“My Favorite Scottsdale Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4th Night Free
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“My Favorite Scottsdale Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've stayed in several hotels in the area since my brother moved to Phoenix, and this is my favorite. Hip, clean, plenty of space.....

The room we had in our most recent stay was absolutely fantastic - great views of the sunrise coming over the mountain range, comfortable bed, nice balcony, and a more-than-adequate fitness facilty. The staff was friendly as well.

I like that it has a hip vibe to it, but is not an over-the-top party stop. I want to SLEEP in the hotel I stay at, which has not been a problem the several times I have stayed her. Yes, during the summers, they may have an afternoon pool party - but nothing like the W or other true "party" hotels that go in to the wee hours of the night/morning.

Finally, the breakfast in the hotel was great - the fruit was some of the freshest I've had. You can eat healthy if you'd like, or you can be bad. I really enjoy staying at Valley Ho...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments! We do want to provide all of our guests with a good night's sleep. I also love the fruit in ZuZu; we use local, organic ingredients whenever possible and I think it really shows in the cuisine.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked this hotel with high expectations. When I checked in initially, I thought the lobby was charming staff was friendly and the room was well decorated and spacious. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed stains on the curtains and gum on the floor (which I noticed after I stepped on it). I was moved to another room that did not have a working toilet and shorted lights. I was then moved to a third room which had the fancy tub in the middle of the room, but with a shower attachment that flew right off when turned on. I was told by two different people at the front desk that there was free internet in the lobby. When I couldn't log onto the wireless network in the lobby, I was told by a third front desk person that complimentary internet was only available in the business center. Even when I logged onto the hotel computer, the internet was very slow. The staff was apologetic for the hotel's shortcomings; however, this hotel still needs some work. Unfortunately, I don't think that I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We apologize for the issues you had during your stay. These are certainly not typical for us. Our housekeeping team is very thorough and we are reviewing why there were some areas that were missed. It seems that there was some confusion at the front desk regarding our Internet, which our front desk management will immediately address with the team to ensure they are all on the same page (complimentary Internet is available in the business center). We did increase our bandwidth to ensure that we can accommodate more guests using more devices on our network, and typically the speed is very high. We have very competitive offerings when it comes to the amount of devices we can accommodate on our network; we definitely want all of our guests to have reliable, speedy Internet access. Our director of guest operations will be reaching out to you today. We hope that you will return for another visit so we can show you what the hotel is really about. Thank you.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Ok, to start off with a few good points: the hotel is cute, clean for the most part, and when you do get someone's attention they are very kind and polite.
However, for the most part my experience here has been negative.
When we first checked in we were startled to find someone else using a key to enter our room! Turned out they had accidentally assigned the room to two parties! When we called the front desk to let them know what had happened they hardly acknowledged the problem and didn't try to make us feel better or safer about staying in their hotel! Boo! I don't like the feeling that they might give a key to just anyone to walk in my hotel room.  Later, when we came back from dinner we found that our keys for the room no longer worked.  I was happy they had changed the lock, but they could have informed us and given us new keys first!
Secondly wifi is at least ten bucks a day, but in our room we could hardly ever connect to it, worst time connecting to the wifi I've ever had in a hotel AND it's not included?!
Thirdly, we left our room for hours at a time in the middle of the afternoonwith the "time to tidy up" sign on the door, but when we returned 2-3 hours later nobody had been there.  This happened two days in a row!
I was really surprised by the negative experience, the hotel is really cute and fun, but the customer service needs definite work.  Oh, but the valet and bellboys were the best! The rest of the hotel staff could learn something from their customer service techniques.  They were always friendly, chatty, and willing to help.
Overall if customer service could be improved at this hotel I would give it a 5-star rating.  Some tips to the manager: if someone accidentally receives a key to a hotel room a guest is already inhabiting, at least give them a comp drink at the bar, or at the VERY LEAST have someone from the front desk run down to the room to apologize and deliver new room keys.  I did not feel safe or comforted by the staff's reaction to this problem.  Also, perhaps employ a larger cleaning staff.  I've been to many hotels, resorts and inns around the country and the world and I have never had to wait so long for my room to be cleaned after I have hung the sign out on my door.  This has to be either an under-staffing or training issue. Lastly, cough up the free wifi or improve the wifi access in the rooms.  It's really abominable to make your guests pay to have access to wifi that's worse than what they could get at starbucks.  I'm picky on customer service, I know, but to me it makes the difference between a long-term patron or a one-time customer.  I will check around for other options the next time I visit.

**I have to retract the previous statement about the "polite" people at the front desk. Shortly after I posted this my mother found a deal to stay 3 nights and get 1 free. We had paid for 3 nights and thought an extra night of rest before driving to VA would do us good.  The woman at the desk was very short with us and very rudely informed us we couldn't stay the extra night despite having pad more each night than they advertised! It's really too bad about the service, I like the hotel, but the customer service here needs a SERIOUS tune-up**

