“Away From the Crowds!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center

You added We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10438 North Fort McDowell Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85264 (Formerly Radisson Fort McDowell Resort & Casino)   |
Special Rate
Grand Opening Rate
Ranked #45 of 78 Hotels in Scottsdale
Green Valley, Arizona
“Away From the Crowds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are looking for a quality hotel away from town that has a golf course, pool, restaurant, and casino then you will be pleased with the Radisson Fort Mcdowell. When you first see the hotel from the road it appears rather dark & drab but I believe they were trying to design it to be part of the landscape. It's on the Yavapai Indian Reservation. Hence the casino right next door. There's a lovely, open aired feeling lobby as you enter the hotel. We arrived at 3PM, not knowing check in is actually not til 4PM. We had to wait for our room to be cleaned. At 4PM it still was not ready so they graciously offered us an upgraded room.

Everything about the hotel looked relatively new. The room was very clean and modern. My only complaint about the room was the step in tub/shower needed a bathmat in the tub. It was very slippery. We made do with a towel on the tub floor to prevent slipping!
The pool was very crowded but it was over July 4th with lots of families. The water looked cloudy so was not conducive to swimming. We only went one time. There's a bar at the pool which is nice but VERY $$$. 2 drink "specials" cost $20....We played golf at the We Ko Pa course which is part of the property. It's a very popular course, actually 2 courses but one was closed for maintenance. We enjoyed the Saguaro Course. It is very convenient to the hotel. We went to the casino a couple of times. It looks nice & it's just a short walk from the hotel but do NOT expect to win anything. I hardly saw anyone at the cashier window!!! We had dinner 2 nights at the Anhala restaurant. It's pricey but both dinners were delicious.
All in all I would recommend the Radisson as a quality hotel. It's a nice place but it's very secluded, away from everything so you are limited to just the hotel's amenities. We went into Scottsdale one night for dinner which was approx a 1/2 hr drive from the hotel. Fountain Hills is the town nearby. We drove there to see the famous fountain. It's a rather small bedroom community to Scottsdale with some restaurants. It's approx 10 min from the hotel. You will enjoy the hotel if you don't mind staying just on the hotel property!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I got a comp from the casino to stay here for a night. We ended up going on July 3rd when they had some 4th of July festivities. We were able to watch the fireworks from our room which was awesome because the pool was crowded with people and there wasn't really anywhere to sit.

Our room was in the perfect location - on the fourth floor, second room from the end. We only heard a little noise from the room above us. I did wake up at about 2 am to people yelling at each other down the hall. That wasn't pleasant, but for the most part we couldn't really hear much. The doors seem really thin though, as you could hear people talking normally when you walked by their rooms. I'd recommend asking for a room towards the end of the hall if you prefer sleep and privacy.

The room itself is pretty spacious. The bed isn't too comfortable, but I still slept pretty well. The bathroom is set up kind of weird and the lighting isn't great, but there isn't really much to complain about as it is just the bathroom. (ha) Carpets seemed clean, as did the bedding and towels.

The pool was pretty cool too, but it definitely got crowded towards the afternoon. Plenty of lounge chairs, walking space, and umbrellas. The floor gets really hot though so bring flip flops! The prices for food and beer didn't seem too bad. Oh, and the pools are salt water so that's always different.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the end of the hallway, and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
maricopa, arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went to resort on June 29th 2913 with six other couples and our kids for our annual stay at this resort to take the kids swimming to cool off from 113 degree weather and to visit the casino at night. Waited to dusk to go to the pool as kids wanted to swim while they watched poolside movie. When we got nto the pool we found the large adult pool closed because someone had pooped in the pool. This forced everyone including drunk foul mouthed adults to crowd into smaller kids pool in order to cool off from the heat. Then the poolside movie did not work so everyone went back to our rooms. I stopped by the front desk to ask if the big pool would be open in the morning so we could let the kids swim in the kids pool without it being wall to wall people in the pool. I was then told that both pools would be closed the next day because they were having a private party at the pool. I then asked if I could get a free room since their advertise policy is free room if not satisfied with your stay and was told no I couldn't as they could not have for seen someone pooping in the pool or the movie not working. agreed with that but we would not have booked the six rooms that weekend if we knew the pool would be closed for a private party. I asked to speak with the manager and was told there was no manager on duty and to come back in the morning to see the manager. I went back in the morning and spoke to the manager who was dressed in causal pants and a t shirt which I thought was very unprofessional. He also refused to honor free room policy and never said he was sorry for the problem and said we should have been told of the pool closing on Sunday when we booked the rooms and also should have been told before we checked in. He did give me a 20 dollar voucher for the casino but when I tried to use it the casino refused to honor it because I had used another 20 dollar voucher I received upon checking in the day before so I wound up giving it away. Do not believe Raddison policy on free stay if not satisfied with the stay.....

