“Great place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Staines, United Kingdom
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed here for two weeks in March and it was great. We emailed ahead to ask for a quiet room and on check in they had our request. We got allocated a room in B block on the second level and it was nice and quiet. We had the one bed suite and the room was enormous. The main room had a sofa and armchair and a table and two chairs to eat at. It was separated off by a breakfast bar and in that alcove there was a full size fridge freezer, toaster, microwave, sink, gas rings and fully stocked cupboards of mugs, plates etc.

The bedroom was big with a walk in closet with plenty of hanging space and shelves for your clothes. In the bedroom there was another chest of drawers and two bedside cabinets as well so plenty of place to put your gear. The bathroom was located off the bedroom and was clean and stocked with mini toiletries. The shower unit was above the bath. Plenty of towels were supplied.

We had breakfast included and this was the only tiny place they fell down on. It is in the restaurant outside called Jaxon's and it just didn't seem quite big enough for what was needed. Each morning we had to wait in line for sometimes 15 minutes while a table became available and then often you had to share with another couple. Not a problem for us but perhaps some would not have liked that aspect. There were other tables in another part of the restaurant that they kept closed off perhaps due to the amount of staff they had waiting the tables. The breakfast itself was great though. They gave you a card to choose off which had a full cooked breakfast, pancakes, croissants, French toast, cereal or Danish pastries. Each morning you just chose something and it was served with orange juice and unlimited coffee.

At 5-6.30pm there was a free drink available at the pool bar which was a nice touch. We went down about 4 times in our stay on our way out to our evening meal. You got served two drinks straight away each. I usually had the cocktails on the board and my husband had two Buds, you seemed to be able to have anything you liked. It was really busy and a good chance to meet others there. We saw our host one night and it was nice he introduced himself. A lot of the people there seemed to know each other and were travelling on tours from Canada so it was nice as a sole couple to see everyone and chat.

There are three pools all of a good size. The main one is by A block where the pool bar is located and also the spa. All blocks had BBQs to use and C block had a ping pong table. There were also tennis courts and basketball available. Towels are available by the pool.

We didn't hire a car and got ourselves the 15 day bus pass that was for use on the light rail as well and found it to be an excellent service. The stop is right outside the hotel and also the free Orbit trolley goes from there. We found it easy to go to Tempe marketplace, Arizona Mills and Phoenix zoo all with no problems.

All round this is an excellent place to stay. The rooms were cleaned daily and towels restocked and we never had any problems of any sort. It is located in a very good position close to several restaurants within walking distance and the bus stop being right outside is a real bonus. They offer a free airport transfer and they collected us on our arrival within 20 minutes of our phone call and took us back when we left. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to stay again.

Room Tip: If you like things a bit lively choose block A, this is the main area, if not Blocks B & C are q...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
How very nice of you to share the details of your visit. We do apologize for the wait at breakfast - March is the only time of year we have that problem-- not an excuse. We should have had more staff and opened up the other area. We will be better prepared next year.

We very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Cedar City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Though I have no complaints about our stay, I have MAJOR complaints about after our stay. I hardly ever leave things behind, but happened to forget my brand new and rather expensive swimsuit behind the door of the bathroom. As soon as I realized this I called to try to get it back. They patched me through to housekeeping, but no one answered so I left a message with all the necessary info. After a week of not hearing back I called again. I was told to call the next day as the housekeeping staff had gone home for the day. I called back again and this time left a message with the front desk. After still not hearing back for another week I called back yet again only to hear that they could not find what I'd left behind. I asked to speak to the manager, only to be put through to a woman who was very unwilling to help. She said, and I quote, "We only have three people working at the desk, and I haven't seen any messages." Only after I insisted did she call the housekeeping staff. They still were unable to find my swimsuit. After repeating that I knew I had left it there (there was no where else I could have left it behind), she insisted that the housekeeping staff even keep toothbrushes that are left behind. All I can say is I don't think anyone would steal a toothbrush, but a brand new and rather expensive swimsuit? I'll leave that to you to decide for yourself.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I am very sorry you lost your suit. I am certain that if it had been left in the room our staff would have turned it in. We send forgotten items to guests all the time and I have no reason to the believe our staff would have taken it. It's not impossible I suppose, but it is unlikely. Perhaps it was left hanging outside of your room to dry? I do not know, but I am very sorry that your suit is missing.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is the tenth year we have stayed here. It is a comfortable accomodation.
There are swimming pools, tennis courts for kids and adults to have fun.
There is a picnic area for eating out.
There's a great breakfast each morning w/ eggs cooked to your order.
Maids make beds and clean every day.
There are restaurants and other amenities nearby.

