“A tad better than Motel 6 with lipstick” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #56 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Nevada
“A tad better than Motel 6 with lipstick”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ok, it is in great location and yes it has been recently renovated, has new flooring, beds etc & opened as a new howard Johnson, but that's it. Remember this is AZ, most of the rooms face east- hot from 7 a.m., the towels are thin, few power cords , no vent in bathroom, pillows are hard. There was no working security latch on the front door.
We tried to call the front desk that had been staffed by a very nice guy but for 15 -20 minutes there was no answer on their phones .
The breakfast area was the size of half a room with very limited options. My wife was traveling with me and I was frankly scared to leave her alone with the other characters that were most single guys with tattoos and questionable looks. Sorry but this is one place I would skip.

Room Tip: Select a room facing south.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson Scottsdale. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. We are very proud of our hotel and the total rennovation that was completed last winter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I planned a trip to play in a tournament in Scottsdale. I had friends who lived in Glendale, South Phoenix and Mesa. I didn't want most of my traveling to be in a car to/from my games. I opted for Howard Johnson on Indian School.

I normally stay with Hilton hotels, but this time around I was on a budget. When I came across Howard Johnson, I was a little skeptical of their $34.00/night room price. I read the recent reviews and felt I should take a chance. I am glad I did.

The location is right in the heart of Scottsdale. You are within walking distance to great shopping and restaurants. The staff here are friendly. The room was very nice. The bathroom was clean, there were complimentary toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion), a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. I did not have any noise issues here. The pool was okay. My daughter loved it at night since the lights change colors.

Since you're not spending very much for the rooms here, use your extra cash to get breakfast elsewhere. The complimentary breakfast entails oatmeal, toast, bagels, yogurt, muffins and cold cereal. No meats, no eggs here. Again, you're minutes away from excellent dining options.

I enjoyed my stay and would gladly return to this same HoJo for future stays in the Scottsdale area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review of the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. I am so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Nothing to write home about...but if you are looking for a convenient and clean motel for not a lot of money (hard to find in Scottsdale) this is a good place. It was apparently just renovated, and it was nicely done. The front desk clerk was very nice and friendly. He told me there was a free breakfast included, but I did not try it so I am unable to comment on that. The pool area is marginal at best, but I am sure the water would feel good enough in the summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson Old Town. I am glad your stay was a pleasant one. Our goal is to provide our guests with a great room at a great price. Please come back and see us again.
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

WOW......okay this might be a little winded but follow along. My wife and I travel quite a bit and its normal for us to do the red roof inn, best western and sometimes motel 6. we bypass the ultra fancy places preferring to spend our budget on resturants. Okay so we were making plans to travel to Scottsdale and decided to check out prices on Priceline. We were looking in the 60-80 price range which in the hot summer gets you a little better than Red Roof. But oh the horrible reviews everywhere. so then we run across this jem listed @ 34.00 bucks a night. normally even on a budget this price screams "run down-run away" But the reviews told a different story. So believing the reviews we took a chance and booked the room. First impression was our call to the front desk to reserve the room. Donna took our reservation and was so friendly and nice it almost seemed wrong. the kinda of friendliness that says "hey I am buying a ferrari for cash.These guys love me. Yeah serious that kinda of friendly. And it was the same on check in. Never.......... and in almost any interaction with people who work with the public have we been treated so well. Andrew also at the front desk actually brought menus to our room after we called to see who delivers in this area. ... The Manager Krystie truly cares about the travelers who stay here and has made sure her empolyees are the very best in customer service and its a total pleasure. The service is so good the place could have been a s**t hole and we would have been happy. Yeah its that good. But rest assured the place is exceptionally nice. Most places that we stay if you get a No Smoking Room" all thats seems to mean is recently No smoking" The smell of old smoke in the carpets and walls. Well not here. its all new. Carpet, paint. Beds everything. Super clean and smells awesome. And OH the beds......I can not even explain how soft and comfy these bed are.....No crappy thin pillows either....fat and fluffy........Was a total pleasure how quiet and laid back this place is......and I never call anyting perfect....but if the shoe fits.....super close to old town, good eats and bars everywhere...perfect.........So HONESTLY due yourself a favor dont be scared by the $34.00 price tag......just pretend its $60.00-$70.00 a night and you will be impressed. and best of all its really not.....

Room Tip: *also includes a free continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful review about the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. I am so pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I hope this will be the first of many visits to our hotel!
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, while touring Arizona, it has been newly updated it is clean and modern, with a fridge and microwave. The pool area is very nice with plenty of sunbeds we stayed there in June so the pool was really appreciated. Breakfast was continental style with plenty of choice, cereals bagels fruit yogurt coffee. The staff were polite and helpful, and I would stay there again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Howard Johnson's Scottsdale. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Stayed here for a quick getaway. Was clean, newly renovated. Would stay here again. No hot breakfast, but it was enough. Cold cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, muffins, juice, coffee. Walking distance to lots of restaurants/shops.

Room Tip: We were close to the office, near the street, but didn't hear any noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Michelle S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
We appreciate your review of our property and are very happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel hits all the marks. Service, room quality and rate. I stayed here for several weeks while looking for a new home in the area. The hotel was just a few weeks old when I checked in so everything was brand new from the staff right down to the sheets. Everything exceeded my expectations of what I thought a hotel of this brand was going to be. Those old enough to remember when HoJo's all had orange roofs will know that things have changed over the years.
The rooms are quiet, comfortable and well suited for a few nights or, in my case, a few weeks. I can't speak enough about the staff. Everyone made me feel like a special guest and like I was at "home". In the end, isn't that really what a hotel should feel like?

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Michelle S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for your review! We love hearing how much you enjoyed your time here with us and are pleased to know you were happy with the renovation/new ownership/management and staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town? Share your experiences!