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was to be booked into a room with a King Bed.. I was placed on the 5th floor in a room with two beds. No problem, as I called down and the placed me on the first floor. It was nice. The 5th floor room ad wall paper coming off the wall, just so you are aware.

When I went to bed, at 11 PM.. then about 11:30 or so I heard someone try to come in my room. They tried more than once. But I thought It would be ok, as no one else had a key. Well when I got up in the morning10:00 am, I could see that someone had opened my door. The upper door lock/bar was pushed way out. I immediately packed up my belongings and headed to the front desk. I mentioned this issue to the three young women who were at the front desk, and all I heard was "WOW", then "other than that, how was your stay?" Nothing else was said. I am an older woman traveling on my own and I started to think "What If". I will NEVER stay at this location.. I will NEVER suggest this location to anyone!!! The actions of these three women were so disappointing. I am sure they did not think of what might have happened.. just that it did not happen. So very disappointed and fearful for your next guests!

Room Tip: Not really sure at this point. I could not suggest a room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
cbenell, Front Office Manager at We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Radisson Fort McDowell Resort and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for the Front office Manager.
Conifer, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Have been staying at this hotel since it opened. I absolutely loved this place so every trip to AZ, we would stay here. We stayed here in December on our way to Tucson and wow, things have definitely changed. We were informed by the bell person that "we are now catering to the red crowd". Not sure what he meant by that but judging from the service we received from that point on, I guess we aren't welcome any longer. The reception from the staff at the front desk was extremely poor ~ not friendly at all. The other thing the bell person told us is that they got rid of the sleep number beds because the "red crowd" didn't like them. Now those were good beds. The bell person also informed us that the hotel is keeping the Radisson name, however, they are no longer being managed by Radisson. The Fort McDowell nation is now managing the hotel. If this experience is an indication of things to come, then I will not be visiting this hotel again. Sad, it really was a great place with a great pool and a very friendly staff prior to December. I don't know what this "red crowd" thing means but I don't believe it means me! Radisson should consider dropping their name from this place.

Room Tip: Most rooms at this hotel were pretty nice. Overlooking the pool is obviously a little nicer than ov...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
cbenell, Front Office Manager at We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First: The Ahnala Grill. We used to love this place! Now we won't bother to rush over there . They no longer have a happy hour on every day. It is only on Monday-Thursday. What? This takes out the working people who support this place. The casino is okay but nothing special. If you don't want crowds, stay away from here on the weekends. The hotel lets anyone use the pool facilities for a small fee. The hotel guests have to put up with all their kids and friends! No quiet time to be had. They lost my vote and we will be looking for another place to spend our weekends and money.

Room Tip: third floor has a shared balcony overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
cbenell, Front Office Manager at We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We regret to hear your Happy Hour experience in our Ahnala Restaurant did not meet your expectations. We are re-evaluating extending the Happy Hour to more days, due to a high volume of requests. Your feedback is very important to us and we have passed your concerns to our Food and Beverage Director. Weekends at our resort are very popular with exciting Family events and fun for everyone. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your staying at the resort in the near future.
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here in May 2013 while on a bus tour of the West Coast. This was our first night, and I must say it was absolutely beautiful.
A truly beautiful hotel - the lobby, the exterior, the pool area and the rooms.
I got given a king room and the bed was absolutely divine. So soft and comfortable, the bathroom was really nice also.
The hotel has a casino about a couple of minutes away from the lobby.
Who cares if the casino is not attached to the hotel by an interior walkway. The area surrounding the hotel and the hotel grounds are gorgeous, so I don't understand why anyone would not want to walk around outside.
The casino is a decent size for a hotel. No complaints in getting a slot machine. A lot of places you go you don't always get the machine you want so you have to deal with it.
My only problem, was that we only spent 1 night!
Would highly recommend for anyone travelling through that area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your "absolutely beautiful" review. We too believe our resort is beautiful. Having the casino separated by a small walkway from the Resort, gives our guests an opportunity to experience the beautiful desert surroundings. We appreciate your feedback. Please be sure to like us on Facebook.

Been to We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!