“Won't stay here again - pretty average.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch

You added Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7500 E Doubletree Ranch Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine on Sale
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
lovetraveltips
“Won't stay here again - pretty average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We chose the Hyatt Gainey because with kids you need great pools. Even though the resort boasts 10 pools, be mindful that there is only one "large" family pool and most are smaller lap pools. The kids enjoyed the slide but complained of the slime in the access pathway. We all enjoyed the water volleyball nets and basketball hoop. Poolside service was pretty non-existent in that plastic cups and leftover food plates were left for quite some time. A highlight was poolside S'mores on Friday night.

Our biggest disappointment was that the resort did not provide timely and adequte water poolside. With temps above the 100 degree range around 9am we asked when iced water jugs would be available. We were told around 10:30am-11:00am, but was offered water bottles at $2.50/bottle. A little unconscionable in my opinion. The pool needs serious maintenance as mold along the pool tiles was heavily present. Hair, bandaids, and general pool funk was found in the main larger pool.

The SWA restaurant was actually pretty good and didn't really find were in line with some of the reviews present. Rooms were adequate for a family although consider getting two adjoining rooms if traveling with older kids as the room sizes are small. The resort has a convention feel and was VERY busy during the weekend. Music in the evenings was good. If you want atmosphere this is not the resort to consider. Consider the Four Seasons (amazing resort for couples). We will not stay at the Hyatt Gainey again even though it was an average stay and will consider some of the other resorts in town in the future.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed there with our 3 teenagers for 1 night 2 days ago. We had just been to Arches National Park, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon and were heading off to our next destination on our Summer Road Trip. We arrive @ 2:30 pm and the room isn't ready yet. They say they will call me on my cell as soon as the room is ready. When I ask if they know how long it will be they tell me: "No idea. Could be 10 mins or could be more than an hour." No attempt to phone housekeeping to try and find out, mind you. But no problem, as their check in time is 4 pm, so technically we were early. So I ask the bellman (actually, bellboy as he was maybe 17) if the bags are stored in a locked area and he assures me they are so I give him $5 and ask him to make sure they are because my laptop is among the bags and I don't want to carry it around the resort for the next possibly 1.5 hours while we are waiting for our room. We then go and spend $40 on drinks in the lobby lounge. There we are waited on by a waitress that did not smile once and clearly gave us the impression that we were interfering with her conversation with the bartender. After about 20 mins I realize I've left my cell in my laptop bag so I go back to the lobby - only to see our luggage (including my laptop bag) sitting on the cart off to the side of the bellman desk. Several of the older inside bellman are standing about 20 ft from it with their backs to it. I just walk up and take the laptop bag. No one even questions me. While I should have said something at that point, I don't. But I'm now officially unimpressed. So, 4:30 arrives and still no phone call. I've never had to wait past the check in time for a room before, so I call the front desk and ask to speak to the front desk manager. She is very pleasant, apologizes profusely and takes 50% of our room rate. Says that she will "make sure" the cot we ordered ahead of time is in the room when we get to it. I think about mentioning the laptop bag, but given her offer of the discount, I just let it go, again. Oh, and the room was ready by the way and had been for sometime...they just hadn't bothered to call us. We then get to the room low and behold, no cot. Now I know what you're thinking - big deal, no cot, just call down and get it already. But honestly, this was the proverbial straw to my camelback (those of you who know Phoenix will get the joke). I called the front desk manager again and this time said to her that I had been in the hotel a total of 3 hours by that point and had yet to receive even an acceptable level of service from anyone but her - and even she hadn't done what she said she was going too. And the service just continued that way. The waiter in the restaurant was no different than the waitress in the lounge. We were just an annoyance. The busboy - and I am not exaggerating here - literally poured water on my son while filling his glass and just walked away without saying anything.
Now, in the interests of journalistic fairness, if you don't care less how bad the service is and you just want a fabulous pool - then this is your hotel. We've stayed at lots of nicer resorts (Fairmonts, Four Seasons, Westins, to name a few) and I have to say that this is probably the nicest pool area of any of them. There are multiple smaller pools arranged around and between two larger ones, with a dedicated adult pool. While I've seen nicer landscaping, the way it is integrated with the pool area is truly impressive. Oh, and the rooms were nice too.
On balance, the service gives you the impression the place is run by surly teenagers - but surly teenagers with a nice pool.

