“Gorgeous location, service lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Spa and Breakfast Package
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Sedona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport Beach, CA
“Gorgeous location, service lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I spent a three day weekend at L'Auberge Sedona for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Since we were in AZ for my grandmother's 80th birthday party, I thought staying at L'Auberge would be a great way to enjoy our anniversary and be just a short drive away from the birthday festivities in northern AZ. I am glad we stayed at L'Auberge, and I will discuss all of the positives first.

The grounds are gorgeous! It felt like you were in a magical forest, away from the world. The green grass, the sound of the creek, the red rocks- it was perfect! We stayed in a cottage room with a garden view and loved the cute little cottage. Next time, I will book the creek view cottage, as the rooms have huge patios and overlook the creek.

Before our stay, I contacted the Romance Concierge, Nicole, who helped me in planning a sipnic (picnic lunch) and a rose petal turn down service for the day of our anniversary to surprise my husband. I highly recommend both if you are coming to celebrate an anniversary. The picnic was delivered to our room at the specified time in a small backpack. We took this picnic down near the creek and sat at the small table and chairs in the grass, and enjoyed the delicious lunch. While we were at dinner, our room was decorated with rose petal and tea lights. When we came home, the scene was lovely!

Although the natural beauty of the resort area is stunning, the overall service is lacking. Since it is a no tipping resort, staff has no motivation or desire to help. I would much rather tip and experience good service, than not tip and have nothing. Nearly everyone we encountered seemed indifferent, aloof, uninterested. My husband and I are both relaxed, easy-going people, so we were not bothered by it until the very end of our stay when we had a major issue that was poorly handled.

I left two Tiffany’s pouches filled with my jewelry (2 rings, 2 necklaces, and a pair of earrings) in the room safe and did not realize it until we arrived back home in Newport Beach the next day. As soon as I could not find my jewelry and knew that I had left it in the safe, I called the resort in a panic. I spoke with two different people at L’Auberge several times (never talking to a manager) and got two very different stories about the maid checking the safe and my jewelry was not there, engineering checking the safe and the jewelry was not there, and that they would check with the laundry service. I emailed the hotel manager, along with several other people at the hotel, hoping that if more people were aware of the situation, the better the outcome may be. Thank goodness I finally got a call from sweet Nicole saying that they had indeed found my jewelry in the safe. The call was more than 24 hours after my first call to the hotel, and I was completely thrilled and shocked at the same time, since I had been told it was not in the safe. The hotel manager finally emailed me that day also saying that the jewelry had been found, but I think he should have contacted me much earlier. Perhaps I would have gotten a straight story instead of several different conflicting ones that just alarmed me more. Thank goodness for the happy ending!

Communication and quality service seems to be the areas that are most lacking at L’Auberge. Besides the miscommunication in the jewelry ordeal, a lot of little things made me question L’Auberge as a 4 and a half star resort. At the valet stand, we arrived home to pouring rain Saturday night and had to wait for the valet to appear. When he finally did arrive to park our car he apologized for being out of umbrellas. I do not mind getting wet, but from the valet to our room was quite a walk, and in wedge heels in an inch of water, unsafe. Service at the restaurant was poor, especially the Sunday brunch on the creek. At dinner, both of our halibut dishes were undercooked, and mine so much that I could not eat more than a bite. Check-in was a little bit awkward and we did not feel welcomed as you should at a nicer resort. The people who worked at the hotel seemed aloof, indifferent, and uninterested.

A few more random notes...Room service breakfast was phenomenal! The pillows were awful neck breakers- bring your own if you can. The bed was not very comfortable. The outdoor shower was neat! A cottage room is the way to go. If you can get a discounted rate, I would go for it, but if your room costs more than $500+ it is just not worth it due to the poor service.

In all, the natural beauty of the hotel was heavenly, and it was a nice surprise. The photos on Trip Advisor do not do the hotel justice. I may go back to L’Auberge knowing what to expect next time- a gorgeous place with lacking service. I will also remember to check the safe before leaving!

