Let me start by saying my husband, young son and I spent 5 nights here last summer and had a terrific visit. We planned to return to Scottsdale for 7 nights (July 22-29) this summer and had originally booked the Four Seasons because of an outstanding rate offer. But, as
a member of Fairmont's loyalty club, I gave them a quick phone call which resulted in a price match of the Four Seasons Rate. Given last year's good experience, we decided to return to the Fairmont.
It is a beautiful property, but as many other reviewers have noted, in is in dire need of updating to maintain its five diamond rating. But, the pools and grounds are great, very family friendly, love teh kids club, lovely spa, and most of the front-line staff are extremely
nice and accommodating.
Here is where our Fairmont stay went wrong:
We booked a 2-bedroom Casita Suite and were given rooms 5106 and 5108. We entered our room in the early evening and immediately detected an odd odor in 5108. They had admitted that they had needed to do some extensive cleaning of the room after the prior guests had checked out earlier in the day, so we chalked up the odor to the smell of carpet cleaner, etc.
By morning, the smell was compounded by a problem with bugs, and the telephones not working. We contacted the front desk and they sent an engineer. He fixed the phones (all of the batteries were dead and one had a bad connection), they addressed the bug problem, and then inspected the fireplace in 5108 (from where we thought the smell was originating) and discovered that it was not operating. At that point,
we thought we were smelling natural gas, so the engineer told us he had turned off the gas.
The odor continued and by then, we had developed severe headaches. We had the ceiling fans going at full speed and opened the doors to air out the rooms. We made numerous calls over the next 24 hours to get the problem addressed. The next engineer came in and announced that he had just turned off the gas to the fireplace and that the smell should dissipate within an hour or two. Apparently the prior engineer had only extinguished the pilot light.
By evening (this is now 72 hours after originally arriving at the room), the smell was worse and we just couldn't take it anymore. We asked to move rooms. They offered us "air fresheners to neutralize the odor". We couldn't believe it. They sent another engineer who made an awful face once he entered the room and caught a whiff. He double checked the fireplace and then assured us that we were not smelling natural gas. He then explained that it was instead SEWER GAS
that we were smelling and that they really needed to treat their system with bleach or something because the odor was so bad!
At that point, we INSISTED on the move and at about 10 pm that evening, we moved all of our belongs and two sleeping children to comparable rooms. The look on the bellman's face when he smelled the room was priceless. As he was helping us move, he apologized for how badly the room smelled. We were shocked and stunned that it took three days of calls, complaints, visits from housekeeping staff, maintenance engineers, the casita butler and others to finally reach this conclusion.
How did the Fairmont apologize for placing us three nights in a $528 per night room that smelled like sewer gas? They offered to buy us dinner, only after my husband's call to express our displeasure with the situation. It is hard to express how disappointed we are with how
they handled this.
Our trip to Arizona is an annual visit. Sadly, we will not return to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess next year.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.