“Good experience... once you're there” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 153 Activities in Sedona
Type: Hiking Trails, Sports
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: An easy hiking trail that leads hikers into Sedona's famed Red Rock country.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
13 attraction reviews
“Good experience... once you're there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Getting to and walking on to Devil's Bridge were two completely different experiences for me. I'll start with the latter.

The hike up to Devil's Bridge was pretty easy for me (perhaps moderate for those who are not comfortable walking on/around uneven terrain and rocks). Unfortunately because I was so focused on looking down at where I was stepping, I completely missed the rock "point" (not cairn) that directs you to the left onto the bridge. So I ended up walking about 10 minutes up some path that I eventually figured out was wrong. Oops. At least I got a little extra exercise. I made my way back and found the bridge. The bridge itself is pretty cool. You wonder how something that has no middle support can be sturdy but it is. Looking out at the rocks and even down from the bridge are photo-worthy. If you're at the end of the bridge and look down to the right, you'll see a "platform" on which people can stand to look up to you. This stop can be made before/after you go the bridge. I decided to stop there afterwards since it was on my way back. Again, great views of the bridge from a lower angle.

Now getting to Devil's Bridge was another story. Driving down Dry Creek Road, I thought I'd see a nice big sign saying "turn right" or "Devil's Bridge this way". Nope. I first ended up driving on Lost Canyon Road to Seven Corners where a nice man told me that I had gone too far. He instructed me on where to turn. I backtracked and found my way to the frontage road that took me to the parking lot. This is where I had to make a decision: park in the lot or take my rented Chevy Captiva SUV down the road. So I drove the mile or so past a few hikers all the way to the small parking area where you can drive no more. Even though I had the comforts of a radio and AC, this is an extremely bumpy, rocky road to drive on... even with an SUV. I didn't keep track of it on my way to the bridge, but on the way back it probably took me about 20 minutes to drive 5mph back up that road. I was fortunate that I didn't get stuck in a rut, that the tires didn't blow and that I didn't severely damage the underbody of the vehicle (at least, I don't think I did). If you decide to drive down this road, you definitely want a 4x4 high clearance vehicle (as listed on the sign right at the start of the road). If you decide to walk down this road, have really good hiking shoes, bring lots of water and allow time for the extra 2+ miles.

Manasquan, New Jersey
20 attraction reviews
“This was one of the coolest places we've been”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

And we've been to a lot. You hike up to a natural bridge, tucked in next to a mountain, not visible from any settled place. Most people walk out onto the bridge, which has a flat top, and an arched underside as if it was built by man, but it's completely natural. Not the only such place in America (I was at one in Kentucky), but the scenery is among the most amazing you will see anywhere, and the pictures do it no justice. If you walk out on the bridge, make sure it is not a very windy day, as you don't want to get blown off, to fall the hundreds of feet to the valley below. But, otherwise it's safe, and everyone up there went out on the bridge for photos, no matter how hesitant they might have been on arrival. There are no railings or signs of any signs of any kind. It's just pure nature. And no one can charge you a dime to go. Don't go to Sedona without going to Devil's Bridge

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The day we hiked it was 110 degrees! We parked in the parking lot and walked the 1.5 mile trail to the trail head. Next time we will definitely rent a jeep to drive to trail head. Once at the trail head it was all uphill from there. Very scenic and beautiful. The bridge looks way more intimidating than it actually is once you walk up to it.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Worth the effort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

There are two parking options for this hike: a paved parking lot and a dirt lot. Both require a Red Rock Pass ($5 per day or $15 per week). Parking at the paved lot adds about a mile each direction to the hike. There is a pit toilet at the paved lot. There is not a kiosk for purchasing a Red Rock Pass there at this time. Although the trip from the dirt lot cuts a total of 2 miles off of the hike, the dirt lot requires a high clearance vehicle (4x4 recommended but not required).

From the dirt lot, the hike begins a gradual ascent among beautiful red rock scenery. At about half a mile in, it becomes much more strenuous and requires climbing some rock "stairs" which become quite steep and narrow. Overall, from the dirt lot to the arch is 0.7 miles. Once you have reached the bridge, there is a beautiful vista below you in addition to the view of the bridge. You are able to walk out on the bridge and it is a fantastic photo opportunity. There is also a short trail before the rigourous climb where you can walk underneath the arch for an additional view. We spent about an hour and a half leisurly hiking along this trail, stopping occassionally for photos. I reccommend bringing sufficient water, especially during warmer months.

Demarest, New Jersey
“The drive to it is a little hairy but the hike is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

For a short hike, you have to drive up to the trailhead, but definitely need a high-clearance vehicle to do that. The hike is not long, and the views are fantastic.

Visited May 2013