“Decent food at elevated prices” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, American, European, Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dan's Bistro is a small friendly Bistro style restaurant with great fish, steak, seafood, pasta's, salads and deserts, all at great prices. Chef Dan is one of Sedona's most popular Chef's both for his cuisine and his personality. Open for Lunch and Dinner.
Freehold, NJ
“Decent food at elevated prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to this restaurant after reading the reviews on trip advisor. The dinner started with the waitress asking if we brought a bottle of wine. We don't drink much, but I had read they charge a corkage fee ($6) so we just stuck with water. The amuse bouche was O.K. A dry cracker with a bit of brie. We then had delicious croissants. I wish I would have eaten them all, as they were the best part of dinner. For dinner I had the veal. It was a bit thin and chewy. Sauce was good (bacon, tomato reduction) but a bit salty for my taste. My fiance got the beef tips bourguinon. It was topped with puff pastry. This dish was good. For dessert we got creme brulee. Honesty, for $8 I expected a little bigger dessert than a standard, small dish. The carmelized sugar on top was too thick. I can make a better creme brulee at home. In retrospect, I would have passed on dessert. Overall, the food was O.K. I don't think I would return for another meal (cost versus ($80) versus food quality was not worth it).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Cannot understand the good reviews for this place!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

We ate dinner tonight at Dan's after reading the reviews here. The was hands down our poorest food experience in Sedona. After we were told by our very nice waiter that all the fish was sold out - we scrambled to find something to eat. We settled on sharing the large chopped salad and I ordered the small mussels. My mom ordered the pasta. The salad dressing options included ranch and thousand island - which screamed "bottled" to me (and the 1980's) and when we recieved ours with balsamic vinaigrette it did indeed taste bottled and not prepared in house. I got my mussles and the sauce was fine - but the mussles were rubbery and overcooked. It was also served with some very garlicky bread - which was overkill with thr garlicky sauce and seemed very 1980's to me. My mother thought that her pasta sauce tasted canned and she picked through it trying to salvage some vegetables. The menu was fussy and overcomplicated - kind of wannabe fine dining. I kept thinking that they need a visit from Gordon Ramsay to give them a radical makeover. The best thing was the croissant they served for dinner rolls - although that too seemed out of place. The service was very friendly and attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

The service was excellent. The prices were very reasonable and the food delicious. This is the only restaurant in Sedona which allows you to bring your own wine (they do not serve alcohol).

I would highly recommend dining at Dan's during your stay in Sedona.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Hidden Secret in Sedona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I decided to go there for lunch. It is larger than it looks from the street and kind of hidden in the corner of a small building with another business.
The menu for lunch is not large but plenty of choices. I had the chicken patty Kefta. I had no idea what it was but it is a ground chicken patty wrapped in Pita bread with lettuce and their special sauce. It was just delicious and answers my question, Is this something I would go back for? Yes.
My wife had the chicken breast salad with Pear, Candied Pecans and Goat cheese. It was excellent. the Chicken was tender and delicious and very fresh lettuce and greens.
Even for lunch they had white tablecloths and very good service. Will return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

On our first evening in Sedona we were having trouble finding a restaurant that had an opening. So we accidently stumbed upon Dan's Bistro! What a wonderful evening we had, the food was top notch, service superb and to top it off you bring your own wine! We enjoyed ourselves so much that we made a point to have our final dinner in Sedona here as well, which again was a wonderful meal. I highly recommend trying the chef's specials you will not be disappointed!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere