“Great service, very relaxing location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York
“Great service, very relaxing location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for a short get away and it was great.

First the pro's:
- Grounds are beautiful
- People working at the hotel are super friendly and helpful and appear to be everywhere, so you don't have to go searching for someone to get an answer
- Lots of really nice pools
- Righ near Camelback which is great for hiking
- GYM has the best equipment and is very large, super nice and I stay at hotels often
- Restaurants are great and affordable

The major con is that some of the rooms have really bad views and they charge $50 a night for connecting rooms. Other then that, the hotel is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone for a nice get away. One small thing, if you have a stroller its not that stroller friendly when walking around outside, but they will load it in a golf cart and drive you to your destination...a nice bonus in the heat!

Room Tip: As for a room with an outside view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PhoenicianManager, Director of Rooms at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for all of your great feedback! I am pleased that you enjoyed so many features of the resort – especially our recently updated fitness center. We do have a guarantee connecting charge because so many of our guests want the peace of mind of knowing they have one reserved. Having said that, you can always request a connecting room, and we will be more than happy to honor that request at no charge – provided that we have one available. We do hope to welcome you back to The Phoenician in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had read quite a few reviews prior to selecting this resort for a quick weekend of relaxation. There are so many great things about this property, but I will start with a quick couple of things that could use a little improvement, but in the end, certainly didn't diminish from my weekend of relaxation!

When I arrived late at night, there were a couple of people in line ahead of me and only one person to help us. Normally this would be completely expected at midnight when I arrived, but there appeared to be a conference or wedding just ending and the lobby was really busy. Something must have been wrong with the first person's reservation, bc it took a good 15 minutes for me to finally get helped. The staff was very apologetic though and seemed to sense it was taking longer than it should have. The other times I was in the lobby, there always seemed to be a line at the front desk. On Sunday when I went to leave the hotel at 12:30 there was a considerable line of people waiting around and again only 2 people to help this time. I was glad I didn't need to check out at the desk, or I would have certainly been late for my flight. So, it may have been a busier weekend in off season and they just weren't staffed for it, or their computers could have been slow, as the computer did seem to be slow during my check in. So, just leave yourself extra time when needing to do something at the front desk. It certainly didn't ruin my trip at all, but might have been frustrating if my kids had been with me!

I had a room in the main building and was upgraded from a deluxe room to a grand deluxe room by calling prior to my arrival and asking for a room that had a pool view! This was very much appreciated and I would certainly recommend booking the grand deluxe room if you are traveling during high season unless you absolutely don't care about your view. Some things in my room were a little dated or in need of repair, but I had read this in previous reviews and knew what to expect. The carpet had a few stains on it places and my patio table had some holes in it, but I have read that they are remodeling the rooms shortly, so I'm sure these things will be replaced then. Again, did not take away from my trip at all!

Others have complained about outdated electronics, but my room had a great flat screen TV, iPod docking clock with radio and wireless telephone and keurig coffee machine (loved it!) , so I didn't see that as an issue. When the remodel does occur, a ceiling fan in the rooms would make a great addition. The room thermostat was an older model, but it functioned great when I turned the air conditioning up at night and then down during the day!

The bed in my room was amazing, just as I would expect at any 5 star resort! There were also lots of little things in the room that I really appreciated and that stood out. There were 4 magazines on the table in the sitting room when I arrived, a copy of Kiplingers and Tennis among them, when I arrived! I hadn't bought any magazines prior to my trip, so this was a great little touch! The full chaise lounger on the deck was also fabulous. The first morning I didn't feel like getting organized to go down to the pool, so I just laid on my deck for the morning! Yes, it was pretty hot in June, but that is what I was there for!!

I used the refrigerator for some snacks I brought back to my room and wasn't charged for anything from the minibar, but you do need the key for the minibar in order to use the refrigerator. I was glad I had taken the key to the minibar when asked if I wanted it upon check in!

