“If you're looking for a pool scene and people watching...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Scottsdale

You added W Scottsdale to your Saves list
W Scottsdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7277 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Downtown Scottsdale)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #53 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Paradise Valley
“If you're looking for a pool scene and people watching...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Don't overpay for the W....get a discounted summer rate and stay and play. It's perfect for entertaining as the DJ and crowd provides hours of entertainment. The onsite sushi restaurant is GREAT and it's within walking distance to most nightlife. This hotel experience is for someone who is looking to let loose a bit then leave it all behind.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Alexa W, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hello!

We do have a very popular pool scene. We welcome guests and locals alike to hang out, grab a few drinks and enjoy beats by local and national DJ's. Sushi Roku is always worth a stop in. Their sushi is the best in the Valley. If you're looking for a few recommendations in Old Town, let us connect you with our Insider Rachael. She'd be glad to show you around.

See you next time,
Alexa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just spent a night at the W Scottsdale for the 4th or 5th time. Check in was pleasant and seamless. My room was ready at 3:20 as were my special requests and an Starwood Gold upgrade. The hotel hallways and rooms are starting to show a bit of wear. Carpets stains, scratches in furniture etc.. Seemed a bit more noticeable than our last visit. Had a corner King room on the outside "quiet" part of the hotel. Literally never heard a sound from outside of the room and it was a busy Scottsdale holiday weekend. Came back to hotel around 12:30 a.m. and went upstairs to check out the pool deck. Most of the crowd had dispersed by that hour so we had a drink and went down to the lobby bar. Bartender was friendly and service was great. Pleasantly surprised that they served us food at 1:30 in the morning. Enjoyed just sitting back and people watching in this ultra cool lounge. Called down in the morning for our car and it was ready and waiting. Overall a great stay again. The noise and party complaints in reviews are perplexing because the hotel even sends emails that state it is a "scene" on the weekends. This is not really a family friendly hotel nor a place for a quiet getaway. They are upfront and honest about that all the way through. We will be back.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask where your room is if you want to avoid the noise form the pool deck/club.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!

We do our best to take care of each of our SPG Members are well taken care of. We are happy to give an upgrade when they are available. I'm glad we could get you into a quiet room during your stay. The Living Room is a great spot to hangout with some live music and a cocktail. We do try to inform all of our guests of the nature of the hotel. We are very lively and surrounded by bars and nightlife. If you would like to take advantage of the Entertainment District, please allow us to connect you with our Insider Rachael. She would be glad to show you around.

See you soon,
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

the W is as much a brand as it is a hotel. the brand is supposed to be hip and young. but the translation of the brand into an hotel ultimately fails. it is not authentic. it is all faux and artifice.

in no particular order.

the coffee might have been the worst coffee i have had in my life
lots on young women employees in short dresses but not professionals, not smart
i ordered a cosmo at the bar and it was terrible. it reeked of artificial everything. when i gently suggested that it tasted bad, she defended it and herself and said it was made according to the formula; and i am sure it was. i returned it and didn't get a credit.
not unique to the W, but nevertheless obnoxious was $8 bottles of water in the room. really?
the room was modern and large but not very practical. there was no reading light to read in bed
there was a tub in the middle of the room which is fun in concept but not too practical. also, the tv faces the tub, not the bed. i guess you are supposed to something different in the bed? the bathroom has no noise insulation so if a couple, get used to hearing all bodily functions. the elevator music will drive you to desperation. did i mention the coffee. oh yeah, i did

will never go back. you are on your own

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are a very different hotel than what some are used to. We are always in front of what is new and next in fashion, music and design. Our spa suites are very popular among couples, but you can swivel the TV in the direction of the bed. If you need assistance, please call Whatever/Whenever and we will send someone up. I am sorry to note that you did not enjoy the coffee. If you would like something else, just ask.

I hope we can welcome you back.

Westfield, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was a mostly a typical W experience although the hotel was less floors than usual so the views were not as good. The hotel is right near the not so large downtown Scottsdale area so there were plenty of options to go out for dinner or have a drink. Was not impressed with breakfast however I was in a rush so did not give it too much of an opportunity.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hi John,

We do have just 7 floors with views of Camelback Mountain and the Entertainment District. If you would like a few recommendations for exploring Scottsdale, we would love to connect you with our Insider Rachael. She would be glad to set up your reservations, show you around Scottsdale or get you tickets to an event. We can deliver breakfast to room at a requested time if you would like, or you are welcome to join us in Sushi Roku. Please let us know if you would like something specific. We would be happy to make it for you.

