“Cute hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennsylvania, USA
“Cute hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

This hotel was definitely a good choice. We originally wanted to go to the new "W" hotel, but it wasn't going to be open until after our trip. I went on this trip with 3 other girlfriends for a bachelorette party. We were very pleased with the cleanliness and trendy atmosphere of this hotel. Our room was plenty big for 4 women. The room had a really nice, flat screen TV and an iPod hookup to play music.

Wireless internet throughout the hotel was also a plus. The pool was pretty great, except for Saturday afternoons when it turns into a dance party with loud music. The chain link fence around the pool kind of ruined the look a little. The pool was also too cold to swim in (for me, at least!). The spa was GREAT! I would suggest getting a massage while you are there. But make sure to tell the person if they are too harsh...my friend was sore the next day after hear massage!

The hotel was a little farther from the main st. than I had hoped, but it was a nice walk; the town also has a free trolley to take you where you want to go. I would suggest going to the restaurant for breakfast. It is a nice place to sit with a tasty breakfast. I liked the granola, although one of the days, the granola seemed very stale. It was more like 3 granola bars in a bowl rather than cereal. The egg sandwich was all of our favorites! The staff at the hotel were accommodating. I must warn you though...the staff got us REALLY lost when we were coming back from a day trip to Sedona. They neglected to tell us that there are numbered AVENUES on one side of town and numbered STREETS on the other. The woman told us over and over where to go, but never told us this important fact. We ended up on the complete opposite end of town.

• Liked — cleanliness and atmosphere
  • Disliked — wild pool parties
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Laredo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

I have traveled extensively and came across this hotel on the internet by chance. I took a chance after reading previous reviews on Trip Advisor and was not dissapointed. This hotel is so incredibly charming. I felt that I had been transported to an upscale Las Vegas casino in the 1950's. While dining at this jewel I almost expected a member of the Rat Pack to walk in and start a show. This hotel has jumped to the top of my list for future stays in the Phoenix area.

• Liked — The design and ambience
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

We booked a room, and when we got there, they tried to gave us another room, when we had reserved one WEEKS ago. This was terrible. He wouldn't reason with us and just tried to give us another room, without any kind of discount, or anything. I was unsatisfied with the room and the service to say the least. I left livid. When we tried to get our deposit back, they said we had to come back in the morning "because room service had to check if we broke anything". Absolutely ridiculous. Luckily, we live in town-- forget anyone who had to leave the next morning. I'll return in the morning, but only because I want my deposit back from this stupid hotel! You;re better off at Sanctuary!

• Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
alexjade, General Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, May 20, 2008
Dear Cutiepeach
I am very upset your experience was not perfect. Unfortunately you have not provided me with enough information to follow up and determine exactly what happened. Please contact me at the hotel so we can resolve and further improve our service.

Kind regards
Andrew
Benicia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I stayed one night at the Valley Ho on a short business trip after a friend in Scottsdale recommended it. After researching the hotel's website, I thought it looked very hip/cool/fun.

I couldn't have been more pleased - the accommodations were spacious, comfortable, and super clean. The decor was bright, contemporary. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool area. Private balcony/patio was nice for relaxing. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the lady at the gift shop. The bar/restaurant on site, Cafe Zazu, has a great wine list and nice selection of entrees and such.

Whenever I go back to the Phoenix area, I will definitely be staying at the Valley Ho again.

• Liked — History of hotel, hip decor, spacious comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — That I had to leave
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

We visited over a long weekend in late March with a group of friends. The purpose of our trip was to see the Cubs play in Mesa, drink some beer, catch some sun, etc.

We stayed in a cabana suite right off the pool. The room was kind of small, but the pool side aspect more than made up for it. Having breakfast each morning on your private patio next to the pool is a great short-term cure for a Chicago winter.

When we booked, we did not see the "Spring Training Special". Kudos to the management for honoring that rate when we called back after booking. No hassle whatsoever.

