“Summit Falls a little short” 2 of 5 stars

Sedona Summit Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4055 Navoti Drive, Sedona, AZ 86336   |
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Sedona
Mashpee, MA
“Summit Falls a little short”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

The one bedroom was nice and roomy, but was one of the rooms waiting for "upgrades" - not what we were promised. Our view consisted of the parking lot. We arrived at 4:30 PM, but no rooms were available.
Missing items from the room, patio table, clock radio, etc. took three days to get. Never could get them to clean out the hot tub.
The "concierge desk" is a sales desk. Brochures are behind the desk. They are helpful, if you want to buy something or take the "90 minute" presentation.
Staying the week, it was quickly obvious that the new rooms were available, but not for resort exchange apparently. All in all, the Sedona Summit was nice, but we won't go back.

• Liked — Large rooms.
  • Disliked — Poort customer service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

We have stayed in timeshares for the last 20 years. Our two bedroom condo at the Sedona Summit Resort was truly beautiful...and one of the best we have stayed in. The stainless steel/granite kitchen, the vessel sinks, the plasma TV's in the Living Room and Bedrooms were all "top notch". Our check-in was fast and painless. We were firm with the concierge in telling her we would not take part in the timeshare pitch...and we were treated courteously. We enjoyed using the pools and workout facility. The concierge was extremely helpful in recommending restaurants and a day spa. We will return to the Sedona Summit Resort again.

• Liked — Plasma TV's, stainless steel/granite kitchens, contemporary bathrooms
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

It may help to book through Diamond Resorts to get a beautiful unit. We had a "Mesa" unit. We had a 2 bedroom that consists of a 1 bedroom joined to a studio. We had a new unit with flat screen TVs, I-homes, granite countertops, and a beautiful view of the red rocks from our balcony. Although the view from the balcony of the studio portion was of the parking lot. I don't remember the unit number, but it was down the street, directly across from the lobby.

I do have to agree that the kitchen was lacking supplies. We did not have hot pads or pot holders and were lacking such basics as a pairing knife. There were large steak knives and another large knife in the unit, but it's difficult to cut a carrot or tomatoes with those. On the plus side, They came very quickly with a pairing knife when I called. It took a little longer to get delivery of a cookie sheet and pool towls. I was also suprised to find no washclothes in either bathroom.

We had a little extra time and our 18 YO wanted to visit a shop that we had little interest in, so I agreed to take the time share tour. But only after getting the initial offer of a $50 gift card raised to $100. We had just come from Santa Fe and had not taken the tour there, but I told them that we had been offered $75 for the tour there. We were on time, but had to wait about 10 min. for the tour to start. So while I waited, I helped myself to several of the fancy tea bags there. The tour began with a tour of a unit that was exactly like the one we were staying in, so that was a waste of time. Then after talking some more, we were taken to see the new "upgraded" units. Other that the larger balconies with tables and a 2nd bedroom that wasn't a studio unit (lock-off) that had it's own jacuzzi tub, I wasn't that impressed. I really couldn't see why I would want another setting room (like a den with a TV) when on vacation - unless that room was being used with a sofa bed instead of (or in addition to) the main living room. I do wonder if the "tour" would have ended sooner if I had told them that I was completely uninterested in adding time. I did say that I was willing to listen to their offer. But the 90 min. tour actually lasted closer to 120 min. And it took a while for them to actually come up with the offer. When we declined, they "found paperwork" that allowed them to offer us the same thing for about 1/2 of the original offer. We still declined as we already own more time than we are currently using.

We attended 3 programs at the resort. The "critter" program was highly informative. It was held in the morning and worked into our time schedule. We were introduced to a scorpion, a tarantula, and a snake. We also attended 2 evening programs. The Indian flute maker was very good. He talked about the instruments and played them. He was also selling a class and his wife sold jewelry, but there was no pressure to buy anything. We also attended at talk about vortexes. It was just ok, but I didn't think that it was entirely appropriate to pass the hat after that.

I received good advice and help from the conciere desk. It may have been Niki (but not sure) who recommended a Mexican resturant that we enjoyed - Casa Bonita. There was even a coupon available on most of our Safeway receipts. The food was good. The decorations were very nice and the prices were reasonable. She also told us about a couple of other resturants that had good views of the Red Rocks, but told us that they were more pricy. When I wanted to book a ride on the Verde Valley Rail Road, they tried to talk me into letting them book for me even though my AA discount was not available through them (about a $5/pp savings), but I declined. When I found that my cell phone was not working there and I asked about a pay phone, they dialed the number for me and let me talk directly to the rail road to book our trip.

