“Recommended by the ranger” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 153 Activities in Sedona
Type: Biking Trails, Sports
Activities: Mountain biking
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic and easy riding trail that winds around Twins Buttes with the Praying Nuns, Madonna and the Chapel of the Holy Cross within easy view.
toronto
74 attraction reviews
“Recommended by the ranger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was only in Sedona for two days in mid December.
The ranger at the entrance to the Coconino Forest highly recommended this hike and the West Fork trail in Oak Creek Canyon.
To park one's car and do this hike (the entrance to Little Horse trail is in the overlook just before the turnoff to Back of Beyond road), one must have a Red Rock pass or a Senior or military pass displayed in the car window.
I enjoyed this hike immensely.
Even though the weather was quite chilly, there were snow and ice on parts of the trail and the trail was almost deserted.
The trail is marked by cairns, but they are not always easy to follow.
A couple of times I found myself in "the wash" rather than on the trail.
This was explained to me as I was wandering across an area heavily strewn with rocks and I noticed a bike cruising a couple of feet above me.
I was hiking alone, since I had not found a partner, but badly wanted to escape the Toronto permafreeze. It was the first time I had traveled completely alone and I asked the ranger if it was safe to hike these paths on my own.
He indicated that they were safe, but I had my first inkling that there might be a problem when I encountered a sign early on in the trail that urged one member of each party to make sure to register before doing this hike. Look as I might, there was no form or box or anything to fill out to register. I did have a cellphone with me (though not a fancy GPS one--hiking alone, a GPS phone might be a good idea). I had told the front desk at the Hilton resort where I was going and took their phone number in case I would have gotten into trouble, so that was a bit reassuring.
But, with almost no one on the trail, the thought crossed my mind that maybe this wasn't the best idea.
That said, I was too busy ogling all the gorgeous views to pay much attention--there was one magnificent view of the red rocks after another.
I dawdled a bit as I aimed my camera--each picture more amazing than its predecessor as I got closer to Chicken Point, which is called that because the Pink Jeeps used to play chicken on a rock almost overhanging the cliff.
The trail winds steadily upwards and there is a bit of rock scrambling when getting close to Chicken Point.
I glimpsed tiny figures on the edge of a cliff way overhead and wondered how I was going to get all the way up, but the trail was fine and I had poles and good hiking shoes.
The worry resurfaced when those people jumped into the pink jeeps and zoomed away down a dirt road in the opposite direction and I was left, on my own, to make my way back to the trailhead, where my car was parked, afoot, as the shadows started lengthening.
I had started a bit late as I had changed hotels in the morning.
I had originally planned to turn off and hike to cathedral rock, but ditched that plan as I conscientiously followed the tire tracks of the bikes in the muddy ground--it was the only way to make sure to stay on the trail.
I got back to the trailhead as I thought I could hear coyotes howling and the moon was already in the sky.
There is a porta-potty in the parking lot and it was very welcome.
I had used plenty of water on the hike--the two chinook water bottles strapped to my waist were almost empty and I had eaten an orange and some snacks and was wearing two more layers than when I had left. I did not have any extra--the temperature dropped to under the freezing mark that night in Sedona.
I was very, very happy to be off the trail safely as Bell and Courthouse rocks were turning golden in the waning light.
It was a fantastic hike and a highlight of my time in Sedona.
Next time I go hiking, I hope to find a partner.
It is more fun and certainly safer.

Visited December 2013

Orange, California
27 attraction reviews
“Good one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Good work-out and the reward is a terrific vista! Start at the Little Horse trail head and go up to Chicken Peak - quite steep at the end....then finish your hike by going on the Chapel trail - enjoy the views from the Chapel and the beautiful architecture - then retrace your steps back to the trail head. We found this hike a while back because it drains well in rainy weather....Not much in the way of shade.

Visited November 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
19 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent 4 days in Sedona and found trails to hike since the Grand Canyon was closed. Normally there is a charge to hike this trail but not during the shutdown. This was a 4 mile out and back hike. The views from the climb up were worth the effort. Moderate hike, great reward.

Austin, Texas
19 attraction reviews
“Easy, Great View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'm a novice hiker and found this easy. One can see the chapel from this trail. The view from chicken point is outstanding. Plan to take some time relaxing and taking it all in from the top. The jeep tours bring their guests here but they don't hang out very long. Go early morning when cool.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
“Great trek to do in a couple of hours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is an easy to moderate walk - the moderate bit comes at the end when you reach Chicken Point as there is a bit of a steep climb to get on the rock at the end but not strenuous.
This is favoured by mountain bikers so do watch out for the returners as they travel fast and if on their own you don't hear them.
Also watch out for hill runners! We came across a couple and they were just as fast as the bikers but all greet you with good humour.
It is worth the walk as the views on the top of Chicken Point are superb.