“A Wonderful Respite in Sedona” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Capture the Color
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Sedona
New Jersey
“A Wonderful Respite in Sedona”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

My 75 y o mother, 17 y o son, 14 y o daughter and I stayed here the 2nd night of a 7 night road trip through AZ, NV and on to LA. We were greeted very graciously by several folks at the front desk and Scott, the manager. They provided a shuttle to our Pink Jeep Tour, reservations at a cantina for a wonderful Mexican meal and directions to Slide Rock State Park and Flagstaff, en route to the Grand Canyon.

Our creekside cottage (#15) faced a very still portion of the creek and the water was low. However, a short walk down the creek in our spa robes in the morning provided more water movement (prettier) and lots of adorable ducks. The restaurant's al fresco setting is lovely. I had anticipated that all of the creekside cottages had the ambiance that the restaurant's outdoor dining area does; in fact, some of the cottages face other cottages or the less lively portion of the creek. I made clear at check-in that I wanted a cottage that faced the creek and #15 does, so I am grateful we had that view.

We had scones and coffee in the morning in the lobby and watched the duck feeding at 8 a/m.

I found the staff VERY eager to please, hospitable and warm. I cannot believe I stayed on the same property as some of the guests on this site with such negative reviews. I travel a great deal for business and pleasure and found this property to have understated elegance. It's not a Four Seasons. It's not opulent. It's in the woods, surrounded by beautiful mountains of red rock and centrally located to all that is Sedona. It is relaxed, yet has attentive staff. After staying in "nothing special" hotels, I think most people visiting Sedona would really enjoy this very convenient, quiet, elegant little oasis. Our cottage was comfortable for 4, with a queen sleep sofa and king size bed. Think cabin more than cottage and Jackson Hole more than Scottsdale and I think your expectations will be more on target. Enjoy!

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Polish first
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

If you are looking for a place to enjoy a world class luxury inn among the most spectacular beauty that nature has to offer this is a great choice.
The staff is well trained and the amenities are well thought out. The location on Oak Creek is perfect for adults who want to relax and get away from the daily grind. We will return.!

• Liked — Beautiful natural setting
  • Disliked — se
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Del Mar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

We just returned from Sedona and our stay at L'Auberge, and I have to say once again I wish I had read the reviews first. What I reallly don't understand is how anyone can rate this five stars (Excellent) If were using this site, it's to get honest feedback on the good the bad and the ugly, and this place is all ugly. First, the rooms are old and tired, and the bed and pillows need to be changed. I opened the mini bar and it was empty. I thought it just had not been stocked by room service and called the front desk, and they told me it was there in case we wanted to go shopping and put things in it, uhhh I don't want to go shopping, I'm paying a lot of money to have things brought to me. We booked a creek side cottage and one previous review here indicated homes across the creek, and that is true. I was surprised to find the creek was only approx. 40' wide at the most, and right on the other side are private homes. During our stay from Thursday-Sunday there were large family groups with kids and dogs all having fun, which I'm not against, but I don't want to pay a bucket of money to share my space with the neighbors. All of the cottages look at each other in some way, so no matter what you book you will not have toatl privacy. Now the creek is not like right out the door, it's down a slope with steps that everyone can use, so to be honest I'm not sure I would even pay for the creek side cottage, it's misleading a bit.

There is no pool. How can you have a hotel in AZ and have no pool????? they tell you to use the pool at a sister property next door. Okay let me give you the lay of the land. The hotel is at the bottom of a large ravine that you drive down to. The sister property is way at the top on the main road, to get there you either drive up or you can hike up a very long and steep path. The sister hotel is an old Best Western they changed the name on and the pool is so small that you may be able to get 20 people in there at best, bottom line is your not going bother. The spa was a joke, don't waste your money or time. The restaurant is in the middle of the property on the creek, with the creek side cottages on both sides going down the creek. The other side from where we were staying had the cottages further away from the creek and had a grass lawn in front of th creek side cottages. I'm telling you this because if you stay in these creek side cottages this is where they have all of the functions, weddings, meetings, events and so on, I don't think you want to pay a lot of money to have events taking place right out front of your room.

The restaurant, was really bad. The first night we stayed here we went to the restaurant for dinner. The setting on the creek is very nice but that changes quick when your swatting flies away and being eaten alive by mosquitos. I remeber looking over at a woman at the table next to us and she had flies all over her back and in her hair, gross. We ordered a really nice bottle of wine right away, it never showed up, by the time our apetizers were done and had reminded the waiter twice about our wine, we just told him not to bother. The service and quality is very low.

If your thinking about room service here you may think twice, as the room service menu is one page and only offers a few choices and I really do mean like two or three items to eat and drinks.

There are a lot of other things I could tell you, but the bottom line is I just would not in any way tell a fellow traveler to stay here. Sedona is great and there are a lot of fun things to do here, you may even want to take a drive to the Grand Canyon, about two hours away. Other restaurants to eat at and highly recommended are El Portal, which is part of a small Inn, and Rene which is also outstanding.

I hope this review will help you. All the best.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Food, service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

We had our wedding at L'Auberge in mid-June.

