The Amara Resort is located just minutes away from the heart of the main strip of Sedona. The caveat is that it's down a very steep hill so walking to the street level can be daunting for some. They do offer a shuttle service but I find that slightly inconvenient since I would rather walk. However, the location allows for the hotel to be secluded while very close to the action, which makes the overall location great.
The service seemed very good. We were checked in by Teah and she was very friendly and efficient. Kimpton had just recently purchased the hotel so we didn't know if we would get our Inner Circle benefits at the hotel. However, we found that they had taken care to leave "treats" in our room and had even gotten balloons and a card (signed by about 10 staff) for our daughter who was celebrating a birthday that weekend. That special touch is what makes Kimpton hotels stand out in general and Amara met that high standard. However, I would say that the staff friendliness in general seemed a little less than other Kimpton's we've stayed (which means that the service was still very good).
We were a little disappointed with our room, we had a view of a wall and outside storage area with stacks of bottled water (we were on the first floor). Also, there were these three small windows covered with blinds that did not seal out the sunlight so the room in the morning was too bright. The beds were fine, great bath amenities as you would expect at a Kimpton and overall the room was good but could have been better.
My only really complaint was with the pool area. We really liked the pool area but the seating was too limited. When we went out to use the pool at 2pm, all of the spots were taken. There are three "cabanas" that occupy a significant portion of the pool deck and they are available on a first come, first serve basis. While I applaud the generosity of doing cabanas that way (I really do, it's nice to see a hotel not nickel & dime people), it just creates a situation where people get up very early in the morning and claim them. So then there are probably about about a dozen chaise loungers left and a couple of miscellaneous chairs. Those cabanas could be removed and the number of chaise loungers greatly expanded. We found it very irritating to be at a 100 room property and have no spots at the pool available since this is usually an issue only at large resorts in our experience. I would also point out that the staff person manning the towel spot was probably the only example of mediocre service we received at the property but don't weigh that too heavily since we were irritated to have to wait about 30 minutes for an open spot.
The Hundred Rox restaurant was good at breakfast. The service was good and the food was very good. We ate outside on the patio and the morning atmosphere at the hotel with the view was very nice.
We also really enjoyed the live music in the evening. They had a guitar player over the 4th of July weekend and when they lit the firepits, it made for a relaxing evening.
To recap, we would definitely recommend the Amara if you are traveling to Sedona. It's location is wonderful, the overall property is really nice and the staff is welcoming. There is room for improvement but I imagine that Kimpton will "upgrade" some things once they appraise the property. We enjoyed our trip to Sedona (our first time there) and we expect to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The AAA Four-Diamond Amara Resort Hotel & Spa is a modern sanctuary that offers the best of all worlds. Ideally located in the Uptown area of America's most neautiful place, Sedona, Arizona. Welcome to the Amara Resort and Spa. We invite you to sit back, relax and enjoy the many recent enhancements to our property. All guest rooms include luxurious bed linens, robes, in room safes and refrigerators, in addition to a balcony offering spectacular views of the Sedona red rocks or our gardens. Enjoy in room dining or the sounds of live music at Hundred Rox, our indoor/outdoor three meal a day restaurant. Treat yourself to a massage or hot stone treatment at The Spa or sit by our infinity pool and soak in the spirit of Sedona and the Amara Resort and Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Amara Resort & Spa, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amara Hotel, Restaurant And Spa
- Amara Hotel, Restaurant Hotel Sedona
- Amara Resort Sedona
- Amara Hotel Sedona
- Amara Sedona