“Solid product in a prime location” 5 of 5 stars

Sweet Suite Deal 30% Off
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santiago de los Caballeros, Santiago, Dominican Republic
“Solid product in a prime location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The welcome I received upon arrival was very warm. I was immediately greeted by the valets and each one of them assisted with my luggage and presented the valet receipt. The check in was a breeze. I presented my ID and CC and I was on my way to my room. I was in room 4215, a short walk past the bar entrance and out to the pool area, and up one flight to the second floor. The room was very nicely appointed and very spacious. Large well furnished balcony facing a garden with water feature. The room was very comfortable and I slept very well each night. No exterior noise to disturb a good nights sleep.The in-room coffee/tea machine made a great cup to start the day. There was also a fully stocked mini bar and reasonably priced unlike other properties I have stayed in. After unpacking I decided to tour the hotel and what a gem it is. Landscaping softens the rather bland retro concrete exterior facade with orange trees rich in fruit. The lobby and lounge area is retro with high end furniture, very inviting, functional and comfortable. There is a sense of serenity around the property, even though the hotel was full with the World baseball classic event in town. Zu Zu bar and restaurant was busy each night with locals as well as hotel guests and it added to the ambiance. I was able to get some real good restaurant recommendations from the locals and they were all spot on! The bar food was very good and fresh, they have happy hour appetizers each day (regular size portions) and were tasty. The staff make this property. The front desk staff are professional and know why they are there, to assist guests in any way they can. Other departments were also solid, friendly and efficient. The restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale are a short 7 to 8 minute walk , so no need to drive. Try the Daily Dose restaurant for the best breakfast in town, be prepared to wait for a table, its worth it and they provide complimentary coffee while you wait, nice touch. In enjoyed this property so much that I may hold our annual customer appreciation event.The resort has all the amenities required to host such an event, and after experiencing a 5 night stay the service was consistent throughout my stay. Kudos to the Valley Ho team, you have a new fan.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor, however, the cabana rooms are located on the ground floor and have an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review! We love hearing about great experiences like yours. Daily Dose is great for breakfast; they have some unique pancakes. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love this hotel . My wife and I stay here every year for our anniversary ( 7 years straight ) . The staff is very nice . The rooms are really clean . The pool is great . Pete and Kevin are great out at the pool . Looking forward to coming back this year !

• Stayed April 2012
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thanks so much for spending your anniversaries with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Historic Hotel Valley Ho and it was wonderful. My room was on the 6th floor and I sat on my balcony and watched the sun rise. It was so beautiful. There was a large group here at the same time and to be honest I did't feel like I was "buried" by the group. The staff was wonderul, service in the restaurant was great and really good. I love this hotel as they upgraded it and kept the charm. Close to a wonderul little shopping area with boutique stores, galleries, and a good selection of small restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Kudos for rising early enough to meet the sun.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Unique hotel with a cool randomness that manages to be familiar somehow. It looks like it could be a Madmen set...kind of like Madmen meets The Jetsons. Here are some of our observations:
Taxi will cost about $30 from the airport
The hotel has a restaurant (more on that below), but is also within easy walking distance of several others off property.
Friendly and accommodating staff.
Our room (307 in the tower) was huge, with high ceilings. Loved the decor, especially the wallpaper. Temperature was very comfortable.
Awesome bathroom with cool sink and HUGE tub (forget about bathing babies in this tub unless you're getting in too-it's way too deep to reach over). Frosted glass all around. Great finishes.
Some of the not so great things (but not deal breakers for us):
The lighting in the room seemed to be designed for interrogation. WAY too bright.
AC fan is a bit noisy
Tiny TV for the size of the room.
No lamps by the bed.
Towels seem to be strictly rationed.
No top sheet on bed-you have to request one (which they will happily bring, after explaining that it is a European style hotel. Strange...in all the European hotels I've stayed in, I'm certain there were top sheets!). Anyway, this is a minor nuisance.
Room tip: pick a room with a chaise on the balcony that doesn't directly face the pool, but is away from the parking lot. Our room had really uncomfortable balcony furniture, and was right in front of (and above) the pool. Great for people watching (if you can bare the furniture), but not so great for noise.
We ate in the restaurant and also ordered room service. Food was good, with an unusual flare (guyere cheese and green radishes in chopped salad). Shrimp cocktail was surprisingly tasty, but pricey. Grilled chicken is fine but nothing to write home about. Note: they somehow managed to make spinach edible!
One more thing: the phone in our room was mind numbingly loud when it rang, and if you order room service, you will get a call when it's on the way. So...keep this in mind if you have kids who you just managed to get to sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your review! I'm sorry the lighting wasn't to your liking; several of the lights in The Tower rooms do have dimmer switches. While there is not a light next to the bed, there is overhead lighting. I will relay your comment about the phone to our team to make sure the volume is at an appropriate level. Thank you for your feedback.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here in the late '90s with my parents for a wedding and it was okay, but the re-design and renovation is terrific. The room we had was hyper-clean and I loved the bathroom lighting. Kind of like staying in a Japanese aquarium. If you like Atomic Age atmosphere, you will love staying here. If I could afford it, I would hire the firms that worked on this project to do our condo.

