“good hotel.. service is weakening” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Scottsdale

You added W Scottsdale to your Saves list
W Scottsdale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7277 East Camelback Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 (Downtown Scottsdale)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #54 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Chicago, Illinois
“good hotel.. service is weakening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

this is a classic W starwood hotel. with an overall great staff. However, the staff is becoming snobish and not attentive. Check in and check out was great but food and drink service was slow and not attentive as we watched the staff served 5 other guests before coming to us and we had been there first. She also never came to check on us while she sat chatting to regulars for over30 min. Also, there was o much noise on a Wed night near my room that it was difficult to sleep

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Greetings, and thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent stay in Scottsdale. I am sorry to see the experience you describe from our Talent. We pride ourselves on offering a Whatever/Whenever level of service that is second to none.

I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our team. I apologize for the noise as well, we are a very high energy hotel in the hub of the Scottsdale nightlife scene. In anticipation of your next visit we also have quiet rooms available.

I do hope you give us a second chance on your next visit, I know we won’t disappoint.

Brad W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My Oct 2012 trip to the W hotel in scottsdale was a AAA+++ experience. As an avid traveler fro peronal & business trips...i rate this hotel all positive.
The staff was beyond helpful & accomodating at all times.
the accomdations were superb, sharp, clean & new.
the hotel is conveniently located a block from the high end shopping & resturants...including a view of camelback mountain.
The Acura Mdx hotel car (free of charge) valet service topped my expectations.
Cant say enough positive things.
Thanks to Chis, Tracy & Stephanie for going the distance.
Im coming back ya'll.

Room Tip: pool & mountain view are both terrific.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I know it sounds odd that a place is "nice" and that I did not like it, but that is just the case. The room was very nice. It was clean, stylish, and had great amenities. The hotel staff was friendly and treated me respectfully. The Concierge was helpful when I asked them for a dinner recommendation. But....this is (as others have said) a party hotel for young adults. There was even a flyer on the desk in my room from the W that said "Let's get the party started", with a list of the weekend's party events in the hotel.

I was told that you could access the pool 24 hours, but after 8 pm, the pool area turned into a night club - no, I don't mean a bar with a lot of people - I mean a night club. With velvet ropes manned by multiple bouncers, blaring music, and light show until 2 am, complete with a dress code. You could not wear shorts, nor open toed shoes - despite the 100 degree weather. Which is FINE for a night club - but not so much for my hotel's pool.

So...if you are young (35 cutoff), have had plastic surgery, want to spend a significant chunk of your monthly income on a cheap bottle of vodka (I am a responsible adult that has been monetarily succesful in my life due to NOT spending LITERALLY hundreds of dollars on a $20 bottle of Smirnoff vodka), and you want a party, this is the hotel for you.

It just wasn't for me - but I still gave it a "very good" rating because it certainly would appeal to some, if this is your thing. If so - have a great time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to see that W Scottsdale offered a different experience than you were expecting.
I am glad to see that our Talent was able to impress you. W Scottsdale is a very high energy property, and located in the middle of Old Town Scottsdale, the center for day and nightlife in the valley.

Social programming is one of the cornerstones of any W Hotel, and we do our best to always notify and invite our guests to participate in the fun. On Friday and Saturday nights Shade Lounge does draw quite a crowd, and we do our best to let our guests know about the dress code, including posting it on our website. While we do offer VIP service in our lounges, it is by no means a requirement.

I invite you back next time you are in the area, I know we can impress you!

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Imagine the weary traveler worn down by the disappointments which so often accompany the journey. Such was I last Monday night. My vacation plans for the day, sadly, had been scuttled. I retreated to the W Scottsdale for the last night of sojourn.

The accommodations were what one might expect from a W; the staff friendly, the lobby well appointed, the room sophisticated yet different but without making a huge fuss about it, the parking valet ... a tad overbearing.

Parking Valet aside, the staff is very well trained which speaks highly of the management. They were helpful and courteous. They have a car on call to deliver you were you need to go; however, nice restuarants and bars are a pleasant walk away. The pool is stylish with comfortable lounges, cabanas and full bar & food service. BTW ask for Bethany. She is a delightful bartender.

If I should return to the desert southwest I wil be sure to visit this oasis again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Oh weary traveler, we thank you for the review! I am so glad you had a great time, and I will be sure to pass along your compliments. We are lucky to have Bethany upstairs, she is fantastic.

We all hope to see you again on your next visit to Scottsdale.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The W Scottsdale is a beautiful property. The lobby is very large and modern, there is a nice gym with new equipment, the pool area is extremely spacious, and the spa is bright and relaxing. The service was very good--the staff was very friendly and respectful. We spent time at the pool on a weekday when it wasn't too busy and both the hotel staff and bar tender were attentive, bringing us water, towels and drinks. However, the staff and guests talked about how crazy the pool was on the weekends and that it essentially turns into a daytime club. We saw the beginnings of that so I would recommend, if you want a relaxing experience, to stay somewhere else. Also, the hotel prides itself on being "the place to be" on weekend nights and it seems like there are a lot of events/parties at night. You may view this as a negative if you want some peace and quiet.
Finally, the rooms are sort of small and odd. We stayed in a Spectacular Room. There is not a separate bathroom--just two separate doors to the shower and toilet. The bed is in the middle of the room, which made it sort of hard to get around and keep our stuff organized. I appreciate that the hotel is trying to do something different, though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us! I am glad you enjoyed the property and had ample time to experience our Bliss Spa and WET deck.

Thank you for the compliments on our Talent, we try our best to go above and beyond! You are correct, W Scottsdale is a hub of the nightlife in Old Town Scottsdale. A part of any W Hotel is the social programming, but we do tailor our events to make sure our guests are included as much as they want to be.

I hope to welcome you back to W Scottsdale next time you are in town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a hot spot if you are looking for a "clubby" hotel in Old Scottsdale. Night life Thur - Saturday is like a club scene at the pool and lobby. Not a kid place. Staff is top notch and if you like Sushi, they have a great restaurant. Like other W hotels, rooms a little small, but if you can, get a balcony or patio. Location to restaurants and bars can be walked, but in the blaring heat, take the hotel Lexus car. The hotel a little bit off the beaten path to the old Scottsdale hot spots, but the hotel itself is a hot spot at the end of the week. I wouldn't choose this place as a family get-a-way. For singles, couples and business travelers. Again, in the Summer months, u want the shades/curtains closed, which gives off a cave experience...but that is was you get during Summer.

• Stayed August 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

GReat hotel. Wonderful pool area and great pool party on Saturday (didnt stay for the Sunday one).
One complaint would be that the doorman would not let me down to the pool area club on a Friday as I didnt have a collar (I was wearing a designer teeshirt and dressed nicely) - bit ridiculous really, couldnt be bothered getting changed so flagged it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your experience at our WET deck, and sorry to hear about your inconvenience with our dress code. We do require a collared shirt at night for Shade Lounge, and do our best to communicate that fact to our guests.

I invite you back on your next visit, I know you will enjoy your time here!

Brad W

Been to W Scottsdale? Share your experiences!