The Residence Inn Scottsdale appears to be pretty typical for this class and brand of hotel. But, over a 5-day stay, I was impressed with the above-average quality of the stay experience.
A J.W. it is not. But it is a basic, reasonably priced hotel that is clean, surprisingly quiet, good attention to detail, attracts a good class of guests and has a great location.
Located just north of Old Scottsdale, the Residence has a very central location to all of Scottsdale and Phoenix. So everything in town is a pretty reasonable drive.
This location also gives you great restaurant choices close-by, even within easy walking distance. There also is a Walgreens and a Trader Joe’s within a one city-block walk if you want groceries or snacks for your kitchen. Veneto Trattoria, literally across the street, may be one the best and most authentic Italian restaurants in town. Up the street to the north are several other options, including a nice wine bar and a Fogo de Chao.
Parking at the Residence is plentiful. If you need a rental car, the Doubletree, a half mile down Scottsdale road, has an Avis facility. The front desk can get you a cab on 10 or 15 minute notice mid-day. A ride to the airport is $30, plus tip.
Being right on Scottsdale Road, you might be concerned about road noise. But, don’t be. My room, in the main building, was as exposed as you can get, 40 feet from the road and right over the front door. But the hotel has double-paned windows, and I had no problems, even with my side of the bed three feet from the window. I also think there is very little truck traffic on Scottsdale Road, which makes a big difference. Other buildings at the property are better removed from the street, so you shouldn’t expect any noise problems.
The clientele seems to be quiet as well. During my stay, it was predominantly a combination of business travelers and retirees.
My room was very clean. Linens and towels were all nice and above average for this class of hotel. The bed was just-right firm, with plenty of pillows and good cover options. The kitchen and bathroom were both spotless. Hot water was plentiful. My only gripe is that water pressure was weak. Shower head height was adequate, not great, for a six-footer. It was about eye-level for me. Although, the tub had a nice non-slip bottom.
The bathroom set-up is good for a couple. The sink and counter are outside the toilet and tub, so she can be doing her hair while you’re in the shower.
The free breakfast was pretty basic and adequate, although doesn’t vary much day-to-day. The breakfast meat selection flips daily between turkey Canadian bacon slices and sausage patties. Sometimes there are biscuit sandwiches or pancakes. Every day you have scrambled eggs, potatoes, cereals, muffins, bagels, make-your-own waffles, yogurt and one kind of cut fresh fruit, along with bananas and apples.
The workout room is pretty basic, with a couple treadmills and elipticals. There are some free weights, but no bench.
The pool looks nice, but I was there during a cold snap, so didn’t use it.
It’s hard to be too effusive over a basic hotel. But the Residence Inn Scottsdale is a solid performer that delivers an above-average experience for this class of hotel. If you travel much, you know that’s not always a given. If you are traveling to Scottsdale on a budget, this is a great place to stay.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley Hotel
- Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley Hotel Scottsdale
- Residence Inn Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Residence Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the newly renovated Residence Inn by Marriott Scottsdale Paradise Valley. Each spacious studio and two bedroom suite features a modern kitchen, complete with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances; multifunctional "great room" area including flat panel TVs; comfortable home office work station with the latest in technology including complimentary wireless high-speed Internet access; and luxurious linen. Guests can make themselves at home throughout the day in our brand new lobby with a large high-definition TV, free wireless internet access, and complimentary hot breakfast buffet and evening socials. Enjoy year-round sunshine in the heart of Scottsdale, AZ, minutes from Old Town Scottsdale's fine dining, night clubs, art galleries and world-class shopping. The area is also popular for hiking, biking, horseback riding and over 200 golf courses. All this just 12 miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport! Pets are always welcome. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Venere, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.