Gorgeous hotel, great pool scene. The pool bartenders (Jay and Justin) made it that much more enjoyable.

Additonally we all loved the indoor bar and restaurant.

This is a great hotel in a perfect location, we walked to dinner every night.

We will be back.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
West Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

This is a unique hotel in a great location. The decor is fabulous, the guest services are wonderful. The pool is a really cool place to hang out. The food at the bar and the restaurant is average, and a little overpriced, however within walking distance there are many great choices.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

My husband and I planned a week's vacation in Sedona with our last night ending up in Scottsdale to be near the airport. We wanted our last night to be as wonderful as the rest of our week so I picked the hotel that looked special and fun. Based on review after review I picked the Hotel Valley Ho as it had everything we wanted for our price range. The most important factor other than proximity to the airport (needed to be close for our morning flight) was the terrific pool area with bar and fire pits etc. that is open into the late evening. It is heavily marketed and the thing that really sets this hotel apart from others. I called the hotel directly to inquire about a couple items as well as to make sure the pool is indeed open into the evening and heated. Our plan had been to check in at 4:00 (which is what we were told check in time was), get settled in and basically lounge at the pool for the evening having drinks and dinner poolside. We ended up booking the room through American Express on our business account. Check in was a breeze, we got settled in our room which was clean, very nice and very comfortable. We loved the bathroom and the bathroom amenities were the best ever. Our room ( as most rooms not in the tower are ) was open to a quiet courtyard on one side with a large balcony with a double lounger and table and chairs and our door to enter the room on the other side opened to the pool. We had a large lcd/plasma tv, 37" perhaps and a per cup coffee pod machine in the room which were both nice touches. Being 90 degrees, we prepared to go down to the pool area and noticed that it looked as if there was a party being set up. Also, it looked as if the patrons enjoying the pool were being asked to leave. I was suddenly alarmed and we went to the front desk to inquire about the pool for the evening. They did not know anything about why the pool might be closing. I asked them to please find out. They came back and told me apparently there was a private party that night and the pool would be closed until 10. (although I can tell you the party did go beyond that because it was loud and we could hear it in our room) They apologized because no one at the check in desk had been told this. I was upset upon hearing this and we went back to the room to regroup and figure out what we were then going to do for the evening. We were lucky to get reservations at Trader Vic's but had to run over right away before the dinner crowd came. (very good experience there with excellent service, drinks and food) I first called the manager on duty at the hotel and told him nicely why we booked the Hotel Valley Ho and why it was so important to us to have the evening in the pool. We could have booked anywhere in town and been able to swim but chose Hotel Valley Ho because of all the great things we saw and heard. We wanted a fun, special night IN THE POOL as April in NJ not pool time and the whole week in Sedona was too cold for a pool also. Thinking vacation in Arizona, we'd have a little R&R in a pool. He apologized and said that had we booked directly through the hotel they would have informed us ahead of time so there would be no surprises and because I went through a third party booking you basically get what you get. I did call the hotel first about that night and they did not mention anything about the closed pool to me, they only confirmed the pool's hours and that it was heated etc. I do doubt that had I booked through them that they would have told me prior to booking only because they didn't even know about it when we checked in. The manager did however, comp us breakfast in our room the next morning which he did not have to do, but he did and we left feeling that at least he did attempt to make things right. The breakfast was delivered promptly, hot, fresh and extremely delicious. We ate it on our balcony and enjoyed it thoroughly. The people working the front desk told us that they do occasionally close the pool area for private affairs. So if you are booking here, please know there is a risk you may not be able to use the pool. Other than that we had a nice stay, and although the use of the pool was important to us, it may be a non-issue with others, petty in fact. But everyone's vacation is a very personal thing.

• Liked — the bathroom and amenities and balcony
  • Disliked — that we could not use the amazing pool, pool area and bar.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Valley Ho? Share your experiences!