Room Tip: I heard the rooms in the Tower were really nice but I did not see them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you were able to visit after the redesign and reopening. We hope you will stay with us again sometime.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel is just like an A-Loft. I was not impressed at all and the food was just so-so. There are much better places to stay. The rooms seem like dorms. Cold and mine had a strange smell that never went away. It was musty and dingy.

• Stayed August 2012
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I’m sorry to hear you did not like the hotel. We are quite different from A-Loft hotels, in that most of them are AAA-three-diamond rated and we are AAA-four-diamond rated. Additionally, we have a full-service spa. Our restaurant, ZuZu, serves seasonal American fare and is overseen by Chef Charles Wiley, who has cooked at the James Beard House on multiple occasions. Regarding the rooms, we fully restored the hotel in 2005, spending $80 million. This included brand-new plumbing, electrical setup, flooring, surfaces, etc. We also have the largest rooms in Downtown Scottsdale, at over 400 square feet. Each room has its own temperature control. If there is any problem with the heating/cooling, our engineering team will certainly address it right away to make sure you are comfortable. Our housekeeping department has very high cleaning standards, and if any type of a smell is reported to us, we will accommodate a room move if possible and address the issue. We offer a wide array of room types from Signature Guest Rooms to spacious Studio Guest Rooms and Tower Suites on the third through sixth floors of The Tower, so there are quite a few options for different tastes. If any concerns are relayed to us, our front desk managers always work to ensure our guests are comfortable. We would have loved the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable, and hope that you will consider another visit.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I got in the cab and the driver ask me where I was going, when I told him, he let out a low whistle and said, you must be the CEO of some big company, cuz that place ain't cheap.

But let's be honest, while $300 a night isn't cheap, it works out when you're staying three nights and getting the fourth free. That shakes out, oh yes it does. Nicely. Especially since the nearby Courtyard Marriott is nearly the same price, half the atmosphere, and no great deal. Ah, Spring Training.

On to the property. Lovely. Just lovely. Everything is luscious, out-of-a-David-Lynch-movie 1960s luscious. The emerald lawn, the turquoise pool, the brilliant orange of the fruit hanging ripe in the trees. It's Arizona, so the place is spread out, ranch style, you may have to do some walking to get where you're going, but it's an enjoyable walk.

The rooms are large, wonderfully done, imaginative design and styling - love the whitewashed brick, love the deep soaking tub and the snazzy sliding bathroom doors. I love that the closet doesn't have heavy doors but a pretty patterned curtain. The beds are soft - memory foam, I believe, and the linens are simple. Great selection of channels on the TV.

The room service, which I use frequently, was excellent. I had nearly everything and it was all perfection - the club, mwah, perfect - and on my last day, when the morning coffee tasted rancid, they brewed me a fresh pot AND took it off my bill. Love. Love. Love. Love above and beyond customer service. I spend half my life in hotels and I only review when they are awful or fantastic, a place has to really stand out, and this place was top notch.

Free internet, paid faster internet, but the free was fast enough for me - and again - always on the road, internet is so paramount to a successful trip. I can't comment on the parking, didn't use it, but left my bags at valet for a day and they were great about it. Always got me a cab promptly.

Location - you couldn't ask for a better location, it's a few blocks from old town and to get there you walk down E. Main/Main st, which is the art district, with lots of galleries and fabulous places to eat. Plus, if you are going for the baseball, the place is about 3/4 a mile from Scottsdale Stadium. I was a little surprised the joint wasn't choked with Giants fans.

All in all, I spent several weeks in Phoenix every Spring and this will be my new go-to hotel. I'm superpsyched to go back.

ps I love the place so much, I filled out the post-stay common card/email they sent. If I did that every time, I'd have carpal tunnel, so, yeah. That's how outstanding this hotel is - you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wow, thank you for your review! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us. There is definitely a lot to do in Downtown Scottsdale. If you like art, you can show your hotel key card at SMoCA (Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art) to get free admission for two. We look forward to your next stay!

Been to Hotel Valley Ho? Share your experiences!