The pools were laid out differently than I might have expected, but by the second day I found the perfect place to sit in my opinion! The first day I sat up on the top pool west side and that pool had a little action at times bc the volleyball net was there and then was quiet at other times. The food and drink service was excellent here and I believe that Jeremy was my server that afternoon! He was wonderful! It was actually really nice that they didn't try to scoop my food away right when I stopped to take a break from eating! I was enjoying some chips and salsa for a couple of hours and most places I would have had to tell them 6 times that I was still nibbling on them! The drinks here were amazing as they came from the main pool bar. I found over the next couple of days, that the drinks that came from the main pool bar were the best. The next two days I sat down by the mother of pearl pool and the drinks down there were not quite as good, but I needed to stretch my legs at one point and walked up and got one from the main bar and that again was much better. I found it wonderful to sit on the chairs facing the lake and fountains and then when I got hot I turned around and went for a dip in the mother of pearl pool with the cabanas and mountains in the background! This gave you 2 different views and I felt like I had more space then had I been squished in the chairs next to the pool.

I used the fitness center one night and your room key lets you in at any hour. It was great and had better fitness equipment than my gym membership I pay $100 a month for! Couldn't ask for anything else at a hotel fitness center. They had cool towels in the lobby with a citrus spa scent! If you get hot at the pool, walk over and grab a couple of those towels! Extremely refreshing! They also had 2 mini fridges packed with water bottles and a basket of apples and oranges! I grabbed an apple and had one for breakfast the next day and one by the pool!

The final thing I really enjoyed were the walking paths and all the different things to explore right on property. I wish I would have made it out to the activities center, but ran out of time. You had lots of room for walking at night and exploring the gardens by day. At the pools there were games you could borrow like scrabble or cards. There were also all the kids water activities like the water slide and floating lilly pads to run across! I would certainly bring my family also!

This is an amazing resort that delivered all I needed in my weekend away for some relaxation. There were lots of people that lived locally that had just come for a couple nights away and I wish we had resorts like this in my hometown!! Great idea for the 100 degree weather! But also a wonderful place to come from far away! Being in the travel industry, I've visited a lot of resorts,but this one is amazing, so feel free to message me if you have any questions. It is certainly the little things that add up to make a property like this a shining star in my book!

Room Tip: Book a grand deluxe room to get room with sunshine and pool/golf views! The back of Casita Bldg N lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Wow, thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review! Guest feedback is a very important measurement tool for our management team and we truly appreciate your observations. We do apologize for the long lines at check-in and check-out and will be sure to address your comments with our front office staff. We are delighted to hear that you were able to take advantage of the available amenities during your stay – and that you found relaxation at the pools! Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, and we will pass along your kind words to Jeremy. We hope to welcome back in the near future!
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had 4 nights in June as a couple on a friend's recommendation and loved it.
The welcome was warm and staff could not have been more helpful or attentive during our stay, from being greeted by name at the security booth, to poolside service, all the restaurants on site, and the concierge and front desk staff.
This is 5 star, and charges accordingly, but anyone booking a 5 star resort expects this, and so long as the service and quality is spot on, it still represents value for money.
We particularly enjoyed the meal at JG Steakhouse and sitting on the terrace in the evening with a fabulous view across Phoenix to the mountains in the distance was memorable.
I played golf - rented the clubs and rates were good for a decent resort course - 3x 9 hole loops.
Would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Had a pool view room and view was excellent and close to centre of hotel which made for easy access...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Phoenician! The view from J&G boasts one of the most spectacular views in the Valley, and we are delighted that you were able to enjoy a wonderful meal on the terrace. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable stay!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Phoenician resort for 3 nights in june with two other couples where we celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary. When we informed the staff member checking us in of the purpose of our vacation she immediately comped our breakfast for the entire stay and sent us a bottle of champagne to our room! We chose to stay at a casita facing the pool and the beautiful gardens. The room was very clean and spacious with a patio. The concierge gave us great dining advise as we are vegetarians and find it difficult to find restaurants that cater to our needs. He sent us to olive and Ivy which was delicious with great service.
The pool area was huge -- 9 pools in all with plenty of chairs and a nice restaurant poolside. We had dinner one night at JG steakhouse and were a bit disappointed at the slow service plus dining room was so cold - we complained several times to no avail. The spa was the highlight of our stay. My husband, who hates massages, was thrilled with his deep tissue massage. I did a yoga class and meditation with my friends and used the gym as well. It was the most relaxing , wonderful vacation we have had in years. If you are planning to visit Scottsdale , the Phoenician Resort is the place to stay!

