“Thumbs up, with caveat” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
Buffalo, New York
“Thumbs up, with caveat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

As one who has worked 30+ years in the travel business (not currently), one might find my research obsessive. So that the fact that I looked at probably every single property in Sedona before selecting The Orchards is close to the truth. Price was a driving factor, though location and reputation also made the choosing difficult. Thanks to many on this site, forums, and other reviews, I finally booked a reasonable room here. The staff was great, the location fabulous. My disappointments were two-fold. We had booked, then received notice we would be upgraded to a fireplace room. On arrival, the A/C in those rooms was not fully functional, so we were "downgraded," in a sense, to the room we originally booked. Okay, not a problem. Except that the rooms no longer really look like the photos on their website. Expect wear and tear, and the view they purport is just not accurate, unless you stand at a certain, unnatural, below lodging level to see the red rocks behind. The pool is far smaller than you would imagine, and is somewhat overgrown now. -- All in all, I recommend it, with these caveats. The front of the place (especially the room doors) could use a new coat of paint, too, but the room itself was just fine. A bargain, compared to the sister property, and the location is hard to beat, unless you want to be near Tlaquepaque.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pool - not nearly as inviting as shown on the website...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Midwest, U.S.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

We just stayed at the Orchard's Inn for 5 days. The location is great since you are close to all the jeep tours, restaurants, uptown shopping, spa, etc. The only problem we had was when I checked in and requested a balcony room. I was informed that since I made the booking through a "third party" (i.e. hotels.com) that she couldn't give me one or a room with a fireplace, either. That was very disappointing to us, but overall it was a great stay and still great views from the patio rooms. If having a balcony and/or fireplace is an important thing to you, book directly with the hotel. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The magnificent views and the convenient location.
  • Disliked — Unable to upgrade to a better room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed for five nights beginning June 15th and loved it! We had a third floor room with private balcony and the most fabulous views of the Red Rocks! The hotel is built into the side of a hillside. I also liked the fact that our room had a double sink in the bathroom, made it real easy to get everyone ready. The a/c was out for the first two days, but even in June it was tolerable as the tempatures were in the 60's in the evenings. The staff did their best to accommodate the a/c outage by bringing us fans that did the trick. The only other negative I have is the refrig should have been colder. If you are looking for a GREAT value with awesome views this is the place! The rooms are larger then most comparable hotels and the hotel staff was very nice and friendly. They even gave us a pass that another guest had left behind to the Grand Canyon, it was valued at $25.00. We will definitely stay at the Orchards Inn in the future. Sunrise is priceless!! We give this place 5+ Stars!!! I've attached a panoramic view from our balcony. The image appears to be smaller then the actual view, the actual view is much closer.

• Liked — The VIEWS!! Comfortable BEDS
  • Disliked — Refrig could be colder
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

This hotel was a total nightmare. Where do I begin-
1st- I have a 9 month old son who was ancy to get down and crawl after a long car ride. I put him on the carpet and discovered that his knees and legs were covered in this black/green dirt. After I washed him off, I noticed that he had a rash all over his face, legs and feet. I felt the carpet, and they were wet. The carpets had just been "cleaned", so please explain why my son had this black/green dirt all over him??
After speaking with the front desk person- who was extremely rude- she had told me that there was only one other room available, and it would be "much more expensive". I could care less about the price, but don't you think that they should have changed our room to a room with dry carpet without forcing us to pay for the change?? Terrible customer service to say the least.
After the front desk person asked me what I expected her to do to help me, I asked her to call my room with a solution. She called back and told me that the other room was no longer available. Not to mention that I walked onto the office while she was on the phone trying to sell that last room to another person.
2nd- The room had an absolutely terrible smell, so bad that we had to leave our door open to air the room out.
3rd- there is no safe, like the brouchure says
4th- this place was just over all a dump- the rooms were extremely out dated. It's kind of like visiting an old crazy aunt's house- miss matched everything.
5th- I do have to say that the view is nice
6th- the pool was nasty, kind of a green film on the bottom. I don't know many parents who would let their kids swim in a green pool.
Needless to say, I will never EVER return to this hotel, not only from the disgustingness of the room, but for the TERRIBLE customer service. This is the worst place I have ever stayed.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Disgusting rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Overland Park, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed at the Orchards Inn 3 nights and had a pleasant stay.
The views were incredible. Probably the best in town.
The only problem was the fireplace timed out after 10 minutes.
That was a bit disappointing, but it was very nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Also, the water pressure in the shower was the strongest I've ever encountered in a hotel.
The location is perfect. Right in the center of the town and you can walk to everything! Highly recommend Orchards!

