“Mediocre” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #100 of 164 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Spokane, Washington
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Indian cuisine is my favorite. So I was excited to find an Indian restaurant in Sedona. When I asked for medium spicy, the waiter asked if I really wanted medium as, according to him, it was blazing hot. I said that, yes, I wanted medium. I always get medium at Indian restaurants.

The food was so bland it was hard to tell it had any hot spice at all. Either India Palace has abandoned spices in hopes of pleasing the American palate, or the waiter or chef did not believe me when I said I like medium.

I ordered aloo gobi, one of my favorites, which usually comes in a sauce that you can mix with the rice for flavor, but this had no sauce at all, so that I had to eat the bland food with dry, flavorless rice.

There was nothing wrong with the nan bread.

I give it three stars because even mediocre Indian food is better than good American food, but if I was rating it compared to other Indian restaurants, I would give it zero stars and an "unacceptable" rating. Avoid this restaurant and eat Mexican food while in Sedona.

Visited January 2013

Virginia, USA
“Loooong wait and good food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went to this restaurant on Christmas day when visiting Sedona. We all like Indian food so chose this restaurant. It was pretty full but we were sitted in 15 minutes and our order was taken. The waiting then began. Apparently they had only one cook and it finally took 1 hour and 20 minutes to get the food. We were about to leave and other people left as well. It is really bad that they didn't think to let people know of the expected wait. The food was good when it finally arrived but the whole experience was not good.

Visited December 2012
Corona, California
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We dined here on Friday 12/28/12, a busy day when the restaurant was full to capacity, but the food was worth the normal wait expected on such a busy night. Being vegetarians we were delighted with the freshness and quality (not too oily, balanced spiced) of the vegetarian items ordered. The owner (a doctor) participated in serving at all tables and make the guests welcome. Would definitely recommend...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sedona
“Used to be great Indian food- now it's just so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Prior to the change of ownership- this place rocked. The food oozed authenticity, and the service was amazing. Nowadays, the food is much less authentic- the spice has been dumbed down- and the service is just so-so. There are better choices in Sedona.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sunnyvale, California
“Pathetic Service, totally dysfunctional”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This has to be one of the worst experiences at any restaurant ever. The restaurant opens for dinner at 5pm and 2 of us walked in around 5:25 with only three other tables occupied. We are promptly seated with menus given. Then basically the wait starts. We are sitting right infront of the place where the hostess usually is but nobody even serves water. Then finally after 15 minutes of waiting when I ask for some water from some waiter who is just rushing through, he comes with a jug and asks how many glasses of water do I want. It seemed funny that on a table of two people, the waiter is asking how many glasses of water we want.

Apparently, the wait is not over yet. After another 10 minutes of wait, I walk up to the host (owner I guess?) and ask if anyone will come to take our order. He says the restaurant is really busy and that's why the delay. No apologies etc. Well eventually the waiter shows up to take our order but nothing in vegetarian dishes that we want to order is available in the restaurant. They are out of most of the veg dishes. We decide to walk out and again no apologies by anyone.

I saw another couple get frustrated and leave because nobody showed up on their table either.

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced at any restaurant. Also, if a restaurant is out of dishes at 5:45 pm when they open for dinner at 5:00 pm, I wonder why they even opened for dinner. Lastly, its astonishing that they are out of dishes. I thought restaurants prepare dishes to order and not have everything prepared a day in advance and just heat and serve as people come in.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Been to India Palace? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage India Palace, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.