“Tiny oasis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Victoria, Canada
“Tiny oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The first time we drove by this motel we missed it completely. Set on a very busy road between an exotic car dealership and a huge pink mall you can't really see anything from the road except a fairly small sign. We knew from the map we were close so we stopped and asked for directions and a couple of u turns and we were there! When we parked the car we were quite uncertain this was the place for us as the traffic was noisy and it backed onto a massage parlour! However as we entered the gate into the property our feelings changed. The motel must have been there for a long time because the trees and palm trees that adorn the area around the pool are very mature and provide lovely shade. The pool was very nice and the aviary with the song birds provide a nice sound to wake up to in the morning. Our room was 108 right at the pool gate and while quite ordinary as motel rooms go it was very clean and I don't know what mattresses they have but we want one! We have never slept as well as we did in that room. We did have a knock on the door at 2AM our first night from a pizza delivery guy but that was the only glitch. The motel is just a block from Scottsdale Road which gets you to the old town in about 5 minutes in the car to the left and to the right will get you to Mesa or Tempe in about 20. It is also about 20 minutes from Phoenix airport. 15 minutes will get you to the Talking Stick casino and there are Frys grocery stores everywhere. The big windows in the room do not open but there is a wooden piece above the door that does so we left that open all day and at night we put on the ceiling fan so it was great. We will definitely stay there again as it was close to everything, the best sleep we have ever had, and floating in the pool listening to the birds singing surrounded by green grass and big trees and palm trees really made it seem like a desert oasis!

Room Tip: We were in 108 on the first floor but heard nothing from the room above or the rooms on either side...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I read many of the reviews, positive and negative, of this place. While I admit the word " Resort" in the name suggests a sprawling campus with lush amenities, use common sense and think about what you are paying. We booked our room for two nights @ $100 a night which is low in Scottsdale. Very friendly and helpful staff, kid friendly environment, near the ballpark/free trolley stop.
The rooms had been recently remodeled, pretty new linens, giant tv.
I would recommend this place to anyone.
I would stay there again without hesitation. Check out the Dutch Brothers Coffee around the corner!

• Stayed March 2013
Fair Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place is in a wonderful Scottsdale location, especially when we go every year for Spring Training! The staff is all so very nice! It is very quiet and well kept. The rooms are a little on the small side but very clean with everything you need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a decent hotel which has a great proximity to several spring training facilities, most notably the Oakland Athletics at Phoeonix Muni. The A's wil be moving out of Phoenix Muni and moving over to Hohokam Park which is the current home of the Cubs. But in any case a fifteen minute drive will get you to at least 4 parks. Papago Park is also pretty close and provides some enjoyable hiking which isn't too difficult. It is an easy 15 minute drive to the airport and Oldtown Scottsdale is close as well. This is a good location in a safe neighborhood for walking at night. The plaza next door has a nice pizza & beer resataruant as well as other food options.

The hotel itself is clean and well kept up. There is a nice bird aviary near the pool and we heard the chirping and singing of the birds from sunrise which was nice. The pool is clean and nice and the workout room has decent equipment and there is laundry facilities as well. The staff are friendly and the breakfast restaruant is good. Nothing overly fancy but good value for the money. I will definately stay here again for my next trip to spring training.

Based on location and

Room Tip: All rooms face the courtyard/pool area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I recently spent a week in Scottsdale and stayed at this Best Western Inn. I had a 1st floor room next to the exercise room. All of the rooms face a courtyard, which has a pool, aviary, giant chessboard, and swing. There are only 2 floors but no elevator so am glad I was on the lower floor. I didn't need to turn on the a/c but did get an extra blanket for the bed. The desk staff was very accommodating and friendly. I had a problem with the tub faucet not being able to turn off and maintenance fixed it right away. I wish the exercise room wasn't on a key lock but that I could have used my door card to get in. Also I wish that there was a microwave in the room. Otherwise I really enjoyed my stay here and will certainly return in the future. The location was very central to old Scottsdale as well as the Desert Botanical Gardens/Phoenix Zoo. I didn't eat breakfast at the restaurant as I had my own food in the refrigerator. A previous reviewer (RedwolfCalifornia) described the facility and grounds very well and I can't add to it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I must admit, I first thought my GPS had gotten it wrong.