Couple things to note, unlike some other hotels, they nickel and dime you for every single thing. Staff was good to work with according to my now wife and our wedding planner. We had approximately 120 guests attend. Keep in mind, even if you do lay everything out in writing, be sure it's executed... more below. We laughed at all the oddball things that happened on our wedding day, but afterwards we decided to share our experience.

The setting of the hotel is great, staff in general was very polite and responsive. Keep in mind though, no tips at the resort, they just charge an extra 20% each day of your stay. I personally have an issue with that. I tip for good service and do not tip for poor service. I like having that discretion and it works next door just dine for the Amara Resort where I have always received superlative service.

Restaurant is good but the menu is limited. Having lived overseas and traveled extensively, all I can say is that I didn't like the menu at the hotel and generally ate next door at the Amara Resort. Great menu. The food at L'Auberge is French/Euro. Not my favorite cuisine. Had it, don’t' like it. Food for the reception though was great.

We ran into what I consider some fairly major issues when you take into account the 4 diamond rating of this hotel and the amount of money spent.

1) We did not have hot water for 2 days in the hotel. My wife the day of the ceremony had to shower somewhere else. No one at the front desk or in management seemed to know what was going on and we spoke to the same person more than once.

2) A couple of individuals in the front desk staff were rude and incompetent, specifically the blonde European woman.

3) Outside the ballroom is a grassy area where we had our cocktail hour after the ceremony. According to the hotel, they have had over 5000 weddings there. I wonder if these other ceremonies had their guests doused by the sprinklers 30 minutes into cocktail hour. Thanks to the fleet feet of a server and a few guests who stood on the sprinklers until they were shut off, we were able to prevent most of our gusts from being completely drenched.

4) There were supposed to be 2 bars during the cocktail hour and reception... there was only 1. So at times 15 people were waiting for a drink.

5) My father-in-law specifically requested premium liquor and many different kinds... Johnny Black, Ketel One, Bombay, Anejo etc... instead we were given Tanqueray, Smirnoff and standard Jose Cuervo.

6) The white wine wasn't chilled at all. It was warm and the bartenders didn't seem to understand the concept so our guests ended up putting ice in the wine.

7) They ran into tonic before the reception started and it took 30 minutes to get more tonic. As the groom, I finally had a chance to sit down, slow down and have a drink... and they didn't even have tonic.

8) Blonde front desk employee missed wakeup calls.

9) We moved from a room in the lodge to one of the creekside cabins. Simple move... yet they somehow they mixed our bags up with the in-laws who were staying at a neighboring cabin and it took about 2 hours to finally resolve.

The hotel did make an attempt to compensate us by comping our stay in the cabins, being super-responsive, champagne in the room. We did appreciate it but in the end, problems happened consistently the rest of our stay that negated any effort they made. We heard excuses about new management etc... While we can be sympathetic to a degree, in the end I could care less. We were there to relax and enjoy some time after the wedding. The last thing we wanted to do was listen to and deal with their problems.

In the coming months the Amara Resort next door will be completing a new area for weddings so they can accommodate up to 160 people... current capacity is 80. Setting is great, rooms are great (albeit simple), restaurant, bar and staff are excellent. Once that is complete, L'Auberge had better step their game up or they are going to lose a lot of their wedding business.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — The fact that they just couldn't get it right
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

My husband recently stayed at LAuberge for 2 nights. It was ok, but definitely not a 500+ dollar per night property. We had booked a creekside cottage and were pretty disappointed with the one they put us in. The view was of the neighbors front porch and the creek was off to the side. The area of the creek was full of stagnant water. The cottage itself looked very dated and worn. The bed was soooo bad that my husband and I both woke up with backaches. The next day we asked to be moved to a different cottage. The woman at the front desk was nothing short of RUDE!! Also when we initially checked in the woman at the front desk was RUDE! Very unimpressed with their conduct. However, we took our complaint up with the manager. I think his name was Scott. He was really nice and wanted to help. He moved us to a creekside cottage that was very nice, private and a wonderful view of the creek with flowing water. It was his actions that salvaged our trip. The manager was very accomodating and is definitely an asset to a property that has some serious flaws. We had hot stone massages at the spa. The spa is very small and intimate. It was too small and the locker rooms were just bathrooms. Not even a steam room. Therapists were below average and the massages were not very good. Trust me on this one as I am an avid spa goer and love my massages. If you want an incredible hot stone massage while in Sedona go to Mii Amo spa at Enchantment. Their therapists are awesome. The best hot stone massage Ive ever had. Dont stay at Enchantment though because it is AWEFUL! OK back to L'Auberge- The restaurant is in a lovely setting by the creek. The food is very average and overpriced, plus the service is below average. The location is the only plus. Another complaint we had is that the grounds creekside are not maintained well. Lots of trash , such as wine glasses and newspapers which were never picked up. So L'Auberge defintely has some problems and we dont know if we would return. We also stayed at the Grand Adobe Villas which were wonderful and thats probably the property we would book for a future trip.

• Liked — not sure
  • Disliked — rude front desk women
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

Slow service
Cold food
Not something one would expect of a fine dining establishment.

Been to L'Auberge de Sedona? Share your experiences!