“So So” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Kirkland, WA
“So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

I meant to get some photos before I left but unfortunately didn't. I, as others have noted, ended up in the back part of the HOTEL, not RESORT. It was definitely outdated. Only one notice about the "saving the environment" by not washing the sheets every day was on one of the beds, so I'm not sure if the other bed was cleaned or not. The tile in the bathroom floor was scratched up. I think it was all clean but just old so it kinda looked dirty I guess. I was so exhausted that I just needed some rest, and I did get that. I did like the double doors between the living room and the bedroom. That helped keep out the noise of the pool, which you will hear since all rooms face the pool. There are 2 pools, one for the newer section, one for the older. The newer section looked exactly like the older but was much older. I wish they'd start renovating those older rooms!!! I did enjoy the complimentary happy hour! That was nice, they had many drink choices to choose from so that was great! I had 2 margaritas! Also, the cooked to order breakfast was good. No weak breakfast that morning! So those things were nice. I don't know if I'd stay there again, probably not.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
MT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

The manager of this hotel told us the hotel gives priority to smokers. The level of unhealthy guests is shocking. We are middle age with small child. Its tough to find fresh air here. If you are a smoker and really overweight, this is your place.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

Im giving this review above average due to complimentary breakfasts/coctail hours and heated pools.

The room was nice and spacious however the tv in the room was poor and most channels were fuzzy and spouted loud annoying noises. Would have been good to have updated tv's and at least some MTV!

A lightbulb went out in the living room the first day there and was never checked or replaced the rest of the 3 nights I was there.

I had some jewlery sitting on top of the table in the 'living room' and went out for breakfast, when I came back in I was sad to find a piece was swooped up in the housecleanings vacuum due to her careless wipe of the table. However head of housekeeping was quick to search out the now mangled broken piece and was happy to give cash value, it was a gift and had sentimental value so made for an awkward exchange.

I wish the heated pools stayed open later than 10pm though.

Overall the heated pools and the free cook to order breakfasts made the stay more convenient and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2006

Stayed four nights in early March. Room are dated but very clean. Pool also clean and not busy, did not have to fight for chairs. Breakfast was outstanding. Would stay again!!

• Stayed March 2006
Troy, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2006

We stayed at the Chaparral during a conference my husband attended. I was a little nervous because of some of the reviews, but we had a great room and loved the suite since we were traveling with our teenager. He loved the wireless internet for his laptop and could go down to the breakfast when he was ready and not relying on us. The pool was clean and quiet and some brave souls were swimming from time to time. The staff was great, we rented out car from Dollar and they were very accomodating. Yes, the rooms are a little dated and it would be nice to have help with the bags when arriving by taxi, but we were satisfied with the value.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Irvine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2006

Our family stayed here on the way home from a road trip to Texas. We'd never been to Scottsdale before and were looking for a place to rest after two days on the road with 3 kids! We knew that July would be the hottest time of the year to visit Arizona and we were not disappointed! The pool was TOO hot to enjoy during the day, but lots of fun at night. The "cooked-to-order" breakfast each morning (included) was wonderful! Our two teenage sons took full advantage of the pancakes, eggs, juice, hashbrowns and more. We did not try any other meal at the resort.

We also tried the (NOT top-shelf) happy hour. No big deal, but a nice effort on the part of the hotel.

Our $79/night rate included a welcome package. We received some ice cream coupons (never used), 2 tank tops I plan to use as night shirts, 2 water bottles (a necessity in 100 plus heat) and coupons for the gift shop and restaurant.

Our room was big enough for the 5 of us! We ordered a roll-away which was delivered after calling the front desk, even though we had requested it with our reservation. All three kids slept in the "living room" and we tired parents slept in the nice-sized bedroom. It was very convienient to have 2 complete baths in a hotel room; a feature you don't find at hotels willing to accommodate a family with three kids in one room. Also nice to have 2 t.v.'s when travelling with three kids! Another plus was the small refridgerator.

(On a side-note, avoid the "Western town" advertised in the Scottsdale visitors guides you'll find in your room. It was boring, over-priced and cheesy. We left after 45 minutes! However, we all highly recommend the Sugar Bowl in downtown Scottsdale...the most awesome ice cream store we've ever been to!)

Yes, it's not the Four Seasons, but it was clean, affordable and what we were looking for. We'll stay here again if we ever get crazy enough to pack three kids in a minivan and drive through deserts in the summer!

• Stayed July 2005
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

It is a roomy suite, as the living area is a large as the bedroom area. They provide a fridge and microwave and a few dishes and silverware. There is ample clothing storage space if you are rooming with other people. There are also 2 counters for getting dressed (in bath and bedroom) and in a pinch someone could use the bar area, which has a mirror and sink. They also have an in-room safe large enough to hold most laptop computers. The decor here is average. The pillows were very flat. Their focus is on the amenities: 2 pools, complimentary cocktail hour, complimentary hot breakfast and such. The food was okay, but not great. Overall, I thought this place was okay, but I'll stay somewhere else the next time I'm in Scottsdale. I personaly prefer a places that focuses on room comfort rather than the amenities.

Been to Chaparral Suites Scottsdale? Share your experiences!