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The fireplace
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We discovered the Orchards Inn of Sedona from the TripAdvisor forums. I am obsessive about choosing the right hotel - so I checked it out pretty thoroughly. I searched other sites for reviews and actually checked out the hotel on Google Earth to see how the view might look (the location on Google Earth is wrong, puts the hotel to the west of the Y when it's actually to the east). Then, to be sure we were really happy with our stay, I emailed the hotel and mentioned a few concerns I'd seen on these boards....they addressed the concerns by basically saying, it's not a brand new hotel, but it's in good shape, the views are amazing, and it is really how it appears online. They reassured me that all would be well....and they were right!! We easily found the parking lot and never had a problem getting a space. We arrived right at check-in time and had courteous, helpful welcome and the same great service at checkout. Our room was just as I had reserved on the top floor (3rd) with one of the best views of MY LIFE, a nice gas fireplace, a large balcony, comfy beds, well-working clean bathroom, etc. It was DELUXE. We woke up to watch the sunrise and I wished we could have stayed another night.

The hotel staff provided me a 10% discount on the Pink Jeep Tour when I mentioned that we had one booked. We took the Broken Arrow Tour. I have been fortunate to travel to many places, but at one point on the tour I said outloud..."this is the best place I've ever been". FYI, the Pink Jeep Tour place is a block or so down a shop-filled street. We spent the afternoon in the shops - quite a range from beautiful artwork to 'dirt' t-shirts and all sorts of Sedona souveniers.

We had a truly wonderful dinner at the Cowboy Club and the price was actually very reasonable - we had the sampler appetizer with buffalo (YUM!), rattlesnake (ok), and cactus fries (pretty good) and 3 different appetizers that were all fantastic. My son raved about the brie pork chops. Portions were great. The waitress was so friendly and everyone in the place seemed to be enjoying themselves. We walked in on a Fri night at about 7pm and had just a 15 minute wait. We filled it by looking at all the handprints/photos from famous western movie stars.

Love Sedona. We'll be back...and I'd stay at the Orchards Inn, eat at the Cowboy Club and take as many jeep tours and hikes as time would allow.

• Liked — The view, nice & quiet, safe, great location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

We stayed in a room on the second floor for 4 nights. (Be prepared to carry your bags yourself up the stairs. We arrived at 8 p.m. after the reception office had closed.)

The king-sized bed was super comfortable, the pillows were high quality, and we especially appreciated the gas fireplace and mini fridge. Because the hotel is literally built into the hillside, the view from the balcony out over the Oak Creek valley is fantastic. We were able to use the pool and hot tub on the warmer days.

In terms of the ability to walk to shopping and restaurants, the location of this hotel could not be better. I recommend the Cowboy Club across the street for its atmosphere, and the Wildflower Bread Company for affordable breakfasts and lunches.

I loved everything about this hotel - the location, the view, the comfortable bed, and other amenities. It was a great value for the price. I certainly recommend it and would return. No other hotel we stayed at on our Arizona-Nevada trip in that price range even came close.

Our favourite hike was the Bell Rock -Courthouse Butte trail. Don't miss it!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The small, hidden parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Orchards Inn of Sedona? Share your experiences!