“A hidden gem - family run set-up and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 139 Restaurants in Sedona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Family Fare, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Despite the name, Cafe Jose serves good old-fashioned home style cooking. It is a classic American diner which also happens to serve good Mexican food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served all day. Cafe Jose is a favorite spot for local residents. It has won the local award for the past several years for "Best Home Cooking," "Best Breakfast," "Best Family Dining." "Friendliest Wait Staff," and "Best Overall Bargain." The food is not fancy, but it is tasty and served with a smile. The portions are large, but meals are priced to fit anyone's budget.
Aberdeen
“A hidden gem - family run set-up and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We decided to check out Cafe Jose based on fellow TA comments and it was just 500 yards from the Rouge Hotel where we were staying for the week.  It is located in the same mall area as Safeway supermarket and hidden in the very last unit at the very end of the buildings before you exit the car park.
Our first visit and we were not disappointed.  The server was very nice and helpful when it came to explaining how the menu worked.  We had breakfast on the first visit and opted for the Basic (potato choice (home style potato or hash browns) and eggs) + your added selection like pancakes or bacon, links etc.
The food was delicious.  Every dish was served perfectly cooked and presented.
The hash brown portion covered a half side of the breakfast plate and the home style potatoes were red/brown in colour and when I saw them I though, wow these are going to have a little kick to them - but they didn't unfortunately.  However, they were really tasty and plentiful and I still loved them.
The real killer for me was the biscuits and gravy.  I hadn't had these since arriving in America and I thought I was hungry enough to manage them - boy was I wrong.  The biscuits served were pre-sliced and the 4 halves covered a large oval dinner plate, covered in a thick, smooth, spicy, creamy gravy topped with fresh cooked button mushrooms.
I managed to eat 3 and a bit biscuits and all the gravy and they were good, if not a wee bit too hard.   But if I had known they were going to be so large I would have had second thoughts about ordering them as I probably wasn't just quite that hungry.
Strangely, it was the only restaurant we have ever visited in America that we had to keep requesting a refill.  I love to have a continuous stream of fresh hot coffee at breakfast time and this was the only negative observation I had about the cafe.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Visited September 2013

June Lake, CA
“I can see why they are so loved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

After hours on the road we found Cafe Jose by accident, but so glad we did. Quick, friendly staff were accommodating and made a substitution for me. The tostada salad was superb! Beans, rice were of excellent quality, simple, tasty and hot. The guacamole was to die for, love the tons of fresh tomatoes. Impressed with the advertising table tops that allowed us to see what is available in Sedona when this was our first trip - great idea.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
arizona
“fair to good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Cafe Jose a couple times for breakfast one time the food and service was excellent. The food was out so fast we thought they brought us someone else. The second time the service was slow and the food was just fair. We had the same breakfast each time so maybe different cook the second time.

Visited October 2013
san diego,ca
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We eat breakfast and lunches here several times each year on our annual weeks stay. Food is great. Servers Jesse and Rufino are wonderful. Owners make sure quailty is stays top notch and service is the same.
Look forward to a few more meals this week before refining home.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
indiana
“Eat local... Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Very fast service, good mix of American and Mexican food for fair price. Geared more to locals. Tourists welcome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere