“Value/Not Resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale

Save Saved
You added Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale to your Saves list
Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7677 E Princess Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85255 (North Scottsdale)   |
Ranked #60 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Chicago, Illinois
“Value/Not Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family (two adults/two teenagers)just spent 6 nights at the Zona Hotel & Suites. As a 30 year hotel management veteran, I can tell you that Zona is an excellent location (N Scottsdale); a value in a resort location for what you receive (apartment-style living), but it is NOT a resort. I think that there is a misunderstanding from its on-line images and verbiage that it is something it is not. That said, if you can overlook the lack of elevators (3 story apt complex); the lead-footed people living above you (ask for the 3rd floor); the uncomfortable sleeper couch (we should have asked for an additional bedroom ($$$$);the apartments that have not been refurbished, you WILL begin to realize that the location, swimming pools, provided towels poolside, fair/decent small food service, fully outfitted kitchens, and most of all and most important to a hotel operation-the excellent staff who "try" their hardest to please given the property that have to deal with, you can come to appreciate Zona for what its name says, a "hotel and suites (really apartments)" nicely manicured and managed property. If you are seeking a 5 star experience, go elsewhere. Overall, Zona is complimentary to families, golf-buddy vacations and small corporate meetings.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room, definitely 3rd floor if you can manage short set of stairs. If planning o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shaun B, Manager at Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear CityMike2039,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I always enjoy hearing from our guests, but certainly from an expert within the industry.

I am very pleased to hear your overall stay was enjoyable and your family enjoyed the time with us. You very clearly understand our position in the market. We are not trying to compete with the 5 star resort properties (with 5 star prices) that surround our area. We aim to provide a quality product at a quality price and give travelers a great value option in North Scottsdale. There are certain structural nuances, as you mentioned, but we do our very best to control the controllable's and place our best "service" foot forward at all times.

We will continue with our room upgrades through the remainder of this year and next and hope you will see nothing but positive changes on future visits. Thank you so much for being our guest and I sincerely hope to see you again in the future.

Warm Regards,

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Czech first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

When I made the reservation I was told we would be getting a junior suite. They called to confirm our reservation a week before checking in and I was then told we were getting a one bedroom suite. I didn't argue so imagine our surprise when we got to the room and found we had received a 2 bedroom suite for just my husband and myself. Really liked the location of the room and the huge walk out patio. Unfortunately the stay was at the end of our vacation as we had stayed in Mesa for 5 days before. I wished we had longer than 2 days at this hotel. The people at the front desk were kind and professional, the pools were very nice, no compaints about the room and the breakfast we had at Graze was very good.

Dear Roez5859,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased to hear your overall stay was enjoyable and only apologize you were not able to stay longer.

I am sorry to hear of the initial confusion regarding the room reservations. This typically does not happen when the reservation is booked directly with the hotel so I would be curious to know how the reservation was made to hopefully avoid future conflict. I am, however, glad to hear our front desk staff was accommodating and courteous upon your arrival despite the initial confusion.

Your compliments on our accommodations, service and offerings are greatly appreciated. I hope you will consider Zona on a future stay where you have more time to fully enjoy the property and the surrounding area.

Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The rooms are actually old apartments, so they have a kitchen and living space. All rooms are accessible by stairs, so keep this in mind if you have mobility issues. The rooms are furnished with low-end furniture and not esthetically pleasing, but there is plenty of room. The complex has four different pools, each with a spa, and the grounds appear to be well maintained.

Dear WickedThistle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel here on Trip Advisor. As a senior contributor on Trip Advisor and presumably among the well-traveled, your feedback is very important to us. I am glad to hear your overall stay was pleasant and the room accommodations provided ample space for you and your family.

You are absolutely correct in that the property was originally built as an apartment complex but was converted into a hotel in the years to follow. The design provides us the distinct advantage of spacious rooms to accommodate groups and families of all sizes. We do have areas in the hotel where rooms are ground level and no stairs are required. However if the stairs are not a deterrent, there is no better value in town and that will continue to be the case as we finish working through our room upgrade process!

I hope you returned home safely and thank you and your family for choosing Zona for your Scottsdale travels. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We arrived for a 3 night stay. We arrived at 3 and our room was not ready, so we left to get something to eat. We returned after 4 and it still was not ready. Finally they got us a room. It was very large, so that was nice. However, the staff checking us in were VERY inexperienced, slow, incompetent, and could not answer questions about the property. When we arrived in the room all we saw was VERY LOW quality..... outlets were ripped out, outlets did not work, lightbulbs were missing, some lights didn't work, not enough towels or toiletries, and furniture that is wobbly and falling apart. It was unbelievable. We couldn't use the closet because it literally smelled like dirty baby diapers -- and that smell NEVER went away so we kept the closet shut and never put anything in it. Then when we were at the pool area dogs came in there and we knew the signs said NO PETS ALLOWED except service dogs, and these were NOT service dogs. The dog even jumped up on 2 guests and they ended up leaving!! So I called the front desk and they said they would handle it..... after 30 minutes I called again. The rude front desk staff said that it was fine and they were allowed!!! They don't even know their own signs!!! We were disgusted by the place and the lack of professionalism in ALL aspects of the staff. It was such a waste of money!!! We hated it and couldn't wait to leave. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!!!!!!!!! You will be disappointed that you spent your money here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shaun B, Manager at Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear FamilyTraveler4-12,