Room Tip: Get a cottage room overlooking the creek!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We appreciate you writing this review of your stay and post stay experience with L’Auberge. First, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us including your sipnic by the creek. We apologize for the stress that was caused following your stay while you waited to hear about your jewelry. While we are thrilled that everything was found and returned, we will be looking at our lines of communication when it comes to these matters. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly. Jesse Alexander, General Manager 928-204-4313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Polish first
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I fell in love with Sedona. We expected to have a great time but the hotel was an added bonus to the beautiful senery. First, I was so impressed with the staff. I don't care if you spoke to a valet or a manager, everyone loved their job. The customer service is on the level of a 5 star hotel. All the ameneties and little touches make this location the place to be in such a magical town. We did not use the spa and unfortunately we were unable to eat at the restaurant because we did not make reservations (which is a must!) but we did sit in the bar and found the guests and staff friendly and able to offer us what we could have eaten at any of the restaurants (another great tip). We stayed in the lodge which was very quiet - I never saw another person or heard anyone. Next time I would try the cottages. The location was a little hard to find, we had to stop and ask directions because my googlemaps was sending us all around. I am an avid reviewer for tripadvisor and a follower of those strong reviews and I cannot say enough about this resort.

Room Tip: Be sure to use the valet service to the shopping - then you do not have to find parking. Also, you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Sedona is a magical place, thank you for spreading the word! We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your L’Auberge experience. We hope you plan to return to enjoy the restaurant on the creek and the spa, we’d be happy to help with arrangements prior to your arrival.
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent place to stay. Not a large resort but very nice place to get away. Staff was unbelievable, from the minute we arrived until we were OTD. Almost too nice and helpful. Don't call too far ahead to Valet for your car unless you want it too be lonely waiting for you. We could literally put down the phone and run to the Valet stand and our car would already be there! They would have fresh water bottles for us in cup holders as well. It was great. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Loved the outdoor shower. Pool is small but nice. If you are looking for a resort with a waterpark, L'Auberge isn't for you. If you just want to relax in the sun its perfect. Dining by the creek was excellent.

Highly recommend and will be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
First, we love your TripAdvisor profile photo! Thank you for your review of our property. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and our amazing staff. We look forward to welcoming you back…and maybe set up a little race with the valet!
SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

First thing you notice at this luxury place is the no tipping strategy, of course tips will be involuntary included in your bill, but it removes the pressure from you and keeps the establishment at a luxury level.
The place is wonderful, the cottages are very clean from inside and out. Sleeping experience is very comfortable. Beds mattresses and pillows are high grade.
Food at their 4 diamond restaurant is good but does not deserve all those diamonds! especially when it comes to service

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Service is very important to us and we want you to experience a genuine service, so we are happy to hear that you enjoy our policy. Thank you for your kind review!
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at L'Auberge this spring. It is a gem of a resort. It is so picturesque, it is other worldly. Our room overlooked a bubbling mountain stream. The sunlight streamed through the trees. The sound of the stream was intoxicating....there was an outdoor shower open to the sky with a view of the red rocks and the mountains. The restaurant was on the side of the stream and had delicious food. The service at both the hotel and the restaurant was impeccable. Both the restaurant and the hotel are very romantic with a relaxed atmosphere. Overall a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the stream.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We greatly appreciate your review and are very happy that you enjoyed your time at L’Auberge. Romance and relaxation are what we strive to give to our guests, glad to hear you were able to experience both!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked this hotel for a quick weekend stay and the hotel exceeded our expectations. We stayed in a Vista Suites and I would highly recommend it. The views of the red rocks were almost as amazing as the outdoor shower! Although the large Jacuzzi tubs with red rock views was also pretty great. Service throughout the property was warm, sincere and unobtrusive. The highlight of our stay had to have been the creek side dinner on our last night. Well done, we will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
We are thrilled that you were able to experience Sedona’s best of both worlds…red rock view from your room and creekside dinner! Thank you for your glowing review and we’ll see you when you return!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

my daughter travels to Sedona on business a few times a year. This year, I, her mom, accompanied her. We had lunch here and it was pure heaven. My salad was a bibb lettuce and radish salad w/ pecans...a very light, milky, sweet/sour vinegarette dressing. to DIE for...wonder if I could get the recipe....??? Please ??? Pretty please ??

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your reveiw, we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us! Below is the recipe for the dressing, we'll also post on our Facebook page in case it doesn't show correctly in this format. We hope to see you again!

Sherry Dressing
Serving for 4 people

Crème fraiche – 9oz
Mayonnaise – 6oz
Smokey Blue cheese - .5 cup
Sherry reduction - .5 cup
Hazelnut oil – to taste (2oz)
Sugar – to taste (2oz)
Salt and white pepper – to taste

Start blending the first three and sugar together, slowly add the sherry reduction then the hazelnut oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

If you don’t have crème fraiche you can use sour cream with lemon juice.

The sherry reduction, is sherry wine (any kind) reduced by half.

Been to L'Auberge de Sedona? Share your experiences!