This is a lovely hotel with amazingly beautiful grounds. The different pool areas and lagoons situated near the golf course provide gorgeous scenery. We happened to be fortunate enough to enjoy perfect warm and sunny weather for the February week that we stayed so my son was in the pool every day.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly and we were upgraded to a room with a quiet location and a lagoon view upon arrival at no extra cost. The room was an adequate size to share with our son, a little tight but definitely liveable. We booked the Regency Club amenities which were convenient especially in the morning - food was adequate, nothing special but plenty of fresh fruit, breads and cereals (nothing hot unless you count using the toaster for bagels). The coffee was good though! In the afternoons they provide rather uninspired snacks such as granola and dried fruit, and the moderately priced self serve bar was on the honor system with sign up sheets for name/room numbers. This seemed a bit unsafe to me since anyone could see your name and room number and copy it on their form. All the Regency Club food offerings were exactly the same every day except for one evening when they had a special chef - it would have been nice to have a little variation! I guess they mostly cater to short stay guests who wouldn't notice :-) The Southwest Bistro restaurant is pretty reasonably priced and the food is good. It's very pleasant to sit outside to dine. The fancier restaurant was okay, probably not worth the extra money though.
We were at the hotel during a quiet time. Judging by other reviews, I think it might be less pleasant to be there with a convention happening - best to check if you are looking for peace and relaxation.
By the way, we found that we got wireless access outside on our balcony so we never needed to pay for that. Also there are two computers in the Regency Club.
The location is great for shopping, restaurants and visiting Old Town (a little depressing - not much to see there except shops with cowboy type apparel and art, lots of closed businesses). I did not go into the mall although it looked nice from the outside - lots of high end shops if that is your thing. You will want to rent a car though or use the hotel shuttle. Park yourself at night to save money.
We took one long day trip to the Wild Animal Park on the way to Sedona. It was pretty amazing! I also attended the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show which was awesome. The Green Zebra Tomcar trip was fun but the drive to and from was way too long and the cost was too expensive and for those reasons I can't recommend it. Our guide was really nice though. Apparently the best areas that they usually visit were inaccessible due to flooding. If you go, you will get very, very dusty so wear old clothing! The Frank Loyd Wright Taliesin site was well worth the visit.
The reason I took points off for value/rooms is that it is very expensive if you don't get a "deal".
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort And Spa At Gainey Ranch Hotel Scottsdale
- Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort And Spa At Gainey Ranch Hotel
- Hyatt Regency Scottsdale
- Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort
- Hyatt Scottsdale
- Hyatt Gainey Ranch
- Scottsdale Hyatt
- Gainey Ranch
- Hyatt Gainey Ranch Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst flowering cactus, breathtaking sunsets and framed against the majestic McDowell Mountains, Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa features a 2 1/2-acre "water playground", 27 holes of championship golf, world-class tennis, Spa, the Native American Learning and Environmental Center, an international art collection and four distinctively different restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Amex, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Orbitz, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.