“absolute blast - the best location and best spot for fun and relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

4th Night Free
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“absolute blast - the best location and best spot for fun and relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

The rooms are all fantastic and spacious for a boutique hotel. The staff were all great and attentive to the needs of 7 or 8 guys in town for a bachelor party. The pool scene was great yet under control. We even managed to make it for breakfast Sunday where all enjoyed what was on offer. The vodka / Bloody Mary bar is a pretty cool option.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Conowingo, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Our stay at the Valley Ho was okay. The staff seemed professional and dedicated. However, once we left, I discovered that they had removed over $500 from my checking account. Once the discovery was made, and calls were placed, their attitude in fixing the problem was nothing to brag about.
My first call, I was advised that my colleague had stayed on for an extra week, and because they had my credit card on file, all charges were on me. Even though their records showed me as "checked out," they were not willing to give my money back to me. MY MONEY. I was in another state when these charges were accumulated, but they would not budge.
My company became involved and asked me not to confront my colleague until they investigated further.
In the meantime, I placed a call to the MANAGER, whose friendly face appears with his personal office phone number on their web page. He never returned a call.

It turns out that my colleague stayed at a different hotel and produced a receipt to show that. It took about a week after PROOF that NO ONE was in the hotel room they charged me for before they refunded my money.
That leads me to wonder how often the rooms get cleaned, or if there is any communication between the cleaning staff and management. Wouldn't it have been easy to ask them if someone was occupying that room for a week of bogus charges?
I think of the problems it would have caused if I had taken the hotel's bogus word and confronted my colleague for charging me for her expenses. We probably would have lost our friendship.
And, after it was all done and said, Hotel Valley Ho offered NO APOLOGY to me for stealing my money and holding it for approximately one month for charges that were never accumulated.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Stayed three nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Great deals are available during the summer, and especially over holiday weekends, since many of the locals leave town to escape the heat.

The Valley Ho is pretty much what we expected. It attracts the younger party crowd and the swimming pool becomes a raging party everyday. The whole vibe is hip, drunk, and fun. My wife and I knew what we were getting into and we enjoyed watching everyone have fun. I was blown away with how courteous the staff was throughout the hotel. They seemed to encourage people to have fun but they also enforced limits. There were plenty of doormen and security all around so it always felt pretty safe.

Bottom line, do not stay here if you are on business, have children, or are easily irritated. But do stay here if you want to have fun at a hip hotel.

Tucson, aZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho for our anniversary. The rooms, the service from the staff and the restaurants were outstanding. Also, being able to bring out two dogs was fab. The concierge recommended a great pet-sitter for our long venture out Sunday afternoon, well worth the price. Overall it was fun, but, here's the downside. I understand why we had to sign the "pet policy" to keep our pets well behaved and quiet as not to disturb the other guests, but, there should have been a policy (and a $100 charge) for some of the humans staying there that distrubed our stay. Our dogs were more well behaved than some of the guests. 3 am in the morning and there was some loudmouth on their patio next to us screaming at the top of his lungs and then in the morning on the lawn, beer bottles and plastic cups littered the front of their patio (which we picked up after seeing them there all day). Luckily the rest of our stay was great, and I did note that on Monday the clientele seemed to change.

Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I are from CA. We decided to support Arizona by celebrating our one year anniversary there. A designer friend of mine told me about Hotel Valley Ho, so I did some research on it, loved the website, and booked it right away.
When we pulled up to the hotel we could hear the music pounding from inside the car. As we walked into the lobby our energy level rose and we were ready to party! From the interior design, to the staff, to the guests, this hotel was built around fun and style!
Our room was sooooo charming! White painted brick walls, mood lighting in the bathroom, fun mid-century modern design, it was perfect! We were on the first floor and had a patio with an over-sized lounge chair that we both cuddled up on and table and chairs to eat at. There was a DJ at the pool, who played lots of great music, which we could hear from our room. The Lakers/Suns game came on, so we stayed in our room, ordered room service and listened to music all at the same time!
The location is ideal! We were able to walk to all the bars and restaurants and felt like were in the heart of the city!
It's definitely a hotel we'd go back to. Great for a girlfriends trip, boys trip, or getaway with your significant other. Loved every minute!

Shawnee Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

This hotel is lots of fun and is reminiscent of a Mexican spring break trip. The service and the atmosphere was a huge party. Those looking for a quiet and restful weekend should look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I really wanted to love this hotel after seeing the pictures, and I did love its retro design, but a lot of little problems made me feel as if this hotel had just opened and was still working out its kinks. For example:

- I tried to modify two different reservations online using their web site, and all I ever got was “Transaction Error: Reservation does not exist”. Wish they would fix this, but okay, back to the old-fashioned retro phone method…
- I modified my reservation by phone, and they mailed me an unreadable (corrupt?) PDF attachment as confirmation. And yes, my email app usually does handle PDFs just fine.
- When we drove up to the hotel- surprise! Parking is valet, and it’s twelve bucks a night. Funny, that wasn’t mentioned anywhere on the web site or in the first confirmation email. Harrumph.
- Up in our room, we found plenty of information about the hotel spa and restaurants, but no information about the hotel itself. For example, we had an ice bucket, but no ice machine on our floor, and no information about where it might be located. The receptionist told us we’re supposed to get ice from the bartender. The surprised bartender told us there was actually an ice machine outside on the first floor. Aha! Problem solved, but we’re starting to feel like idiots here.
- Another question that a hotel information sheet would answer: what hours is the pool open? It would be nice if this was at least posted on the gate outside the pool area, but we never found out and never got around to using the pool.
- We opened one of the snacks in our mini-bar, and it was inedible- it had some kind of foul smell, as if it had been left out in the sun for some time. Luckily we found a convenience store nearby for snacks.

Our Tower Signature room was also rather noisy for some reason- I think we could hear running water from other rooms, or perhaps it was the air conditioning system. And, having requested a high floor in the Tower, they put us on the lowest (third) floor. Not a huge problem, but surprising since the hotel didn’t seem anywhere close to full. From our side of the Tower we had a nice view of Camelback Mountain, but looking down we had a not-so-nice view of trash, bins, and restaurant equipment. Okay, maybe we shouldn’t have paid more for a Tower room.

On the other hand, here’s what I liked about the hotel:

- Loved the design of the room and the lobby- very, very cool, especially the bathroom with the blue light over the bathtub and the tile in the shower. Our room was also large and very comfortable.
- Loved the toiletries. Definitely worth the room in my suitcase.
- Free wi-fi- ‘nuf said.
- The staff was without exception smiling, friendly, and happy to help with anything or answer any questions. Major points for that.
- Great location: a short walk to Old Town Scottsdale and many restaurants (eat at The Mission! You won’t be sorry!) There’s a handy convenience store just a block away on Indian School Rd and 69th Str.
- Good value compared to other hotels in the area, and the price dropped even lower as our stay approached.
- Quiet and uncrowded on a weekday (although spring break may be different)

Overall though, staying here was a frustrating experience, and we’ll probably look elsewhere next time.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Valley Ho? Share your experiences!