You added Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7500 E Doubletree Ranch Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunshine on Sale
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency hotel for 3 nights. This was our first step in a long trip from Phoenix to Sedona - Monument Valley - Las Vegas.

Actually, we only had basic expectations :
- Have a short rest after an 18 hours / 3 planes trip
- Start to recover a bit from our stressful lifebefore reaching Sedona & Monument Valley.

Well, the guys @the Hyatt simply astonished us. As far as both me and my wife can remember, we've rarely met such a good level of service.
Every single waiter, maid, valet, front desk employee was pleasant and helpful.
They went far beyond our expectations.

Now to the resort itself :
-The room
We've booked a simple room out there. It was large enough for the two of us. Mattress was good. So the bathroom. The guys provided quality shampoo, shower caps, body lotions and toothpaste on a daily basis. They only gave up re adding some more when they saw that we were not even using half of these items.
The entire room was clean and the wifi speed was fair.
The AC can be noisy but you can stop it. In cas you'd be bored with the AC noise and just can't handle the wall mounted remote, note that in case you'd open the window the AC would automatically stop.

- Check in & Check out process.
Smiles, fast process, complimentary margarita, no issues with the bill.
What else ?

-Swimming Pools (water Garden)
Maybe were we lucky ? However there was quite enough space there and guests were not packed in the swimming pools. By the way, most swimming pools were large, delivered a very pleasant design and were clean. As soon as we started having a sunbath, somone took care of us andthen we could get access to a long list of food and beverages at decent prices.

-Restaurants
We only ate twice at the SWB. Prices were correct and the food was good. Good service.

- Canyon Market
Delivers hot and cold beverages,sandwiches, salads, daily organic offerings 24 hours a day.
Very efficient staff & special greeting to the guy there who always tried to find a nice word in our native tongue.
A little but pricey (well, almost $6 for a naked orange juice is getting pricey to me).

-Parking
Valets are polite and efficient (around $30/night). Self parking is free, large and convenient enough.

- Location
Phoenix is about 15 minutes away and there is litterally nothing less than 5 mins away. So we defintly recommend you to have a car if you're planning on visting malls, scottsdale oldtown or anything like that.

- Overall
Even tho' there are only about 500 rooms, the resort is huge and pleasant enough so that my wife and I had some relaxing "promenades" around the lake, the gardens, water gardens, lake shores at sunset.
Thanks to a well thought layout providing good perspectives and hiding most parts of the main building.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thank you very much for providing such a detailed review of our resort. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa with other readers. Thank you for noticing our friendly staff, dining amenities and housekeeping practices. We strive to provide an excellent experience for our guests and are very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Mesquite
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because the hotel where I typically stay (the Ritz-Carlton) was booked. What a disappointment. I was in town for three days of back-to-back business calls, and arrived at the hotel after a long day. Upon walking in, the hotel looked very dated. It was a hot day, and since the lobby doors stay open, it was hot inside.

I checked in with no problems, and found my room. Not particularly impressive...surprised there was only a shower and no tub. The first thing I did was turn the air way down because the room was stifling hot. I started to unpack and put my things away. After about fifteen minutes, I realized it was still hot. No cold air. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. No one came. I called again, just as the maintenance person showed up. He proceeded to take the a/c apart, emptying bucket upon bucket of water into the toilet, while talking about debris in the a/c. I asked him how long it would take, but he couldn't say for sure. I then called the front desk and asked for another room. To their credit, they did sent someone up shortly to help me move. Unfortunately, I had to repack everything first. The a/c man was very interested in finding out what my new room number was, as he wanted to check and make sure the a/c was working. I'm wondering if this is a problem throughout the hotel? If so, very bad, since it's summertime in Arizona.

The new room overlooked a roof...no view at all, but I was deliriously happy that it had a cold and working a/c. I unpacked for the second time. About an hour later, the maintenance man knocked on my door with an ice bucket and bottles of water and juice to apologize for the inconvenience.

I had a hard time sleeping...the pillows were surprisingly uncomfortable, and the sheets not of the quality you would expect from a good hotel. I got up about 2 a.m. to use the bathroom, and, upon turning the light on and walking in, found a huge cockroach on the bathroom floor. Grossed out beyond belief, I slammed the Hyatt directory book on it and left it there. The next morning, on my way out for a day of meetings, I stopped by the front desk to let them know about the a/c problems, and the cockroach. They apologized and I was offered a free night's stay during another trip. I declined, as that did not interest me in the least. I had heard that this hotel had a great spa, so I asked about a spa treatment. They then offered me a $125 credit to be used there, and I took them up on it. They also said they would send someone up right away to remove the cockroach.

When I returned at the end of my day, I had a bottle of wine and a cheese and fruit plate on my desk, along with a card apologizing for the "unfortunate incident," which I assumed was the roach (yes, it was gone). My room had not yet been cleaned, so I called downstairs and they said housekeeping cleaned until 5:30pm, I believe. That seemed late to me, and it was almost that time already. I had a 5:45 pm spa appointment, and asked that my room be cleaned while I was gone. The spa was very nice, but I still ended up paying $70 myself, even after the $125 credit for a massage. Much pricier than massages I have had at equally nice spas. When I returned from the spa, my room was STILL not cleaned up. I went downstairs to the lobby and told them. They said they would send someone right away. I walked around the resort for awhile, and when I returned, someone had made up the bed, and laid fresh toiletries on the bathroom sink. The ironing board and iron was still up, and nothing had really been cleaned or even freshed up.