• Liked — View of the red rocks from our balcony
  • Disliked — a
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We experienced the same terrible timeshare tour pressure as all the other TripAdvisor members have referred to. Too bad we did not read the posts prior to our trip. At other resorts we trust the consierge desk as a friendly service providing genuine assitance to it's guests (we also tip them a great deal for this!). At the Sedona Summit, the consierge desk is really the timeshare tour staff. They begin by acting like they are helping you and then comes the "pitch" to attend a timeshare tour. If you complete the tour there is some sort of reward like a $50 credit card or a discount on an area activity, i.e. $90 toward a jeep ride, etc. But beware, once you attend you can never get away from them. They call you at your room over and over. if you do not respond then they call you with some sort of made up emergency to get to to come back to the consierge desk. Our "made up" emergency was that there was something wrong with our reservation. Once we arrived they started to pitch us again...giving us a better deal. The never really referred to the "so-called" reservation problem until we brought it up to them. In reality there never was one ! This took time away from our vacation. Once they knew we would never ever buy from them they became rude and angry. They even made us feel guilty for taking the gift card. (something they were glad to give away merely 30 minutes before the tour). The consierge, the lobby staff, the arts and crafts girl and even the guest speaker on Arizona animals pitched us a taking a tour. We ended up not even wanting to have eye contact with ANY staff from that point on. Terrible terrible terrible way to run a resort. Oh yeah...the rooms were just mediocre and the pools were small and dirty (we saw the same bandaid at the bottom of the pool all week...yuk). The maid service we requested never happened and we had to take supplies from a maid's closet in order to get by. No restaurant onsite...no store...no activities for kids except arts and crafts next to pool. We did not even want to get a cup of coffee since this was a hang out for the timeshare staff !!!!!

• Liked — Great view but in Sedona everyone has a good view
  • Disliked — Timeshare tour pressure
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed in a studio for six nights, and the experience was pretty similar to other recent reviews. While I didn't run into any of the sales pitches for their time-share, it did take 40 minutes to check in as they did the whole "room isn't ready yet" rigamaroll (even though I arrived at 4:30pm). It's pretty clear to me that they are time-share first, hotel services second. The property itself is okay, and the room is equivilent to a Residence Inn (IMO), but perhaps just a bit more tired. I did find trash that had not been picked up outside of the rooms, and I didn't receive maid service once during the entire time (although was told that they would be in Thursday that week). That said, anything I needed (soap, extra shampoo, paper towels, etc...), and the front desk staff was helpful. You can get high speed by the lobby, but not in the rooms. All in all, it wasn't a bad experieince, but not great either. $115/night would be about the max I'd look to pay for this room.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Exchanged with RCI. As stated by other reviewers, we were placed in the "standard" rooms which need remodeling. They told us that RCI decides which units you stay in but this is not true. The resort makes that decision. We had a total of 16 family members go on vacation in Sedona and we traded into Sedona Summit. We had three one bedrooms and two studios. All of the units are understocked as far as kitchen supplies. Hardly any pots to cook in, no pot holders at all. Studio units are small and really only good for 2 people where they say 4 people can stay. Can't cook in these units as there is no stove, just a microwave that is suppose to also be a convection oven. The best thing about this resort is the towels, they are nice and we were able to get our own supply as the stock room next to our unit was open the entire time we were there. I knew from reading the reviews not to do a tour so I was able to get out of that but they did call our units trying to set this up until they finally gave up. The new pool is nice but gets crowded. Hardly any units have a view. We overlooked the parking lot. We really just used the unit as a home base and traveled out to various sites anyway. I would not go back to the Summit unless I knew I would be in one of the newer units. We also had no cell phone usage as the signal is very weak in our units. They charge 50 cents for local calls which is crazy. We did not bother to go to the lobby often. When I checked in they were not very friendly or helpful.

• Liked — The towels in the units.
  • Disliked — No kitchen supplies!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New England, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Having spent a week at Sedona Summit through an RCI exchange I have some positive and negative remarks about the resort. I requested a room with a view and one of the newer, more updated suites. The request for the view was honored; however, I was told that all newer suites were unavailable. I asked to be put on a wait list and contacted if any opened throughout the week, but never heard back from the front desk. The concierge, as I had read on Trip Advisor would be pushy. I did not experience this. I very clearly told them I had the whole week planned already and would not be attending their “complimentary breakfast” and it was left at that. They never bothered us again. The room itself, although somewhat outdated and not exactly shiny and new was very nice. I liked the feeling of having our own little secluded corner tucked away, and the view was breathtaking.

Having said this, the front desk at Sedona Summit was very unaccommodating. I would not say they were outright rude, but I would say that they simply did not care about making their guests feel welcome or comfortable. Housekeeping came twice during the seven day stay (on a Tuesday, again on Wednesday then never again). This did not bother me too much, as we were promptly given extra towels and coffee, etc. after calling the front desk. However, while we did request extra items, they were delivered by knocking on the door once then opening the door. We had no time to really tell them we were on our way to the door. This really bothered me… my husband at the time was dressing and I was on a phone call with a company for an activity we were taking later in the week. They were not at all apologetic about barging in on us.

The other main issue I have with this resort is the pool scene. I do not like that the one “adult only” pool offered is the smallest of all the pools and the only one without a spa. A spa should be considered for the adults and at all the other “family” pools people let their kids jump in and out of the spas as though they were diving into a pool. This really bothered me. I truly feel that they simply took the crappiest pool and slapped it as “adult only” for the sake of being able to say they have one. Needless to say, we attended the family pools instead. There was always more than enough room, and rarely people there, but like I said when there were people there, children were allowed to jump in and out of the spas with no regard for the fact that they should be for adults (I don’t mean teenagers either, I mean small children).

RCI lists Sedona Summit Resort as a gold crown resort. While the grounds are decent and the rooms nice, I feel the only thing that is gold crown is the fact that it is located in beautiful Sedona. Really, how unhappy can you be when visiting here? However, the staff was unaccommodating and the maintenance was not up to par with gold crown status. I would stay there again though, keeping in mind that while in Sedona your time is better spent outdoors, not within the room of your resort.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sedona Summit Resort? Share your experiences!