy our stay.

chadz78
My apologies your stay wasn’t the relaxing experience you were anticipating during your short time in Sedona.
I do appreciate your honesty and willingness to share your feedback. As a newly acquired Kimpton property, renovations to the guest rooms will happen over the next year and this feedback is certainly helpful. We are very proud of the restaurant team and food our talented chefs produce. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back after the renovation.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

First off, the hotel itself is absolutely immaculate. Great location, amazing view, and very well managed. Second, the food at the hotel restaurant was surprisingly decadent. The ribs and the rib eye were as good as any i have had. Third, the room. Wow. Every detail and need was met. Portable device charging station, hd tv standard on every channel, biiiig walk in closet, and a great shower. We are coming back. Top shelf. Top notch.

• Stayed July 2013
Berger_inferno,
Can't wait to see you again!!!!
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are very proud of the property, the team, and chefs that create such incredible food. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The location of this hotel was perfect because it was within walking distance of shops and restaurants and close to Slide Rock and numerous trailheads. They also have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere you want to go within a certain distance of the hotel. Their pool and courtyard areas with the beautiful view were our favorite places to hang out. In the evening they offered free wine in the lobby and there was a pianist playing out in the courtyard. It is a pet friendly hotel, (we do not have pets) but there was no evidence such as smell or fur anywhere so their housekeeping staff must do a wonderful job ensuring all areas are cleaned thoroughly. All the staff were very friendly, greeting and visiting with us each time we came through the lobby. We would definitely stay there again and strongly recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jburnsey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are very proud of the property and the team and share your amazing comments with them. We are very fortunate that we have amazing people that love what they do and where they do it. Next time your travels take you to Sedona we look forward to welcoming you back.

Amara Resort & Spa

Been to Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!