“Trust but Verify” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Mesa, Arizona
“Trust but Verify”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very nice place, lovely pool, comfortable and service oriented almost to excess. However watch your bill carefully. The server at breakfast added 18% tip when we left money on the table and added 3 glasses of juice when there were just two of us and refills are free. Expensive restaurant-do yourself a favour look outside of the resort there are so many other choices for food.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Presidents Club
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontScottsdl, Director of Food & Beverage at Fairmont Scottsdale, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Sekerere,

We appreciate you joining us at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess and sharing your visit. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the pools and attentive service. Although, we sincerely apologize about your breakfast experience and would like to speak with you in order to look into this matter. I may be reached at david.miller@fairmont.com We hope to welcome you back for a truly memorable dining experience here at the Princess in the future.

David Miller
Director of Food & Beverage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Mesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This resort has the best summer programs for the entire family. There is something for everyone to enjoy. The property, staff and level of service have always been the best. The room and amenities were great and the rooms are larger than most resorts. We have stayed there every summer the past four years and we will continue to stay there in the future. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Eastern Us
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Beautiful facilities, if you are female get ready for loads if compliments from the male staff, some inappropriate. Don't think your kids are safe in property...my under aged girls were served alcohol more than once when I was not with them. They were asked to go off property by an employee in the management training program.
DO NOT GO over July 4th unless you want to see a 5* hotel turn into a motel 6! Not a fun trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I spent 8 nights at the hotel and had a wonderful time. I attended a conference in the hotel and arrived five days early to explore the area and unwind at the hotel.

The service was impeccable, especially for the first few days before the rest of the conference attendees arrived. I think there were very few guests in the hotel so I received more personal attention. The first night I ordered room service and received a call back after about 20 minutes to let me know they were running late and ask if could they offer me some chocolate chip cookies to make up for the delay. I was in no hurry so gladly accepted then spent the rest of my trip hoping other room service orders would be late - they were some of the best cookies I've ever had! (They're on the menu and I highly recommend ordering them.)

I only used the South Pool as it was right outside my door and found it simply wonderful. In the early morning I swam laps and was charmed by some ducks that were paddling next to me. I spent a full day lounging by the pool, although the mid-July heat in Arizona was a bit much for this Canadian. I found a happy medium of jumping into the pool for a while then air drying while reading then popping back in to cool off. Eventually I gave up sitting poolside and just brought my book into the pool! I did enjoy lunch and a drink by the pool, though.

My room was beautifully appointed with a small sitting area in addition to a desk. (I love not having to sit on the bed all the time.) The king-size bed was perfect and I was given foam pillows upon request (I abhor feather pillows). The bathroom was spacious and had both a large (and very deep) tub as well as a shower stall. There was also a little deck outside with a table and chairs and it was comfortable enough in the mornings to eat breakfast there. My room faced west and there some great sunsets, as well as an excellent view of the lightning during a thunderstorm one evening.

I paid a $25 one-time fee to have a small fridge in my room which was great for keeping drinks and fruit cool. The Fairmont hotels do charge for internet access but as a President's Club member that fee is waived. There was also a fee of $10 per night for self-parking.

The hotel offers a large number of activities for guests and I could have done without the movie at the pool. As I mentioned it was right outside my door and it was very loud. I ended up using headphones to block it out. But then there was an incredible fireworks display (which they do every Saturday night) that I loved. In the summer it seems the hotel gets busier on weekends and is a destination for families.

I went in to Phoenix to catch a ballgame at Chase Field, a great indoor stadium (it really is air conditioned), and drove to the Grand Canyon as well. The hotel is located near a highway so travel was very easy. All in all, I had a fabulous experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Breckenridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Guestroom was exceptionally clean,pools were pristine and the waitstaff at both the pool lounge and the hotel lounge were attentive and friendly. Staff seems empowered to create memorable experiences.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed for 7 nights. This is not a 5 star property. Upon arrival, let's start by saying that my credit card was charged for "incidentals" for over a $1000, which is more than what I would pay for the room. Of course that amount would be lifted on check out, but still:isn't that 1. Incovenient. 2. Excessive??? As I argued the case at the front desk, they looked at me as if I were some sort of paria.
Aside from that, be prepared to pay for everything. I'm surprised they don't charge for ice.
I was with a conference, they arranged a special price lunch for $14. We all thought: nice! Until we tried it. The ""buffet" was ridiculous and the quality of the food not even decent.
So, people started to get food outside of the property. And then we were all communicated at the conference that it wasn't allowed to eat food coming from outside the property other than in our rooms. Really?
The pools.
Yeah they are nice and all, but I wasn't struck by their condition. Maintenance much needed. In the meantime, there was maintenance going on all over the place, resulting in noise, dust and closed areas. The elevator on my beach didn't work. And I was staying on the 3rd floor.
The gym is small for the resort. The equipment isn't top of the line either.
Internet connection isn't free, usually.
Cabs. There are black limo style cabs always ready on property, and they charge you the flat rate of $16. The driver gave me his business card when he dropped me at the restaurant, saying to call back for a pick up, because, he said, no other cab service is allowed on property. I risked and asked the restaurant to call me a regular cab. Guess what, I paid $8 and it did leave me in front of the lobby.
The rooms are nice. That's all I would say.
The entire structure needs major improvements. As is, I'm sure there are so many better options if you choose a 5 star hotel in the area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
FairmontScottsdl, Director of Operations at Fairmont Scottsdale, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear kipa76,

We appreciate your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for any miscommunication upon check-in; we try our best to be clear with all charges. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy the lunch during your event and we hope that over the week, you were able to explore the resort’s dining outlets. La Hacienda and Bourbon Steak are truly world class. Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding maintenance around the property, although where you describe the elevator closed at your beach and other closed areas, left me slightly confused. Please contact me at gerard.mauvis@fairmont.com if you would like to share more details. We hope you will consider another visit to the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess for what is sure to be a visit more reflective of our Five Diamond resort and that every aspect of your stay is tailored specifically to your preferences.

Gerard Mauvis
Director of Operations
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Expectations were high since this is a 5 star resort so while I would recommend it as a nice place to stay, keep your expectations in check. I have stayed at 5 other 4-5 star resorts in Scottsdale and found them just as nice or nicer. It did seem to be very busy with lots of kids and families on Staycations so maybe the staff was overwhelmed but no one seemed enthusiastic to greet us or help us. Rooms are nicely appointed but definitely showing wear and tear ( we were in B building where they are painting the hallways), especially the bathroom which seemed small -with a small shower and tub. AC barely kept the room cool enough- got up twice to turn it down overnight. The south/kids pool seemed very crowded when we walked through but the larger pool was less so.
Nice bar for evening drinks with fireworks on Sat night which was fun.
Nice but keep your expectations more 4 star.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontScottsdl, Director of Operations at Fairmont Scottsdale, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear travelingagain08,

You were certainly right to have high expectations upon arrival. The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is a AAA Five Diamond Award-winning resort, with the service and amenities of a truly world-class destination. That being said, it is very disappointing to learn that your stay with us was not completely reflective of this prestige. Your feedback is much appreciated and we will most definitely take your comments into consideration moving forward. It sounds as though you did enjoy a pleasant evening of cocktails and fireworks and I hope you were able to visit one of our other four pools for a more relaxing atmosphere. We would be more than happy to work with you beforehand to find the perfect accommodations for your next stay with us; simply contact me at gerard.mauvis@fairmont.com. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Gerard Mauvis
Director of Operations

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale? Share your experiences!