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the mistake upon check-in. The challenge of assigning two parties to the same room rarely occurs, but to be honest, it does sometimes happen. Occasionally when numerous check-ins are occurring at once. We certainly could have done a better job in resolving the matter, and apologize for the inconvenience; this is directly related to why the keys stopped functioning as noted. We will be sure to address this matter with the front office staff to ensure a proper and more empathetic response in the future.
We will also share your notes with the housekeeping staff. We generally clean our accommodations a little later in the day than other properties as this is what our guests typically request....however, any room with a 'clean room' sign should be made a priority. If you wouldn't mind letting us know which room number you were in, we can ensure the proper housekeeper is spoken to. We can also conduct some Internet signal tests to ensure all the access points are functioning properly as we do not receive many complaints about bandwidth/connectivity. Please understand that while Starbucks does provide free WiFi, it is a far more expensive task to provide 240 guestrooms with Internet access to support multiple devices at once. Many of the hotels in our marketplace have a nightly resort service fee charged to all guests that includes Internet. We have found that these fees upset most guests as many of the included items tend to go unused. We try to keep these items on a pay-for-use model so you are not paying for things you don't use. For the final item, I would need to research what rate plan you stayed on. I will also make sure the front desk does a better job of explaining this. If you were staying on a (OTA) wholesale reservation, booked through Expedia, http://Hotels.com, or a similar online travel site, these types of rates cannot be modified during the stay. If you were staying on a different rate plan, please let me know, and I can investigate further. Nonetheless, it should have been explained more thoroughly. I would like to make this up to you, so please let me know when and in which room you stayed, and I will research further. Thank you.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I think less people would complain about the "noise" if they had a better DJ. Stayed on a Saturday and our excitement quickly subsided after hours of poolside music that blared into our room. Lots of "shout outs" for birthdays that were followed by "Down wit OPP" by Naughty by Nature, Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" and Salt 'n Pepa's "Push It.". If ya miss the old Fort Lauderdale, FL scene where every kitschy store plays caca music by the beach then come spend some time poolside and you'll be transported back
by the beach. "All I wanna do is zooma, zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom..."

The architect/style junkies can appreciate the building, decore and the historical significance it plays in the local tourism industry.

It's a local hotel that has lost it's way. I don't think it's necessary for the hotel to "wh0re itself out" during the off season by attracting a very specific demographic.

Very modern suites, excellent toiletries, great full kitchens and excellent views of the eastern mountain ranges of Phoenix. Views of the Tonto National Forest and Four Peaks. You're reminded of the uniqueness of Arizona and why you chose this as your destination.

• Stayed October 2011
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
We appreciate your comments. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the atmosphere/music at the pool. Mr. P-Body is our DJ on Saturdays through the summer, and we have a band on Fridays as well. The full pool entertainment schedule is listed on our website, and there may be some changes next summer.

October through early March (and sometimes later than that), we do not have entertainment at the pool. Therefore, the atmosphere at the pool and hotel is quite different in non-summer months. Due to the heat in the summertime, our visitors in those months are primarily locals who come to the hotel for our poolside entertainment.

I hope you'll reconsider a visit to the hotel now that the official pool season is over. If you like the hotel's architecture, we do offer a 90-minute tour that is given by experts from a local art & cultural tour company. We also have some great events in ZuZu like happy hour, wine and cocktail tastings, and our monthly Chef's Table.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel exceeded my expectations. The rooms are spacious and clean; the decor is fun. The hotel's attention to detail was impressive. I noticed a maintenance man replacing one of the outdoor lights very late one night. The bellman was friendly and helpful. The front desk quickly and easily accommodated our request to split the bill. They made everything seem easy and seamless. The waiter at the pool brought me water and a menu right away, and the gym was clean and complete. Overall, I'd highly recommend staying here. You'll enjoy the 50's style decor and the hotel's history.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I'm glad you noticed our focus on service - we strive to make all guests very happy! Thank you for your review, and we hope you'll be checking in again sometime.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed in May 2012. Valley Ho is a throw back from the 1960's. Part of me feels like I am in Palm Springs when here. Rooms are updated and funky. Unless you are in a suite, ask for a room with the tub in the middle of the room. Definitely a fun experience. Great gym and spa. The restaurant in the lobby is fantastic. I had dinner and breakfast there. Great service and the food was great. Pool scene is fun, service was good as was the food. Stay here if with girlfriends, family or if you are looking for something different.

Room Tip: Get a room with a tub in the middle of the room...trust me!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
I also like the Studio Guest Rooms with the bathtub in the middle...very fun! We appreciate all of your comments. Please come and see us again!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel was everything I anticipated except for the pool. The staff were friendly, the grounds were well kept, and the food was great. The room was very nice and so was the bed and pillows. In fact, I bought three pillows from the spa because they made my sleeping experience so great! The pool was a bit of a let down. This is one of those situations where the photographer makes something look better than it is. The pool is much smaller than what I thought and it is composed of half saltwater so the taste left in your mouth (not that I am drinking it - but it is always inevitable to taste the salt), is not so nice. The pool is a party pool from the early afternoon on, not what I was hoping for at 4 months pregnant. On the positive side, the waitress and pool staff were very attentive, they always brought water for me and drinks for my husband and one day we had lunch served out there in the shaded area with the misters keeping us cool.
The hotel is also walking distance from OldTown Scottsdale and the free trolley. Something I am so glad someone told us which we took advantage of everyday was the free cold water bottles that valet provides you with. We had cold water everywhere we went and always took some to our room for the evening.
Overall if you are planning on visiting Scottsdale, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm glad you found the bed and pillows so comfortable! We do have entertainment at the pool on weekends in summer, which concludes at the end of September. The pool is more lively during this time, and you can see the dates on our website. If you prefer a quieter day at the pool, I recommend weekdays in summer or any day in non-summer months. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the free trolley; it's a great way to get around Downtown Scottsdale. We hope to see you again!

Been to Hotel Valley Ho? Share your experiences!