“To Hip to be Comfortable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Scottsdale

Save Saved
You added W Scottsdale to your Saves list
W Scottsdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7277 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Downtown Scottsdale)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #43 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale
Orange County, California
“To Hip to be Comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

In room lighting is terrible. There is no comfortable chair in the room. The walls are paper thin. You can hear the person sneezing in the next room. The bed is in the center of the room with a low backboard so you cannot sit up in bed. From a facilities standpoint, this hotel tries too hard to be cool and misses badly. The staff, however, is very good. Seem to be well trained and cheerful.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Morgan K, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hello! Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us at W Scottsdale.

We take pride in our wonderful Talent, and I am happy to see that they impressed you. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy the design of our property. We usually hear great feedback on the modern features, especially the furniture. I do hope you think of us next time you are in Scottsdale, as we have a variety of room types to choose from. Looking forward to it!

Morgan

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Mclean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have stayed at the W Hotel in Doha ( Excellent ) and the W Hotel Boston ( Terrific ) and am therefore familiar with the W format and rooms. The Location of the W Hotel in Scottsdale is indeed terrific the rooms are on par with other W properties and well furnished and stocked but the management has gone wildly wrong with the lobby setting and the ground floor bar. They have some of the most uncomfortable chairs you could imagine in the lobby bar area and the decor so hugely forced and out of fashion for this up market fashion forward property. The good news for the GM of this hotel is that the staff were super friendly and helpful and best of all the valet parking staff. I did try the Bliss Spa. It was wonderful. On Saturday night the pool side bar takes a life of its own with a young vibrant crowd full of life. If you like to party this is the place to be on a Saturday night. In short this W Hotel wins my vote because of its superior location and value for money in Scottsdale.

Room Tip: On the weekend select a room away from the pool or be ready to stay up all night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us in Scottsdale! It is always a pleasure to have W loyalists in house. I agree, our location right in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale is a great place for dining, shopping, and the hottest nightlife scene in town. I am sorry to see you did not like the design of our Living Room. Each W property has a different design narrative, and ours is focused on being an oasis in the desert. This all reflected by our rooftop WET pool area, the Jerusalem Stone grand staircase and petrified wood sculptures.

I am glad to see you enjoyed the nightlife, and overall that we win your vote! I hope to welcome you back Scottsdale in the near future!

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was our third hotel stay in two weeks in Scottsdale and by far the most uncomfortable.
The foyer, lobby, bar and corridors were dark and forbidding. The chairs in the bar were the most uncomfortable and tatty that I have experienced in an upmarket hotel. The room layout was strange too with the bed in the centre of the room. There was a circular chair with a low back by the window. It was so uncomfortable that I sat on the floor instead.
We took advantage if an offer of 500 Starwood guest points so I made the bed and tidied the room myself and found three long dark hairs in the bed that did not belong to me or my husband.
Such a shame as the staff were great. I don't know who designed this hotel but no attention was paid to guest comfort in my opinion. I love contemporary buildings but not this one.

Room Tip: I'm not sure that there is one!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us in Arizona. I am sorry to see that it was not a perfect stay! We usually hear great things about the design and style of our rooms. I will be sure to share your feedback with our Style Department, it is always our intention to provide a perfect room!

Victoria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

High expectations were perhaps to blame for my dissappointment with the W Scottsdale. Not all bad but some little things really added up. First off, I will say the place looks cool. The bed is in the middle of the room in what I suppose is a hip and modern layout. The room looked good. The first thing I didn't like is that upon check in I was informed no outside alchohol was allowed in the hotel. Small of me? You decide, but it ticked me off right away. I'm a grown man and if I want to get a 6 pack at the Circle K and enjoy it in my room I'm going to expect to be able to do that ( I did ). Secondly, I have attached a couple of pictures of the shower. Slimy scum blotches on the floor is just careless. The other picture is of the shower at full power. You can see that water pressure is an issue. No coffe maker in the room? Just annoying. I stay in many high and low end hotels all over the USA and in my opinion the W is just one more example of how you often get less when you pay more.

I see others have rated this property highly, so maybe I am just a crank, but I wouldn't change a word.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry to see that your bathroom was not in perfect condition. That is definitely not typical of a stay with us, and I will be sure to pass along this feedback to our Style team. In addition to offering complementary coffee in our Living Room every morning, we do have coffee makers available upon request for use in room. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your room! Next time you are in Scottsdale, you will need to see our brand new VIP suites, we are really pleased with how they turned out!

Morgan
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This W has a good sushi restaurant in the lobby and a nice outdoor pool area. The lobby bar area is also cool and quite cozy. Small gym. Excellent staff with prompt service. It's about 20 minutes ($30) cab from the airport. The views aren't much but there are plenty of bars and places to eat within walking distance. Overall a very reliable hotel and quite affordable. It's my go-to when in PHX for work.

• Stayed January 2013
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for the great review! I am glad to see you enjoyed your dinner at Sushi Roku, they have some the best, and original, rolls in town.

I love our Old Town Scottsdale location, it is right in the heart of the shopping and entertainment district. Thank you for making us your go-to home away from home!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ive always preferred to stay at more modern/Boutique Style hotels,
& generally choose to stay at a W Hotel when theyre available...

having said that i truly
Enjoyed my stay at this particular W very much!!
the Room was comfortable, the View from it was spectacular, and overall attentiveness of the staff & Service was Superb...Loved the Location, walking distance to Fashion Square where there was a BARNEYS New York (my favorite store) :)

would def stay there again, and recommend to others as well!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello, and thank you for your review of W Scottsdale! We love having W loyalists stay with us, we appreciate it!

Our Old Town location is great for both shopping and entertainment, and the new Barney’s is pretty great!

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We got there and they asked if we wanted a free room upgrade and gave us a suite over thanksgiving! Great location, great ambiance, and great price! A plus was the ice rink and e free show (from our balcony) of Bel Biv Devoe. Highly recommended.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Scottsdale? Share your experiences!