As we dragged into Scottsdale, weary from fighting traffic on I-10, I thought at first that we'd landed in the wrong place. As we drove along McDowell Rd, past car dealership after car dealership, I actually started to panic a bit...surely there couldn't be a resort hotel in this neighborhood?

Then, just as Garmin announced "arriving at destination, on right" I spotted the Best Western sign, tucked in beside an auto detailing shop! And that's when the vacation started!

Despite the commercial neighborhood, the Papago Inn is really quite charming! The friendly desk clerk had our reservation ready, and we were settled in our room before we knew it. And a very nice room it was, too...a spacious single king on the second floor. In addition to the wonderfully comfortable king-sized bed (one of the best hotel beds I've ever slept on), the room easily accommodated a comfy arm chair and ottoman, a full-sized chest of drawers, and a separate computer/writing desk, with enough room to spare that we weren't constantly tripping over each other. It also had a regular closet rather than an alcove for hanging your clothes, which is nice when you're staying for a bit and want to unpack and get comfortable.

The room also came equipped with a mini-fridge, a coffee/hot water maker, a hair dryer, and an ironing board with iron (and there actually would have been room to set up the ironing board, had we needed it!).

Especially nice, in this "wired" age...there were plenty of outlets for our various electronics!

The TV worked well, was easy to use, and got a nice selection of channels.

The bathroom was small, but adequate, with a tub/shower combination, toilet, and separate vanity area.

Everything was very clean, and maintained in excellent condition throughout our stay.

The hotel is set up in standard American motor court fashion, with the rooms opening on a central courtyard and parking arranged around the outside. The courtyard is really a lovely little green oasis, and must be especially nice during the heat of summer. The pool was sparkling clean (it was just a bit too cool, this early in the year, for us to use it) and surrounded by a well-manicured green lawn. Also featured in the courtyard is an aviary that is home to a small flock of beautiful parakeets, a giant chess set (you can get the key to unlock the pieces at the front desk), a pagoda and an old-fashioned porch swing.

The spacious lobby features an exchange library (if you finish a book you're reading while you're there, you can exchange it for one of theirs).

There's also a restaurant and bar, which we didn't have occasion to use, but which looked very pleasant.

You might not think it from what I said about the neighborhood (and it's not a bad neighborhood, by the way...just commercial), but the location is excellent for exploring the area. It's a very short drive to Scottsdale Stadium (Go Giants!), to Old Town, to ASU, to Tempe Marketplace (a HUGE outdoor shopping mall) and to the Desert Botanical Garden (an absolute must-see if you're visiting this area!). There are also several supermarkets and restaurants within a comfortable driving distance. Right next door to the hotel is the small Papago Plaza shopping center, which features an excellent brew pub and pizza restaurant: Papago Brewing Company (we had dinner there our first night, and highly recommend it).

The best thing about the place, though, has to be the people. From the desk clerks to the housekeeping staff, everyone was so pleasant and friendly! I'm not used to hotel maids smiling and saying "Good morning! How are you? Have a wonderful day!" when I pass them outside my room, but I could get very used to it indeed! And the desk clerks are a wealth of helpful information about the area.

Three caveats, if you're thinking of staying here: 1) There is no elevator, so if you have mobility issues, you should request a downstairs room at booking. 2) The parakeets are lovely, but they do wake with the birds (fancy that!), so if you like to sleep late, ask for a room that's not too near the aviary (we were in 225, well away from the aviary, so they didn't bother us, but we did hear a few people commenting about the "bird alarm"). 3) The wi-fi can be spotty, as can cell phone reception. We found that it worked best if only one of us was on-line at a time. The room had a couple of cell phone "dead spots," so I took to stepping outside to make calls. Not a problem if you're there to relax, as we were, but if you need to keep up with business while traveling, it's something to keep in mind.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience, and if we're lucky enough to come back to Scottsdale for spring training next year, we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a late sleeper, ask for a room located away from the aviary. If you have mobility issu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Papago Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!