“Super fun open and challenging hike!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 Attractions in Sedona
Type: Geologic Formations, Outdoors
Phoenix, AZ
5 attraction reviews
“Super fun open and challenging hike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Hiked this on Saturday, October 3 in the early afternoon. Was able to find a parking spot, even though it was the weekend. You have to hike flat for a while before you start ascending the "bell." The trail markers become harder to find as you start to ascend and we were definitely off the trail for parts of the hike. We had to use our hands a lot on the steep parts, but it was just dry rock, so not a big deal. The view is great as you start to ascend and there's some fun people/family watching to do in you want to find a spot in the shade and watch hikers climb by.

• Polish first
pa
97 attraction reviews
“beautiful hike, great for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stopped at the Red Rock S P visitor center coming North from Cottonwood. The worker there told us our National Park pass would be OK and we didn't need to buy a RRock pass as it is also part of the (forgive me if I have the wrong forest we went through many) Coconino Nat'l Forest. I would definitely stop here for advice and they gave us a handy photocopied guide map with some of the local attractions on it. As we were traveling to many other places on our trip and really only had one full day in Sedona, we thought we would play it by ear (and GPS) for hiking/ attraction advice. We surely would not have seen all that we wanted to see without the help of this v center and map. From this map we stopped at Bell Rock and did our first hike in the Southwest. It was a Saturday, and there were a number of hikers and bikers we passed on the trail but we were usually not within view of other groups except when passing so it didn't feel crowded although both parking lots were almost full by 10 am when we arrived. We saw a gopher snake(which looks similar to a rattlesnake but without rattles) slowly cross the path directly in front of us and what I think were roadrunners in the shrubs. The hiking trail is obvious and wide and relatively flat. After a while, we decided to climb a bit on bell rock itself. It is fairly easy to scramble up if you don't have physical limitations. Remember of course that if you are reaching to go up you will need to jump to go down. It was even more breathtaking a bit higher up with the breeze tugging at our hats. We did see cairns of rock which I suppose indicate where some people have experienced a vortex. While it was breathtakingly beautiful and the hike was both relaxing and fun, I couldn't vouch for a vortex experience. Very worthwhile and fairly easy hike.

Louisville, KY
19 attraction reviews
“BEAUTIFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Ok, so I wasn't planning on climbing it. I intended to just walk around on the lower path and take some cool pictures. Then my husband kept climbing up higher and higher...
This is not a hard rock to climb. Plenty of toe and hand hold on the higher parts. I'm not at all athletic and I made it to the top. Took 2 hours round trip.
Take water and wear sneakers and be careful. That's it. Enjoy!

Las Vegas, Nevada
7 attraction reviews
“Awesome Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

Around January my kids (11 and 13 yr old.) and I took the hike up to Bell Rock. It was fairly easy until you actually start climbing up the rock of course. The views are so beautiful. My kids took an unbeaten path up the rock as we didn't see any trail markers initially.

We climbed up until we were able to see a great panaramic view, which doesn't take long at all. I was a little afraid to take the kids further up, although they were all for it. We were climbing on all fours on the way up and sliding on our rears on the way down, not bad though. We had backpacks, so there were times we had to take our packs off to climb up a few areas. During that time, there was still ice on the rock, which made it a little more difficult than normal I'm sure.

We were so caught up in the hike we lost a few items we had, gloves, sunglasses. Definitely keep an eye on the kids, it's a "climb at your own risk" place for sure. We had a memorable time!

Somerset, KY
“Bell Rock Trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

Excellent views and easy to moderate hike. To see the pictures we took go to: [-]

Been to Bell Rock? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bell Rock, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.