“Would stay again for sure, but not perfect.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #44 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
New London, New Hampshire
“Would stay again for sure, but not perfect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

VERY Clean, comfortable, casual. The gal who checked me in misread the reservation and keep messing it up which was an annoying start. I had extended my three day reservation by one night - and I had to check in twice, once when I got there and then had to come back on the last day to check in again. Seemed weird to me. But everything was great after that and made up for it ten fold. Front door staff was delightful! Food was excellent! Conference room was cold so bring a sweater. The ice vending rooms only had ice, no drinks or snacks. Close proximity to shopping and downtown via the free Trolley.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this positive review of your stay at our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the compliments of your room and the service provided by our staff. I do apologize for the complications and confusion at the front desk and we will follow up with the staff involved, as I don't understand what happened either. We do hope that we will see you again soon. You don't have to wait until next year or the next conference!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We found the newly updated rooms to be average and overpriced. The updated rooms still appear dated in terms of the furnishings. The bathrooms are small and cramped. Our bathroom door did not stay open unless propped open with something heavy. The towels in the room were very harsh. It was like drying off with a piece of sandpaper. The bathrobes that were provided were equally disappointing. They were very course and overly stiff. Please add some fabric softner and lay off the starch.

The breakfast offered was very good. We ordered items both off of the menu, as well as, trying the buffet. Everything we sampled was delicious and very fresh. They had amazing apple and walnut pancakes on one of the days. Seriously, they were soooo good. The service inside the restaurant for breakfast is much better than the service that we received when sitting outside. On the day of our arrival, they ran out of placemats and our plates were placed on a dusty and dirty table. Ick. Each time we asked for something (e.g. water, hot sauce, etc.) it was a 5-10 min wait. They looked understaffed on this day and had managers running around from table to table, but this did nothing to improve the service. However, our waitresses, the two times we sat inside, was excellent.

The hotel provides bottled water in the room for a fee, next to the coffee maker. Upon arrival, one of our bottles was already opened. I called the front desk to have housekeeping replace it with a new one, however, during the 3 days of our trip, this never happened. Upon checkout I had to mention the issue again, so they could note my account so that I would not be charged. I pretty much have no faith in this hotel, so I am still waiting for the water to appear on my bill. Also the housekeeping staff does not restock the mini bar. In addition, the items on the mini bar menu, do not match up with the items in the mini bar (e.g. different candies offered, etc).

The room type that we booked was not honored. We booked pool view, however, was told by the front desk staff that this was incorrect. As I stood there disappointed and telling him that he was incorrect, he just stared at my blankly and did not say a word. He just told me, I am sorry that is not what you booked and there is nothing we could do even if you did because we are not sold out of that room category. What kind of customer service is that? Had I not been up since 3 am and just flown in, I would have taken more of a stand, but at this point we just needed to check into our rooms and change before heading out to a Spring Training game. We ended up being fine away from the pool, but the reason we booked this hotel in the first place was to be close to the pool. However, even the pool view rooms and rooms located on the first floor facing the pool, do not allow quick access to the pool. You still have to exit the hotel via the interior corridor and walk all the way around to one of the pool gates. In the future, I would not pay extra for the pool view or pool level rooms.

In general, the pool area was well maintained and the lounge chairs were clean and comfy. The pool staff brought out extra umbrellas for shade for anyone that asked. Water was provided poolside, which was great because the weather was in the 90's. The hotel allowed smoking by the pool. I am not sure what the laws are in Arizona, but I am from California and smoking is pretty much prohibited everywhere. It was pretty gross to have to choke down someone else's smoke when trying to relax by the pool. I wish they would put up a no smoking sign. The pool and the lounge chairs filled up very quickly during our visit. If you did not claim a chair by 11:00 am, you were out of luck until people left in the early afternoon. The service by the pool was inconsistent. They either offered it or they didn't. It was really hit and miss and only saw one waitress in the evening during our second night there.

The hotel offered computers with internet access and printers in the lobby free of charge for guests to use during their visit to check in for flight and print out boarding passes, etc. I thought this was a nice perk, as I have paid at other hotels to access the same services.

The hotel did not offer a bell hop to help with luggage. You were left to your own devices to lug your luggage up to your room. Even if we didn't need it, it is pretty common practice to offer this service. Maybe they do offer the service, and it just wasn't extended to us?

Overall, I feel this hotel is overpriced for what it is and the service was very inconsistent. During my next visit to Scottsdale, I will be staying else where. The pool and breakfast are not enough to bring me back. Especially when I can get a nicer room, better service and more updated amenities else where. Why settle when you can have it all?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback of your stay at our resort. I apologize for this issues you experienced and have addressed these items with my management team to follow up with staff involved. Although we are tremendously busy during this time of year, we should be staffed appropriately to provide a high level of service and response on a consistent basis. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you that these items have been addressed and that we are better than this experience.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from spending a week in the villas at the Hilton. Prior to leaving it was difficult to find very much info about the villas. But since this was a relatively late booking and it was busy with spring training in Scottsdale it was difficult to find accommodation for my college aged child and friend and I. The villas are situated a couple of blocks from the Hilton hotel ...they are spacious with 2 good sized en suite bedrooms ,kitchen with washer dryer and huge living/dining area and patio. We were very pleasantly surprised by how well appointed and immaculately clean everything was. There is a pool for the use of villa occupants which was great as the main pool at the hotel was very busy. Disappointed that our patio was north facing and that the walls were thin so we could hear occupants of next doors villa very clearly from the bedrooms. Location is right on Scottsdale Rd so 5 mins down to Fashion Square and Old Town and 15 to Kierland Commons area. Good restaurants directly across the street and Starbucks and breakfast places 2 mins walk. I would definitely consider going there again.