And the rooms are spacious w/ chairs and a small kitchen w/ microwave
and utinsels and plastes.

What's not to like? The price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Decide whether or not you want to be around the pool or in a quieter area.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
We are very happy you and your family enjoyed your visit! Thank you for the kind review -- we look forward to your next visit.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

If I'd written this review after my first night of a 4-night stay, it would have been a lot different, but the place kind of won me over. I was ready to leave because of the noise of drunken revelers in the pool area and the parking lot. And a comically loud air conditioner which, I kid you not, sounded like a portable diesel engine. But a) it was convenient to where I needed to be, b) it's reasonably priced (for inflated Scottsdale), and c) it's a serious pain to change hotels in the middle of a business trip.

Know what you're getting. Others have pointed out that the property is a little older. You'll see chipped linoleum, some stains on the carpets, and perhaps have a drippy faucet. We could close the bedroom door to muffle the AC noise. If a little 70's funk will ruin your day, don't stay here. But it's pretty clean for all that. The staff were nice, and the pleasant seniors that infest the place all seemed to have a good buzz on. (Wow, those guys can party and then know what to do with a full sit-down breakfast. Get down to the restaurant early to beat the gray tide.)

My only other suggestion would be to request a higher, quieter room, if such can be had.

Room Tip: go high, get away from the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Well said...although for a quieter room I would suggest Building B..Thanks for giving it a few days.
Ada, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The reviews on this place were not accurate. We had to move from our first room since there was empty beer bottles and dirty counters. No apology, they just moved us. Both rooms smelled. Room was fine if you were expecting a two star. This place is on the corner of two busy roads, so very load. I did enjoy the free made to order breakfast, but they did limit it to five items. Definitely dominated by those over 70. Furniture, carpet and bathroom were not clean. Blinds were hard to open. Pools were fine. Airport shuttle was great and quick.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the busy road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
You definitely should have received an apology for being checked into a room that had not been cleared by housekeeping. There is not excuse and we are very sorry -- albeit late. It is very unfortunate you did not enjoy your visit - we are not for everyone and we are sorry to have disappointed you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

we recently returned from a stay at Hospitality Suite Resort,our stay was in a one bedroom suite.This suited us well as we had a kitchen, the only thing missing was the dishwasher,however the dishes were done by the hosekeeping staff when they came in to clean daily.Also three BBQ's were available for use which we did enjoy having access to,I might add that they too were cleaned daily The housekkeping staff did a pretty good job,we did find our room quite dusty though,and if the ancient 1980 carpet was replaced with tile or lino it would be a huge improvement,and much cleaner!!The windows also had not been cleaned in a long time.Also the furniture is very very dated,and the owner does not seem to want to spend on any updating.That being said we did enjoy our stay and met many nice folks ,the sun and heat was lovely,and so was the pool.For value for your money it was good.The front staff are helpful,especially Jason & Lucas ,I hope I have the names right.The shuttle to and from the airport too was much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
We are happy you feel you received value for your money. We are surprised about the comments on dust, etc and have already put a call into housekeeping and requested they pay extra attention to the windows and dusting. We hope you visit us again. Thank you for being our guest.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed for four nights during unseasonably warm February. Airport pick up, followed by check in was a breeze. Their staff are genuinely friendly and can't do enough for you, which was really welcome after a long flight from the UK. This is an older property (circa late 70's), however, our stay was really comfortable and the price reflects this and made our visit to Scottsdale more attractive as we could spend our $$'s on doing lots of interesting things! We had great fun in Jaxons's (sports bar attached to the hotel) the FB manager was a real hoot and runs a smashing kitchen. Great to eat in or grab a take-out to have back in your room. Happy Hour wasn't for us, we went twice during our stay and much preferred the Jaxon's happy hour or reversed happy hour (9pm until close). We were in block B, the pool was much quieter, which we had requested (thank you HS) and the studio had everything need for a couple of nights. We had a few issues with a funny 'drain smell' coming from the shower which was rectified very quickly once highlighted. The only other issues was the constant light noise omitting from the AC which others have mentioned previously and the fact you can't turn the system off. I'm a light sleeper, with a habit of unplugging hotel refrigerators and even with the dreaded jet-lag, the AC didn't irritate me whatsoever.

Room Tip: Block C, then B will give you less road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. We are very much circa 1978, with some updating since, but you nailed it when you mentioned the great deal with more money to spend on other fun things. We have the important things covered - cleanliness and great service. We hope to have some of the updates done too - we just don't have a timeline as of yet.

Happy you enjoyed your stay.

Been to Hospitality Suite Resort? Share your experiences!