Room Tip: stay in a casita facing the pool on the upper level.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your relaxing anniversary at The Phoenician and were able to experience so many of our signature amenities! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Roslyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our third visit to The Phoenician Resort in Scottsdale Az. My husband attends a conference here and I get an amazing treat. The rooms are beautiful and immaculate. What I love best, and have always loved it the service. Everyone simply cannot do enough for you as a guest! Not only is everyone so nice and friendly, but the service wherever you go in this resort is top notch!!! I love going to the pool and having a pitcher brought to me with water and ice right away. The restaurants are wonderful and the spa is amazing!!! We love it here!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice but we love the garden rooms. It's not in the main hotel so you walk out...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. We love hearing from return visitors and appreciate your kind comments! Our staff is committed to providing our guests with exceptional experiences and that begins with AAA Five Diamond service. We can’t wait to welcome you back for your fourth visit to The Phoenician!
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just returned from a conference at this hotel. Very welcoming from the minute we arrived, even though they were overrun with attendees - extremely pleasant, everyone was approachable and worked hard to meet any ask. Even the staff as you walked to and from your room were friendly. Had a room at the end of the hall with a huge deck facing the golf course which was a very pleasant place to read and get caught up on e-mail. Room was well appointed. Bathroom amenities were top notch. Free coffee in the room. Turn down service included a refresh of the room, bottles of free water and chocolate -- most appreciated after a long day in meetings. Walked the beautiful grounds and found waterfalls and gorgeous landscaping. Exercise room was nice. Food throughout the event was delicious - I have lots of food allergies and they easily accommodated my every meal. Highly recommend - would return here in a minute!

Room Tip: 2048 had a huge deck facing the golf course, oversized room in the main building. Great location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PhoenicianManager, Director of Food and Beverage at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and helpful feedback. It is always a particular pleasure to receive such positive comments! We are very proud of our resort and so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. You can be sure that we will share your kind words with the team. Again, thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Phoenician and Canyon Suites in the very near future!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Visited the Phoenician for one week as part vacation part business trip. Check in process was efficient, polite and informative. Our room had a view of Camelback Mountain and the cactus garden. Found the room to be spacious, clean and comfortable. The grounds were kept in fine form as cleaning was done constantly. We visited the gym which was not huge but had all of the usual equipment you would expect to find.
The spa was inviting and full service staffed with those who were interested in making sure that you left feeling relaxed. After donning a robe, you may wait for your masseuse to come and get you as you sip any number of naturally flavored water available. You may wish to wait and relax in the meditation room. Had the Swedish massage which was fantastic. Had my nails done which began with a neck massage followed by a hot pack placed on my shoulders. Visited the salon just for an up-do. Enjoyed both my stylist and my hair style.

Dined in all of the restaurants. Truly enjoyed the ambiance of JG Steakhouse. Eat out on the patio as there are open flame fire pits which set a beautiful scene. Started with oysters and my main was the Dover sole - delectable.
Relish is the burger place which is located by the golf course. Visited for lunch twice. I ordered the same burger on both occasions - True Blue. Prepared to my liking both times.
At the Camelback lounge we were able to order food from the II Terazzo menu. Would seem to have been a bit scaled down from the normal restaurant menu as we were eating in the lounge but was tasty nonetheless. There is a cafe that also serves breakfast, specialty coffees. I particularily enjoyed the smoked salmon which I had on a couple of occasions. Nothing special or unique in presentation, I just would have never thought that they would have offered this item on a limited menu and I appreciated its presence.

We rented a car for our week stay and made a trip to Sedona to the the must-see red rocks. Michelle - one of the 2 concierge named Michelle was helpful and informative with directions. She gave us a wonderful lunch selection - the Enchantment Resort. Taking her advice we ate on the patio at Tii Gavo in full intimate view of a red rock mountain as our backdrop while dining. I especially enjoyed the sangria of which there was the choice of red and white. I chose the red = delish. Returning to the Phoenician was convenient for those who have rented a car as you have the choice of valet or self parking. The self parking is great as it is located underground. Ample parking available.

I definitely recommend checking out the Phoenician should you be considering a trip to AZ. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Your kind words are much appreciated. We are happy to hear that enjoyed your experience at The Phoenician and that Michelle was able to give you some great recommendations! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!