See you soon,
Rockland, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We flew across the country for a family event and took three rooms at the W Scottsdale where the party was held.Rooms were funky but adequate though our entry cards and door lock malfunctioned the day before we left. Upon returning home, we were accused by email of purposefully leaving our sink faucet on full force at departure and damaging the hotel six flights down to the security office and told that $2000 had been added to our bill to compensate for damage we never caused! The hotel management right up to corporate were surly and lacking any client consideration relying solely on testimony of a housekeeper unable to speak English. The charges were ultimately removed, but no compensation was offered for the weeks of trouble they put us through including the many calls and letters written to recount our experience. We travel often. This is the first time I have ever written a review but take the time to warn other travelers of a most inhospitable experience at the Scottsdale W and an inhospitable corporate culture within the W ranks.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Hi Marsha,

Thank you for reaching out again. After leaving the bathroom faucet running for a few hours, there was damage down 6 floors. We decided to wave the $2000 charge for damages after our continued dialogue. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to GMRen.Hirose@whotels.com.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the W for one night. I am glad we did try the hotel, as I can now safely say it is not our style. I did read the desciption of the hotel prior to booking, I read that it really was not a 'family' place to stay on the weekend. Did I really believe that? No, not really. Well, to all who want to stay there, believe them and the description...not a family hotel.
Again, I will state that it is a nice hotel, just not our style. If you like your hotels to be dark, yet flashing red & blue lights in the elevator, your bed in the middle of the tiny room, and lack of any sound proofing within the room (i.e. bathroom)...this place is for you!!! Also please realize that you are in the 'Entertainment' district. Be prepared for night clubs galore directly across the street. If you are in any way, insecure with your body, do not visit the pool or the lounge area. If you are an older couple, I would also suggest that you read the description of the hotel. We are in our mid 40's, I can tell you we felt out of place.
The only true 'complaint' I had, was the front desk clerks. Not only could she not hear us when we checked in, and asked me the same question I asked her. She just stared at me, and smiled. I asked again, and she smiled. I gave up. The hotel is quite pricey, room service is very pricey,
The hotel is located in a great spot. Next to the Fashion Mall, Old town and great restaurants. Location gets an 'A'.
Definately read the description of the hotel before you book!!! Bring your high heels and wear your best club outfits.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Kim,

Yes, we are a very lively hotel and we aren't for everyone. I am glad that you decided to experience the hotel for yourself. The Entertainment District is made up of our hotel and 10 other bars, so it is louder than other hotels. We do our best to accommodate requests for quiet rooms and to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable. Our rooms are designed to be quite different than other hotels.

WET is a popular spot for locals and guests alike. We encourage guests to come out early to enjoy the pool and reserve their lounge chair. A DJ starts spinning at noon every weekend.

I hope we can welcome you back for a stay during the week when we are bit more quiet.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

As a SPG Platinum member, I have stayed at most W locations worldwide. The W Scottsdale was by far my least enjoyable stay at any W, or really any hotel. I have never reviewed anything or any product before and this stay made me do that...

The guy who checked me in had a major chip on his shoulder. The fight outside my room at 3am was awesome. The backache I woke up with from the platform bed was awesome. The drunk girl practically passed out against the wall the awesome. The room was smaller than most W's I have visited and made my first NYC studio apartment look big!!

This is definitely the place to stay if you are a townie wanting to party like you are back in college or or college age. They claim to have an 'adult' atmosphere, and that is correct if you are referring to those being 18 and up. I'm 30 and don't consider myself old, but I felt like I was back in college on Greek Row. On a positive note, the valet was guys were very nice, and my car was always waiting for me.

Stayed May 2014
Hi Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While we do label ourselves as a lively hotel, we don't promote any of the behavior your described. Our security team works diligently to ensure that all aspects of our hotel are safe. Any physical altercations are quickly disbursed and removed from the hotel.

I am glad to note you found our valet team's service prompt. I hope we can welcome you back for a different experience.

Alexa

Been to W Scottsdale? Share your experiences!