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

The resort is ok, pool area pretty unique and very, very large. The staff is very friendly, except at the Bar in the evening. I would go back there, but not over weekends. Then the resort is completely crowded and all pools are actually over-crowded. No wonder... at 115F ...
I strongly advise to book superior rooms. We had a superior room with a very nice view. The size of our room was ok. Our kids (3) were staying in a standard double bed room and that room was rather small. If you go there with your family make sure to book the resort bed and breakfast rate. Much better deal then to pay every morning for the rather expensive bfst. Open air parking is free. Covered parking is only with valet (pretty expensive).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
fort worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

You will find a real gem. They put on a great forth of July firework show. Every person from the valet to the sweet maids that get to know your coming and going are great

Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I stayed for three days and had a wonderful time. The hotel is spacious, with lovely grounds and a fantastic series of swimming pools. It even has a lap pool! Also, a beach with real sand at one end of the family pool and a great water slide.
My room was clean, nicely decorated and comfortable. Good quality fixtures in the bathroom with a large shower.
My sister and I ate at the two restaurants and the food was excellent.
Service was generally excellent.
My only complaint; smoking allowed in the adult pool and there were a few cigarette and cigar butts left lying around.
I would definetly go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Had a great time with family at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch. Resort is beautiful with great pools, restaurants, entertainment and service. Room was very clean. We absolutely loved our time spent here and definitely would like to return!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We went to this hotel for a conference. Be forwarned, if you are not used to the Arizona heat you better get used to it. While our room and the conference rooms were cool, the lobby and hallways were sweltering but that was no big deal to us.
We got the impression that because of the looks of the hotel, that the service would be top notch. Boy, were we wrong.
Upon checking in the gentleman training a very nice girl asked if I wanted a spa menu. I said sure and he looked and said, "Sorry, we seem to be all out." Again, no big deal.
Also, I must say that all the staff was very friendly and polite (except two women in concierge)... it was follow through that lacked.
We were there 7 days so we got to know the limited menu in the lobby bar very well- their Cosmo is great! Also try the sushi when they have it- we love sushi and enjoyed it here very much.
One night we were seated in the south western restuarant off the lobby and were NEVER served after sitting for over 20 mins. We received menues, and water but no wait staff came by and it was almost empty in there. A lot of employees seemed to notice us though. It was almost like we were on Candid Camera. We had a meeting to attend so we had to go without eating until afterward when there was only the lobby bar open with their limited grazing menu.
Also, I called to ask why every door had a paper in the morning. "Because you have to request it" was the answer from the front desk. So I requested a paper. Not once did we recieve one.
We also went in to concierge to ask about the shuttle to the mall and we were given conflicting information. No big deal as we got there and the driver was just about the nicest guy. (Why we were the only one to tip him baffled me.) My husband walked into concierge another time while I stood at the door. One woman at the first desk got up, turned her back to him and stood and chatted to the man at the desk behind her. It could not have been a ruder gesture. My husband then waited for another woman to be free and when she was I noticed that she was leaning and acting kind of like he was annoying her. I asked him and he said she was not exactly rude but not real nice.
Then came the last day when we needed to rent a car to look at a property. There was no one at the Hertz counter. He was told by concierge, "He is just one guy. He is probably off washing cars. He will be back at 2:00." We waited. My husband went down at 2:00 and waited for a over a half hour but nobody returned to the Hertz counter so he finally came up to get me and we had to take a car service to get to our appointment. It was almost $300.
The night before we were to leave, I wanted to write a letter and leave it with management. "Stationary in back of this book" said the information page. No, there was no stationary, so I scrawled my complaints on the back of a business handout and we called for a wake up call as we were leaving very early to catch the one direct flight out. We were promised TWO calls. The first call came and she said she would call back in 10 mins and did not. We almost overslept.
The last straw was when we were leaving I handed in my letter to the front desk to give to management. I had written that I had expected a reply. Well, it is almost a month later and we never heard a thing. So much for service.
Also, if you have a room configured like ours, here is a tip. The AC vent blew directly on our heads at night so you can move the louvers in the vent to make it less annoying. While I loved the crisp white sheets that enveloped the blanket (nice and clean), unlike a few other reviewers we found the bed uncomforable after a few days.
And, oh, this is a hotel that charges for internet service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch? Share your experiences!