I was happy to check out the next morning, and be on my way. The point of this review? I'm in customer service myself, and I know you don't get many chances (if any) if you screw up. Although it appears this hotel is skilled at making nice gestures (which I appreciated), why are these kinds of things happening in the first place? If the hotel is in Arizona, shouldn't they be checking the a/c? If there's a bug problem, shouldn't it be fixed? And why would housekeeping miss cleaning a room where the guest had already experienced two bad incidents? All the make-up gifts in the world won't compensate for that.

Very disappointed in my stay. I'll remember to reserve my room at the Ritz earlier the next time I'm in town, to make sure I can stay there. There's a reason they are the champions of Gold Standard service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
We are very disappointed to read about your dissatisfaction with your stay. Although we are pleased you found our gestures thoughtful, we strive for all of our guests to have a superb experience at our resort and appreciate you bringing our attention to any areas you felt needed improvement. We look forward to sharing your comments with our staff to address every observation. We truly appreciate you visiting us and hope you will return in the future for a much more typical and enjoyable experience at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights for a little breather before going to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas our first time. We had a great time and the resort was superb. Everything from complimentary margaritas to the pool and elliptical bike rentals was grand.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for visiting us during your trips to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas! We appreciate your positive review of our resort and hope to see you again during future trips to Arizona.
Edina, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

An older but quality family friendly resort. One of the better resorts in town. The layout is confusing but understandable after the initial confusion. The garden pool is a fun maze. Kids will love it. Adults will love it too for sun bathing, bar and cafe, and lovers lane nooks day and night. The lobby bar with open patio is comfortable. The full flavor of the lobby bar/patio comes out at night with live bands. Being an older resort, rooms are bigger and comfortable. Beds tend to be soft. If you like firm beds, ask for a bed board in advance.

• Stayed May 2012
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa! We appreciate you choosing our resort and taking the time to provide a review. Thank you for your kind words, it makes our day! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful property, gardens and pool. I was very impressed by the service.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide a review! We are glad you enjoyed the gardens and pool. We hope to see you again during your next trip to Scottsdale!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at this gorgeous hotel with 10 pools overnight Friday to Saturday for our Anniversary on Sat. We were immediately upgraded to a large king room for our anniversary. Their was a knock at the door and someone delivered a bottle of Champagne and a tray of Truffles as a special gift for our special day. Then another came and turned down our bed. And we were given a 2PM checkout. We were treated like royalty. They definitely are superb when it comes to customer service.
There was a Native American Dance in the center courtyard right below our room which was also quite enjoyable to watch.
Our only complaint was that the air conditioner in the room was broken and the repair guy came out 3 times to fix it and when we left, there was still 85 degree heat coming out of the AC. Each time they came to fix it, it would work for a short time and then quit again. The repair technician did say we could be moved to a different room but we were checking out. The technician told us the manager said he would buy us breakfast for the inconvenience. I am not sure if it was taken off our bill or not as I have not received a final bill yet because the front desk was extremely busy at 1PM with early check ins so we just dropped off the keys.
I would definitely say this is an upper end resort and you get what you pay for! I recommend you call the hotel for the best deal. We used a free reward night or probably would have been upset if we paid full price for this room with the broken air and 95+ degree weather! You will receive top rate service from all!!
Food and drinks were all very good as well and a pretty reasonable rate for a resort!

Room Tip: Ask for room in main courtyard for a magnificent view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Happy anniversary! Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to provide a review. We are thrilled to read you found our customer service and activities enjoyable. We apologize for any inconvenience the air conditioner caused and appreciate you notifying our staff promptly so we could repair it. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you during future anniversary celebrations!
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt recently for 5 nights for a conference. We went out early to enjoy the hotel and pool for a few days before the conference began. I will say, the service at this hotel is excellent. Friendly staff who looked generally happy to help out, which goes a long way. The hotel lobby and grounds are absolutely amazing - - really beautiful, well manicured, etc. We enjoyed the "adults only" pool, which was relaxing with great pool side service for drinks and food. Our reservation included breakfast at the SWB restaurant and I have to say - it was really good! I would also add that the conference space was good and the food was good (not always the case at conference).
Here are a few observations to make this wonderful hotel truly 5 star- I thought the rooms needed more storage space for clothes. Not enough drawer space for 2 people and not enough hangers in the closet. Also, I thought the water pressure was weak, but it's the desert so I don't know if that is standard for the Scottsdale area. Finally, I thought it was strange that the bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan.
None of these minor issues should stop you from staying here - I only mention it because in my opinion, once you start charging $400+ per night for a hotel room, it better be perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GDPScottsdale, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your positive comments about our staff, property grounds and restaurants! We appreciate your observations about the storage and bathroom amenities and will consider what we can do to correct them. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa, we look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch? Share your experiences!