“Pricey...But Oh So Amazing...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sip Savor & Sun $100/Day
Ranked #15 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Austin, Texas
“Pricey...But Oh So Amazing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

My wife and I headed to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess after reading the great reviews on this website. (We love Trip Advisor!) We went for five days and four nights, and we took advantage of "The Girlfriends' Package" (doesn't matter the sexes of the guests to take advantage of this promotional offer). The package included our room, breakfast, lunch, and one spa treatment per person **each day.** I think we paid $850/night...and it was definitely indulgent...but we LOVED it!

Let's just start with the staff: Perhaps the friendliest staff we have ever encountered anywhere. EVERY SINGLE STAFF MEMBER we saw or passed in the halls would acknowledge us with a smile. It became a game between my wife and me to see if we could pass a staffer who wouldn't speak to us. Never happened.

As you will read from other reviews, the rooms are not new. They look between 15-20 years old, but they have been updated. We found our room quite comfortable and *very* clean. We also appreciated how quiet it was at the hotel. We slept great!

THE SPA IS THE MOST AMAZING SPA WE HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The spa is brand new, and it is *breathtaking.* Even on our last day at the spa, we were still in awe of the beauty (and size) of the facility.

While there, I had the very best massage of my life (twice!) with a therapist named Bryan Buchanan. I strongly recommend him. Very strong...and his deep tissue massages will...well, I can't come up with the words to describe how amazing they were.

We never ate dinner at the hotel. (Our favorite off-site dinner place, btw, was a super fun restaurant near the hotel called "Sapporo," located on Scottsdale Road. One of the most fun restaurants we have ever visited. We wish that they would open a branch in Los Angeles.)

We ate breakfast in the restaurant or via room service. Was always good. Ditto for lunch, which we ate at the spa or at the pool.

In closing (and this may sound silly), I need to give props to the front door staff: They were great. Just super friendly and charming young men who made sure that, whether coming or going, every guest had a smile on his/her face. I don't know how the hotel finds -- and hires -- the most charming guys in Phoenix, but they do.

The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is not a hotel that we can afford to visit often...but we look forward to our next, special viist there.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Princess two nights for a business convention. In case you are considering paying their $475 per night rate, consider the fact that conventioneers only pay about $215 to $220 per night (plus some other fees). It is immaculate, and staff was everywhere and tending to your every need. Maybe too much so for me. It seemed pretentious, but then I generally don't like this type of hotel. I have simpe tastes, and don't mind carrying my own luggage and tending to my own needs. The worst part was the food. Nothing special here in any way, shape or form. I had high expectations for the food, but was very disappointed. The best part was the rooms, they are very spacious and well appointed. We also liked the birds and rabbits, they are everywhere. If you love being pampered, love perfection, love going to the spa, love golf, and are of the country club set, this is your place. But for the rest of us, we will keep it simple.

Stayed May 2006
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

Stayed here for 4 nights in a Casita room - absolutely beautiful room. The staff here is so friendly and accommodating. They cannot do enough for you. The hotel grounds are so gorgeous and peaceful. I cannot wait to return here.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Hartford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

This resort is beautiful! The staff are amazing - everyone was friendly and helpful, from the housekeeping staff to the front desk to the hotel waiters. The room was great - my only complaint was that you could hear a lot of noise in the hallway. I ended up rolling up a towel and placing it under the door to keep out noise. You can also hear noise from other rooms, but it may have just been me. I had a neighbor who came back to their room at 2:45 am, fighting, screaming and throwing things. Had to call security who promptly came out and told them they had to be quiet. It got better but I could still hear them and could smell their cigarette smoke and alcohol through the vents (it was a non-smoking room). Fortunately they checked out the next day and then I saw a repair crew in the room. After that I didn't hear any other noises from next door. The food is excellent and the grounds are gorgeous. Definitely a fabulous place to "get away" and enjoy Scottsdale.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

My wife and 2 sons just returned from a glorious week at the Princess. The setting is like a botanical garden and we loved strolling the grounds. The resort staff were among the most helpful we have ever encountered in our travels. The spa is top notch and justifies a visit all by itself. We enjoyed our meals on site but also ate at several restaurants conveniently located nearby. Our room - in the villas - was comfortably spacious and an extra bed and refrigerator were provided free of charge. So the reviewer below who siggests bringing a cooler can enjoy all of the modern conveniences next time she visits! Members of the Fairmont Presidents Club are entitled to free internet access (at least we were), so I reccommend that you become members before visiting if your kids - like ours - are mouse potatoes.

• Stayed March 2006
Bend, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

It was a nice resort with a great spa. However, my room as well as my brothers smelled of smoke. So much so that we both had trouble sleeping. We were in rooms with a meeting area in between the rooms. The chairs were so uncomfortable at the meeting table we chose to write on our laps at the couch rather than sit in the chairs. It took several days to get moved to a new room and they would not do anything to make up for the problem (for examle free breakfast). If you do not smoke then you know no matter how nice the room is it still sucks. Great golt close by. I prefer the boulders.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

I just got back from the Princess tonight. Spent 3 nights with a girlfriend while our husbands went on a boys golfing trip. The Princess is beautiful. We upgraded to a Signature Room in one of the casitas. It was beautiful and right on the golf course. The room was spacious -- we loved the fireplace. The bathroom is huge as is the walk-in closet. Service throughout the resort is truly 5-star. Service is what separates this resort from most others. We ate several meals at the resort and weren't disappointed with any of them. Eat at Hacienda, it was delicious.
We ordered room service also and thought it was great--the pizza was so good!

I can't say enough about the spa. The service is fantastic and the surroundings are incredible. Plan on spending the day when you book your treatment. A treatment entitles you to the entire facility for as long as you want that day--including workout facility, beautiful pool, inhalation room, steam room, hot tub, waterfall and more. A word to the wise though, book your treatment before you even get there. We waited and had a hard time booking. They were wonderful, though and found us a great treatment time that worked out better than the one we had originally wanted.
We are already planning our next trip to the Princess. It was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale? Share your experiences!