I am terribly sorry to hear of the challenges you had during your stay with us. We have much higher standards for service and quality of our product than which you received. I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you directly to better understand the details of your stay in an effort to correct any shortcomings and provide resolution to you and our future guests. At your convenience of course, please feel free to contact me directly at sbaker@zonascottsdale.com. You did not receive the overall experience we aim to provide but I hope to affect your last impression.

pueblo, Co
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Zona. We were both very disappointed. We arrived late on Monday for a 5 night stay (10 209) Check in was very easy and quick, but there were no soft warm cookies like we get at other resorts. The resort is in a very good location no traffic or siren noise, easy to find and get to from the 101. The grounds are well maintained and there is plenty of parking. Our disappointment came when we got to our room, it was small very small, one king bed one small lounge chair a desk and chair, two dressers (one in the closet area) and a very small dorm size refrigerator. When we called to up-grade to a larger room we were told informed the hotel was at capacity and we would not be able to up-grade. We should have checked out and went to a different hotel, by the end of our 5 night stay the room seemed unbearably small.
The room was clean and bed comfortable but the maid missed our room on the third day, we called the desk they did not have a maid available so our room didn't get cleaned, but maintenance did bring us clean towels. The products in bath were nice but they only got refilled once in 5 days, not a big problem my wife always brings her own but I use the products from the hotel so the two small bottles lasted most of the week. On the day with no maid service I changed out the TP roll, after the maids next visit I noticed the spare roll had not been replaced. One of the lights over the vanity was out during our entire stay and the bathroom door would not close all the way. This was not my idea of a 4 star resort. The Zona may be a good hotel for the business traveler but for a vacation traveler I would suggest getting a suite, the standard room is just that standard. For the price we were charged I would not recommend the Zona and on future visits we will spend our money somewhere else, maybe somewhere with a complementary breakfast.

Room Tip: request a room on the third floor. In our second floor room we could hear the person above us gettin...
Dear pjc320,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. As a regular contributor your feedback is very important to us.

I appreciate the time you took to comment on both the positive and constructive components of your stay. I am very sorry to hear the room accommodations you had did not suit the needs of your visit but whole heartedly agree a 1 bedroom suite would have provided the necessary comfort. The oversights and nonfunctioning items in the room are inexcusable and should have been proactively addressed by our staff. Please,of course always feel encouraged to inform us of any challenges during your stay and we can ensure they are resolved right away.

If you find yourself in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly at sbaker@zonascottsdale.com and I would enjoy the opportunity to work with you directly to ensure a more pleasurable experience.

Shoreline, Wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The grounds are very nice. The resort is just east of the Princess Resort. Room had a full kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. Room was a bit dated, but not bad. Graze serves very good food and drinks!

Room Tip: Upper floor and not over a pool area - gets loud at night!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shaun B, Manager at Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear SweetLou63,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on Trip Advisor. As a senior contributor and assumingly among the well-traveled, your feedback is very important to me and the entire hotel. I am pleased to hear your overall stay was enjoyable and I appreciate you providing the details.

While I may have a bias opinion, the value in our product, offerings and location are second to none in the area! Your affirmation is terribly reassuring and I hope we not only met, but exceeded your expectations. On a return trip I would suggest a room on the renovated side of the hotel for an even bigger bang for your buck! Our restaurant operations will be grateful to receive your blessing and I'm excited you enjoyed your experience there as well.

I hope you have returned home safely and that we have the opportunity to host you again on a future stay.

Whetstone, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

When we first arrived and got to our room, it wasn't cleaned yet (it was after 4:00 p.m.) so we were then assigned to a two-bedroom suite. Very nice. It was a great location and we enjoyed our stay. The only thing we would have changed were the beds. Good thing we had two beds to choose from because more than one person in the bed and you are sinking to the middle. This may have been an isolated instance of this particular room though. But overall, a good stay. The three pool areas were very nice and the spas were great as well. The staff were friendly so no complaints there.

Dear 350TravelingFool,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear your overall stay was enjoyable and above expectations.

I am sorry to hear the initial room type you reserved was not available at our guaranteed check-in time, but conversely very pleased to hear our staff training went into immediate action. Our two bedroom suite accommodations provide ample comfort for parties of most any size. Your confirmation is reassuring. I am sorry to hear of the challenges with the bedding but can certainly assure you the concern is isolated. At your convenience, I would greatly appreciate any additional you can give me regarding the specific room information so I can ensure the matter is resolved as promptly as possible. I can be contacted directly at sbaker@zonascottsdale.com.

I hope your travels bring you back to beautiful North Scottsdale and, of course, would love to be your host.

Been to Zona Hotel & Suites Scottsdale? Share your experiences!