“Dated facility, but luxurious” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dated facility, but luxurious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I've never been sold on the "spa experience." It seems like a lot of hotels are trying to distract the traveler from the reality of the location. Although solid and luxurious, this hotel - to me - is ugly. Dated 70's style is like the Brady Bunch's home - no longer in style. Good impression of the place but I'm not "bustin' out" to go back. In fact, I'm going back to Phoenix and I'm going to try the Biltmore.

• Liked — Inside the room appointments
  • Disliked — The outside of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Phoenician after Thanksgiving for a shopping weekend in Scottsdale. Location is great, 5-10 minutes to various malls, old town shops etc. Staff, when we saw any, seemed bored. No one ever smiled, and they seemed annoyed when you ask for something. At this level, you shouldn't ever even need to ask for anything. Training seems desperately needed in regards to service. For this reason alone, this hotel should lose a diamond/star rating. Food also was very mediocre at various outlets, room service, cafe, lounge. We did not splurge for Mary Elaine's (which I am sure is still great), but the quality of food did not extend to the rest of the outlets clearly. I was served a chicken breast that was simply reheated and must have been stored for at least a day (hard and rubbery, yuck). The rooms are spacious with large bathrooms and nice balconies, but this resort should be perfect for the price.

• Liked — large bathrooms, seperate tub and shower, nice bath amenities
  • Disliked — service and food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

My wife and I just spent a short holiday in Scottsdale, AZ and stayed at this hotel for the first 2 nights and another hotel for 3 nights. We absolutely fell in love with the Phoenician. We arrived late at night (around 12:30AM) and yet we were greeted and treated like valued guests by the overnight staff. We had a very pleasant doorman open the car door and welcome us to the resort. He immediately helped us unload the car and escorted us to the reception. There we were greeted by the front desk agent as well as the evening manager. Both were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We had a wonderful room overlooking the pool area (there are NINE pools at this resort - and they're open 24 hours). Our bathroom was enormous and absolutely spotless. This was a first time for us and a special treat to stay in such a high-end resort, and what we noticed was the absence of a coffee-maker in the room. When I called about it, I found out it was an item that can be placed in the room on request. As for ice-machines on the floor - there aren't any but they will have Room service deliver it to your room free of charge. Not really big deals to us, but just thought it was unusual.

Went for breakfast the next day and had the buffet - it was very good and we got to sit outside, under the shade of the retractable canopy, again, overlooking the pool area. The food and service was excellent. EVERYONE is so friendly and polite and seems to have a genuine interest in your well being. In fact, in speaking with a couple of different people in different departments, they always offered us chilled bottles of water at the end of our conversation, when they knew we were heading outside. That was great.

Going to the pool area was a total dream. There are so many lounge chairs (chaise-lounges) to choose from. When we homed in on 2 of them, it was like a staff member appeared out of no-where to offer assistance in setting it up for us. They would lay out the pool towels and then roll up a 2nd one and place it at the top for you to rest your head on. Minutes later, a 2nd employee would come by and drop off a jug of ice-water and 2 glasses. WOW - this without having asked. Nice touch! Also was given a menu and although pricy, we did indulge in some of the snacks and beverages. Both were very tasty.

Anyways - overall - the experience cost a little more than other hotels we would normally choose, but this was a special retreat and it was worth every penny. Kudos to the great staff and the wonderful grounds - they are absolutely pristine and manicured. We did not check out the golf or spa - we simply layed by the pool on both days and enjoyed the unseasonal temperatures for early November (94 F on both days). I would recommend this to couples, honeymooners and even families with kids of all ages - we saw them there and there is lots to do for everyone.

We will definitely be back and tell everyone about our wonderful time there.

• Liked — Everything! The pool areas and the overall grounds of the resort were amazing
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

My wife, myself and my toddler stayed here for 5 nights in late October, 2007. The property is magnificent. We enjoyed the pools, the spa, the playground, and the buffet breakfast. The room was very clean and each employee was nice. Overall a fantastic stay, but not perfect. Yes, they do charge for everything, but the service is top notch. I just wish they didn't send the turn-down person to the room after 9:00pm when my daughter was sleeping.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seal Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Despite a memorable visit and nice (but expensive) dinner, my lasting memory will be the $30 per day mandatory parking fee - and that was for my new Lexus to sit in an open parking lot in 100 degree weather!!! That's not to mention the charge to use the gym.
For a place with class, they show none of the same by these more than ticky-tacky fees.

Stayed August 2007
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

This is a nice hotel by all regards... except for two absolute deal-breakers: 1. cockroaches, 2. housekeeping stole a Gameboy game from my room.

1. On the second level, I saw two large cockroaches roaming the hallway late at night. A couple hours later, a large cockroach was in my room.

2. I left a Gameboy game sitting out in my hotel room during the day. It was there when I left the room late morning, and gone when I got back early afternoon, after housekeeping had been in my room. Now, I realize you're supposed to use the room safe, of course, but from a 5-star resort, I would expect that that's not necessary. However, I also wouldn't expect to see large cockroaches roaming around either.

• Disliked — I can't decide between cockroaches and the thievery.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norman, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

After me wife and I decided to visit Scottsdale on her fall break, we performed extensive research on our hotel options and felt the most comfortable with The Phoenician. We liked the big pools, we liked the location - minutes from the plethora of restaurants in Scottsdale, and I liked the proximity of the reost to the hiking trails on Camelback mountain.

We were willing to take our chances on conventioneers overruning the hotel, which was our chief concern. I was also a little concerned about the hotel looking "worn out", as has been mentioned on several reviews on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to report that the hotel did not appear to be in any state of decline. We also did not lack for attention from the staff at any time. We had high expectations, and should have for the rates we were paying, but I felt that this was a 4.5 star property.

We saw a few groups of corporate gatherings, but the majority of guests appeared to be couples (of various ages) and young families. When we went in mid-October, there were always ample chairs available at the pools and the high temparature was in the low-90's.

We did not eat at the hotel (and I'm always amazed why people suffer through one disappointing hotel meal after another when there are hundreds of restaurants within a two-three mile radius).

Be aware that to get the most out of your trip to Phoneix, you'll need ground transportation (i.e., a rental car). If your stay at the Canyon Suites, they'll provide car service for you (but then again, you'll pay a couple of hundred dollard more per night than the main resort).

The Phoenician is definitely not a boutique hotel. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend the Royal Palms or The Boulders. But it met and exceeded our expectations in all areas.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!