Room Tip: Ask for villa with sunny patio to enjoy breakfast or cocktails in the sun.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this positive review of your stay. Our Villas are great for families with plenty of room, separate bed and bathrooms and many amenitites that you mention. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope to see you again on your next visit to our area.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Wonderful staff!! Pool facility was excellent, location great for baseball, golf, shopping and dining. Would not hesitate to go back. Concierge was very helpful. The accomadating and VERY friendly front door staff was a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for being with us and for this wonderfully, excellent review of our resort and staff. This is a wonderful time to be in Scottsdale, with warm temps and plenty of sunshine, add spring training baseball, swimming pools and all there is to do around us, we are the perfect winter escape. We are glad you were able to escape winter with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

An early 70's property right across the entrance to Paradise Valley, it's understated elegance is immediately appreciated. The grounds are immaculate and so appropriate to a dessert resort, without being cliched. The lobby is understated and, though I don't dig the bead "fountain", the rest of the decor is comfortable and inviting. The rooms are ample and open to the patio with screen doors. What a pleasure. And just outside you have your won seating area semi hidden in the landscape.

We had had a quiet meeting room and breakfast and lunch were catered, but the food and service were simple but excellent. What I appreciated most, was the natural friendliness and knowledge of the staff. They all looked directly at you, smiled and anticipated if you were lost. If not they said good day and were about their business. That to me in the mark of a well trained staff.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor for maximum quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us and for this positive review of your stay at our resort. Last year we had a complete renovation of our guest rooms and lobby. We appreciate that you noticed and noted the improvements. We also appreciate and have passed on your compliments of our staff, who make all the difference. To further clarify for others, not all our guest rooms have patios, but our premium poolside rooms on the first floor do, so reserve them early as they are very popular. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to our area.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Arrived there on Valentine's Day after driving from San DIego we arrived at the hotel by 6:45pm. Greeted by the doorman on where to park and ask if we needed assistance with luggage.

Check in was smooth. It didn't look busy. Lobby is large, high ceilings w/ the Southwest look. Clean but kind of on the sterile side. Clerk checked us in quickly. Gave us the keys, mentioned where to go for the elevator to the room. Explained about Blue Fire Grille, breakfast, outdoor patio, pool and bar.

Rm 314. Located 3rd floor with a view of the inside courtyard, midway down from the elevator. Room was extremely spacious. Closet space was a bit small, but it had the usual robes , iron & board, plus the safe! Room very clean.

Bathroom: On the small side, but served it's purpose. Bathroom had the usual shower, marble vanity, magnifying mirror and hairdryer. Bathroom could have been bigger if they designed the room more functional

WiFi is free in the common areas. Never used it in the room.

Made coffee in the room every morning, but they serve complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby.

Dined in Blue Fire Grille outside in the patio and had several cocktails at the outdoor bar! Skye at the bar was very informative about the area.

The only outdated look I saw was at the elevators. Not really an attractive and inviting area.
I had some nice photos of the property but accidentally deleted them before downloading.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard has a nicer view than the parking lot, but make sure you have your window...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting our resort and for this positive review of your stay. We appreciate all your compliments and for how you explained your experience to all in such detail. We are proud of our history of once being owned by Merv Griffin, with many staff still here from those days. Our current ownership is The Procaccianti Group and they continue to invest capital into our resort. We do hope that we will see you again on your next trip to our area.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Beware, I was taken for a ride!

I really enjoyed my time at the Hilton Scottsdale Resort…everyone was GREAT. Well almost everyone!

I was looking to get a cab back to the airport so I went to the Bellman, he introduced himself as Scott. Scott said he can call a car for me that the wait would be 5 to 7 minuets. When the car arrived, Scott said the driver was Sonny and that he would take good care of me. I asked Scott how much will this cost me, Scott didn't directly answer my question but assured me Sonny would take care of me. Having to make a flight I entered the car.

I arrived to the Hilton with Yellow cab at a cost of $44.00 and I wish I would have gone back with Yellow, Sonny charged me $62.00, was very unpleasant and disrespectful. I was appalled that he had the audacity to use a cellphone while driving and didn't once wear his seat belt.

I was so pissed off I did not want to pay him, but I was running late and I had to catch me flight. I just wanted to warn EVERYONE about the Bellman Scott and his friend Sonny!! If you meet a driver named Sonny who drives a white town car or encounter a bellman named Scott at the Hilton Scottsdale...................BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being with us and for this feedback of your stay at our resort. We are glad that your stay went well overall and that "everyone was great". I apologize for the one exception to that compliment and have addressed it with the team member as well as our transportation company. We do contract resort transportation through a third party to ensure our guests a quality experience but in this case it was not delivered to you or to us. It has been addressed and hopefully will not prevent you from returning to our resort when your travels bring you back to our area.

Been to Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!